Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Throwing shit and seeing if it sticks type of philosophy, eh? With what cap space? You lot need significant upgrades on D.
Oh please. If they signed one of these terrible contracts for Tanev or OEL you'd be in there roasting them about it. They've got plenty of time to shore up the back end.

You're grasping for straws throughout this thread, which makes me think the Oilers are doing a good job.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think the same. I told everyone I know that he would sign with either Edmonton or Pittsburgh (before he was actually even bought out) for that very reason. I think a player like Connor or sid can really hide skinners flaws because they’re so puck dominant and that’s what he needs. He’s scoring 30-40 for sure if he’s playing with one of those guys all year

Even if he somehow wound up on the 3rd line he’d be playing with Henrique or Nuge, 2nd line quality line mates against 3rd level opposition. I bet he’d at least be able to replicate the numbers he had in buffalo this year at that level, which would be gigantic from our 3rd unit for 3M dollars.

Reactions: Faceboner

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
They don't actually need to upgrade the d, they went to the Cup final with this D and did so while being one of the best defensive teams in the playoffs, and the goaltending wasn't even that great for two out of four rounds. The reason they lost in the Cup Final is because they couldn't find a couple of goals when they needed them.

The Oilers biggest issue in the playoffs was goal scoring. That's why they went out and signed goal scorers. Don't get distracted by arguments from people who haven't been paying attention to the team.

It's insane that a team that held the Panthers to under 2 goals a game for the final four games of a Cup Final is getting criticized for their D. It just isn't the problem that outsiders make it out to be.

Yeah, it SEEMS kinda crazy how little other fans know about the Oilers. But it makes a lot of sense actually. I don't know any other team well enough to really talk about what their needs are in any great detail. The average fan of any given team knows 10x more than even paid hockey commentators on TSN or Sportsnet do about that same team, let alone some random on HFboards.

I agree with you 100% though. The reason we didn't win game 7, and didn't win (even though we dominated) 2 of the other games in the series, was because of lack of scoring. I know everybody has this image of what the Oilers are in their heads, but it wasn't actually true in the finals. When we went against an elite defensive team, we weren't able to bury our chances. Yes, a lot of that was due to the many injuries we had in our "one shot scorers", in that McDavid couldn't really shoot, Drai had a broken rib, and Kane wasn't playing at all due to injury. Those are our 3 best "shooters" on the entire team. But the fact is we didn't have other players that were able to bury the multitude of chances we had. Our D, while not elite, was more than adequate actually.

Again, its not surprising other fans don't know this, like, why would they? You have to know a team inside and out to have a nuanced discussion about that team. It's why I don't comment on other teams very much, because you end up sounding very dumb (like some posters in this thread do talking about the Oilers).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
so if Demko shows up, Petey and Hughes....who combined for 1 goal all series....suddenly show up?
Blud, you got bigger things to worry about than other teams players; 0 points for McDavid in Games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Oh please. If they signed one of these terrible contracts for Tanev or OEL you'd be in there roasting them about it. They've got plenty of time to shore up the back end.

You're grasping for straws throughout this thread, which makes me think the Oilers are doing a good job.
The point of offseasons is to fix weaknesses, not add to strengths fam.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Throwing shit and seeing if it sticks type of philosophy, eh? With what cap space? You lot need significant upgrades on D.
Well the shit defenceman that were signed yesterday will be worth it in a few years! And oilers are good at defence. It's not 2021.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well, they definitely had a great chance to beat you lot if they had Demko in net. I know it is a bunch of "what if's," but if we look back and Canucks had Demko, they win that series in six games. Plus factor in that the Oilers were fairly healthy for at least 98% of the entire season. Good chance they face more injuries than the little that they sustained.
they were lucky to face the worst Skinner played in games 1, 2, 3. After the pull Skinner woke up. You don't think that had more a consequence on the series than Silovs? Siloves who played very well and wasn't a reason for the loss.

Get over it. Canucks lost, not "almost won"

Also McDavid was injured in November and played like crap all year, ( not himself, no shooting, no beating players 1 on 1, he had to adapt to his game more than ever last year)

Reactions: PuckG and mattihp

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
If he doesn’t try to touch the puck much and just let Connor or Leon set him up he should be fine
I think the problem is he doesn't do that. He tries to do everything by himself way too often without using his linemates.
I do wonder people putting Skinner in the top 6 realize he's a puckhog would probably be better off far away from Drai or McDavid.
Yeah he's a puckhog. There's a reason why he ends up on the third line a lot.

Reactions: RWatson29

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Blud, you got bigger things to worry about than other teams players; 0 points for McDavid in Games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

The point of offseasons is to fix weaknesses, not add to strengths fam.
Listen blud, it's all G, the Oilers have nothing to worry about, fam

All the teams we played along our playoff journey are worse now than they were when we played them. Avs and VGK haven't done much either. We've been the most active and still have plenty of time to keep working. Given our current cap situation, it is obvious some more moves will be happening.

I'd rather we be patient than throwing some money at a free agent for the back end, when none of the guys that are out there would really move the needle when you think about what they were paid. That's the way of the old crappy Oilers who were probably a lot more fun to make fun of for you

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
they were lucky to face the worst Skinner played in games 1, 2, 3. After the pull Skinner woke up. You don't think that had more a consequence on the series than Silovs? Siloves who played very well and wasn't a reason for the loss.

Get over it. Canucks lost, not "almost won"

Also McDavid was injured in November and played like crap all year, ( not himself, no shooting, no beating players 1 on 1, he had to adapt to his game more than ever last year)
Skinner is more like games 1, 2, and 3 than the Skinner we saw in the latter half and in the Cup Finals. Knoblach covers a lot of his mistakes, but when teams have more time to face his style, more of the same weaknesses will be exposed like it was under Woodcraft.

He had a very playable injury though. The oilers were very lucky to have pretty much the entire season injury-free until the last couple of games of the Finals with Kane and Draisaitl. Probability states there is a higher likelihood of facing more injuries than the pure health they were given last season. There is also a higher probability of their PK regressing as well.

lol, couldn't answer my question
There's no reason to answer it because the results speak for themselves. Canucks are frauds but so are you lot.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Maybe lighten up on the confrontative stuff and go old school hf and discuss?

Someone who sees something else than you might still have points. The truth can sometimes be between what you think and what the other person says. Or sometimes you are right, but no one else can see it because of how you put it forward.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Skinner is more like games 1, 2, and 3 than the Skinner we saw in the latter half and in the Cup Finals. Knoblach covers a lot of his mistakes, but when teams have more time to face his style, more of the same weaknesses will be exposed like it was under Woodcraft.

He had a very playable injury though. The oilers were very lucky to have pretty much the entire season injury-free until the last couple of games of the Finals with Kane and Draisaitl. Probability states there is a higher likelihood of facing more injuries than the pure health they were given last season. There is also a higher probability of their PK regressing as well.

There's no reason to answer it because the results speak for themselves. Canucks are frauds but so are you lot.
Doesn't change anything, Skinner played amazing after the pull and was undefeated in games 4-7 until the finals. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't change the fact that he was ass before it and the Canucks benefitted from it.

McDavid's injury was playable, but not the in the way that didn't affect him, he couldn't shoot or drop his shoulder. He was 1 on 1 many times against a goalie and couldn't shoot the puck, or drop a shoulder to beat a defender, he adapted and turned into a pass first player, but you don't think if McDavid could shoot the puck he'd have more a difference this year?

Again, none of what you said in this post matters because we aren't talking about next year, we are about when the Canucks "almost won" in the second round.

Also Oilers are not frauds, they have been a consistent top team in the west for the last 3 years while the Canucks haven't been. It also looks like the Canucks took a step backwards in UFA so far by not hitting on their targets. We will see though right? Thats why they play the games, games aren't won on paper.

Reactions: mattihp

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I think the problem is he doesn't do that. He tries to do everything by himself way too often without using his linemates.

Yeah he's a puckhog. There's a reason why he ends up on the third line a lot.
that’s what I mean. If he was smart he wouldn’t try to touch the puck

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
Well, they definitely had a great chance to beat you lot if they had Demko in net. I know it is a bunch of "what if's," but if we look back and Canucks had Demko, they win that series in six games. Plus factor in that the Oilers were fairly healthy for at least 98% of the entire season. Good chance they face more injuries than the little that they sustained.
00iJWLI.png

I'm going to have to update this to "it's been two months", aren't I?

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
He drove offense all by himself his whole career in Carolina. You don’t want him carrying the puck through the neutral zone because he gets sloppy there but once he hits the line he never really needed anyone else.
I always saw him as a guy on Carolina that was great at creating for himself off of forechecks and stuff like that. Maybe he just started playing like a total idiot when he came to buffalo 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad