Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I absolutely love this for them. Skinner has a lot of Buffalo/Carolina stink on him, but he’s a uniquely talented finisher near the net. His whole career he’s been good for 30 goals with very little support to capitalize on his skillset. Only 32, plenty of tread on those tires, and he’s got all the motivation in the world to make up for lost time in the playoffs.

Putting him on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl is actually scary. This is a guy who is always nose to the ground for pucks in front. He could legitimately blow up on that power play.

That’s a ridiculous steal at 1x$3M. If it somehow busts, who cares? If he shows up as his best self, it’s the best contract in the league for 24-25.
Nailed it. Especially the "uniquely talented finisher" line. The NHL hasn't seen Skinner on a good team for a long time, his talents will be shining brightly again very soon.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't like this. I should clarify as this in my mind means we've lost out on Henrique. Not a problem with 3m for a 20+ goal scorer. Also won't be using cap space to improve the RD or address the 3C situation. Man I hope I'm wrong and we move McLeod out for a veteran 3C

I guess the plus side is taking a player off Buffalo didn't hurt for Vegas and Florida.
they got Henrique as well

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I really don't think Skinner is going to see much of a bump in his production that others are predicting. He always does his own thing out there on the ice. Probably would drive McDavid crazy if they're on the same line.
Might just work out fine because McDavid pretty much does whatever he wants on the ice as well...

Wonder if he could still do a double toe loop

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Great value for a guy who might very well score 40+ next year beside McDrai… but is Edmonton really not going to address that Defense?

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Great value for a guy who might very well score 40+ next year beside McDrai… but is Edmonton really not going to address that Defense?
I keep seeing that by the stats we had some of the best performing D for most of the year when Knobber took over, though I admit I havent looked for myself. The 2nd pair doesn't look pretty no matter how you cut it imo, but the team overall is effective. They made it to G7 of the SCF for christ sake, and Ceci looks like a good deal compared to some of the deals handed out today.

We'll upgrade the D at the deadline when Doughty decides he wants another cup, and not to spend his twilight years on a lottery team that seems to piss away assets (I'm so glad I'm not saying that about my team anymore lmao)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I keep seeing that by the stats we had some of the best performing D for most of the year when Knobber took over, though I admit I havent looked for myself. The 2nd pair doesn't look pretty no matter how you cut it imo, but the team overall is effective. They made it to G7 of the SCF for christ sake, and Ceci looks like a good deal compared to some of the deals handed out today.

We'll upgrade the D at the deadline when Doughty decides he wants another cup, and not to spend his twilight years on a lottery team that seems to piss away assets (I'm so glad I'm not saying that about my team anymore lmao)
Yeah, final 70 games of the season once Knoblauch was hired the Oilers were the 5th best team in the league in GA/G and 2.66GA. In the finals the Oilers biggest issue in the games they lost wasn't goals against/defending. It was capitalizing on scoring chances.

Reactions: fuswald

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, final 70 games of the season once Knoblauch was hired the Oilers were the 5th best team in the league in GA/G and 2.66GA. In the finals the Oilers biggest issue in the games they lost wasn't goals against/defending. It was capitalizing on scoring chances.

The D proved themselves in the playoffs anyway, Vancouver/Dallas/Florida all had massive problems scoring against that D the longer the series went on which indicates a D that was getting better at shutting teams down the more they got to play an opponent. Even Florida was relatively offensively shut down the last 4 games of the series (held to below 2 goals per game in that stretch).

Knoblaugh and Coffey were fantastic hires, unlike Woodcroft the team actually plays a structured game more akin to like the Penguins teams in Crosby's prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad