Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Adam Henrique re-signs with the Oilers (2 years, $3M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
One of the most important factors especially for players that haven't won a cup is being a team they see as a contender for a chance for them to win a cup.
For sure. I wouldn't say all players are like this though, some really are fine with just a paycheque and a lifestyle. For Henrique though, this move proves he cares about the Cup. Type of player you want to go to war with.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They could dump Ceci and be under the cap even with Kane not on LTIR.
Moving Ceci leaves a rather large need at RD behind Bouchard tho. Broberg as a rookie 2nd pairing on his off side? Or Kulak on his off side?

Also I think McLeod is good, and I think Ceci is bad so I want Mcleod and not Ceci

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Good contract

Liked edmontons moves so far

Either getting rid of Ceci and promoting broberg to full time, or getting a ufa dman or swapping Kane for a dman and him taking Ceci’s role and looking for a goalie to backup skinner would probably be how I round out the offseason

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Moving Ceci leaves a rather large need at RD behind Bouchard tho. Broberg as a rookie 2nd pairing on his off side? Or Kulak on his off side?

Also I think McLeod is good, and I think Ceci is bad so I want Mcleod and not Ceci
Maybe, but maybe not. Broberg played 2RD in the SCF and looked good doing it. Ceci was moved to play with Kulak on the 3rd pairing.

If you dump Ceci you have enough cap to add a legitimate top 4D at the deadline if Broberg shows he's not capable of handling that role, but I just watched the kid do it on the most difficult stage a week ago.

• Love

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Maybe, but maybe not. Broberg played 2RD in the SCF and looked good doing it. Ceci was moved to play with Kulak on the 3rd pairing.

If you dump Ceci you have enough cap to add a legitimate top 4D at the deadline if Broberg shows he's not capable of handling that role, but I just watched the kid do it on the most difficult stage a week ago.
I agree he looked good. But that's a very small sample size to trust in.

Also the rental RD market looks iffy this coming season

Larsson (who won't waive for edmonton)
Ekblad (who, in order to get to the cap hit edmonton needs is going to cost a fortune as well as being unlikely to be sold by a contender)
Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 10.32.01 PM.png

So your best bet is what? Pionk? 34 year old Savard? (also, I think MTL might just be able to turn this RHD market into a 1st with savard).

Do you really want to have to pay a 1st round pick to get David Savard, who I'm not sure is much better than Cody Ceci himself.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

Oilers have also signed Stecher. When healthy, he is more than adequate on

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Wow, super impressive, didn’t think that was possible. Now who goes to clear cap and pay for Holloway and Broberg?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Insane what Jeff Jackson has done today in Edmonton.

Stanley Cup favorites heading into next season. And still have an opportunity to move out Ceci + McLeod to upgrade the defense by the trade deadline.
They have to move out more than that to sign Holloway and be under the cap.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I mean, it was good enough to get to game 7 of the SCF. When your forward group is that deep your D just has to be "good enough" and I think the Oilers have that.

Agreed although a good second pair would go along way in fending off other contenders in 24-25. Hell I would say if they had a competent second pairing they likely get past the Canucks in 5 games which may have preserved Draisaitl/Kane enough to be more effective in the SCF.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Broberg broke out and can play the right side, and we already have an elite top pairing and a very strong bottom pairing. The defense is fine, as was proven in the playoffs

You would think they would want to allocate some of that money to upgrade the back end. They still went down 3-0 and then lost.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree he looked good. But that's a very small sample size to trust in.

Also the rental RD market looks iffy this coming season

Larsson (who won't waive for edmonton)
Ekblad (who, in order to get to the cap hit edmonton needs is going to cost a fortune as well as being unlikely to be sold by a contender)
View attachment 891159

So your best bet is what? Pionk? 34 year old Savard? (also, I think MTL might just be able to turn this RHD market into a 1st with savard).

Do you really want to have to pay a 1st round pick to get David Savard, who I'm not sure is much better than Cody Ceci himself.
Larsson might actually consider a reunion if Seattle is out of the picture. Klefbom retiring played a big factor in him leaving, and the Oilers have 3 Swedes on the team in Ekholm, Arvidsson (from the same town as him), and Broberg. Its not like he'd be signing on for more than a few months of hockey.

Regardless, dumping Ceci makes the most sense and McLeod only frees up 1 mil over a replacement level player. Broberg needs a chance to play elevated minutes and there will always be some decent TDL options if he struggles.

This is without even considering that Kane might be on LTIR for a large part of the season if he needs hip surgery, in which case they wouldn't need to move anyone. I'm not a huge fan of Ceci's game though which is why I want him moved. His puck retrievals get them hemmed in way too often while Broberg's puck retrieval is excellent.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Larsson might actually consider a reunion if Seattle is out of the picture. Klefbom retiring played a big factor in him leaving, and the Oilers have 3 Swedes on the team in Ekholm, Arvidsson (from the same town as him), and Broberg. Its not like he'd be signing on for more than a few months of hockey.

Regardless, dumping Ceci makes the most sense and McLeod only frees up 1 mil over a replacement level player. Broberg needs a chance to play elevated minutes and there will always be some decent TDL options if he struggles.

This is without even considering that Kane might be on LTIR for a large part of the season if he needs hip surgery, in which case they wouldn't need to move anyone. I'm not a huge fan of Ceci's game though which is why I want him moved. His puck retrievals get them hemmed in way too often while Broberg's puck retrieval is excellent.
If I'm not mistaken didn't larsson leave because his father died while in edmonton?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If I'm not mistaken didn't larsson leave because his father died while in edmonton?
He did, but that was 4 years ago. I understand why he left at the time, and losing his buddy Klefbom that year also probably didn't help. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that he has grieved and would be willing to return for a cup run if the situations align.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He did, but that was 4 years ago. I understand why he left at the time, and losing his buddy Klefbom that year also probably didn't help. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that he has grieved and would be willing to return for a cup run if the situations align.
I think that's very optimistic thinking. Safer bet would be to assume that a guy who left for that isn't going to want to come back, especially when there will be plenty of other suitors

Reactions: Oilslick941611

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that's very optimistic thinking. Safer bet would be to assume that a guy who left for that isn't going to want to come back, especially when there will be plenty of other suitors
Sure. Doesn't change my stance on what the Oilers should do because I think Broberg is an upgrade on Ceci and would prefer just about any replacement over Ceci come playoff time next year. Don't care if they end up having to overpay a bit.

The Oilers have never had anything close to this forward group they currently have. They'll have multiple top 6 players playing in their bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad