Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Buffalo fans do not seem too happy. Maybe the team saw something in him that they did not like?

Their board is actually more mixed about the trade than I thought it would be. Only about half of them hate it. I think the other half are just impatient and want to see Adams make moves.

In fairness, it does seem like Buffalo keeps drafting the same type of forwards.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Buffalo is a team you can definitely take a chance on that they are not handling or developing a player well. Zito smoked them on Montour. Eichel cup as soon as he escapes. Examples keep doing on and on. One of the consistently worst managed teams ever. They left the decade of darkness Katz Oilers in the dust some time ago.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
It is interesting how those on here were saying they thought they would just get a late pick to take McLeod with his salary and then think that the addition of Tullio had NOTHING to do with get the package of Savoie they did.

For me its people under valuing McLeod, and to some extent over valuing M. Savoie who is still an unknown at the NHL level and on the small side like Yamamoto was/is. M. Savoie and Yamamoto play different offensive styles with Savoie being more high end skill play driving and Yamamoto being more of a net front/finisher and supporting play (in Junior) but they will face the same challenge of size.

As for Tullio, much like C. Savoie his offensive development stagnated and that couldn't have helped his value.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Buffalo is a team you can definitely take a chance on that they are not handling or developing a player well. Zito smoked them on Montour. Eichel cup as soon as he escapes. Examples keep doing on and on. One of the consistently worst managed teams ever. They left the decade of darkness Katz Oilers in the dust some time ago.

Some teams start spiralling a bit when rebuilds don't go as planned and then it just snowballs. After 3/4/5 years fans get antsy, ownership gets antsy, everyone is sick of losing and then attempts to fix everything start happening, but it just ends up worsening the problem. Honestly, if we didn't land McDavid we might still be in that cycle with them.

This smells a lot like a "we need depth now, not another scoring prospect!" type deal, which isn't necessarily a bad idea. They just didn't trade the correct prospect for the correct player.

Reactions: oobga

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
McLeod will probably help Buffalo with his skating and PK ability, but he is one of the softer players in the NHL and you could see at times he was intimidated out there. Unbelievable how good the offseason has been so far, now just upgrade the defense!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
in a way things come full circle in the sense that Savoie might be worth a mid/late 1st and a 2nd (Griffin Reinhart) and McLeod might be worth Griffin Reinhart (and Tulio? somehow).

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
For me its people under valuing McLeod, and to some extent over valuing M. Savoie who is still an unknown at the NHL level and on the small side like Yamamoto was/is. M. Savoie and Yamamoto play different offensive styles with Savoie being more high end skill play driving and Yamamoto being more of a net front/finisher and supporting play (in Junior) but they will face the same challenge of size.

As for Tullio, much like C. Savoie his offensive development stagnated and that couldn't have helped his value.
Savoie is 2" taller and 25 lbs heavier than Yamo.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Made cap space and got the #1 prospect from another club while doing it... calling this anything but a win is nothing but being biased against the Oilers... and there's obviously a LOT of people out there biased against the Oilers,

So far this off-season has been pretty, pretty good.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wouldn’t have taken 1st for Mcleod. So a 1st round high pedigree prospect makes sense to me.

Savoie sounds undersized though. He better be way more skilled than Yamo. Sounds like he is though.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
How has JJ’s summer been?

Kinda like this I’d say:

wiffleballkid-wiffle.gif

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Edit: sorry I didn’t realize you were a Buffalo poster, not trying to put salt in. I do think McLeod will have a positive impact on your NHL roster this year. Have a good one
No salt here. We all good. As I said in the Sabres board, this move hurts my heart, but I understand it. Probably easier that it's edmonton getting savoie for me. Despite being a Sabres fan, I live in YK. Your city's hospitality during the evacuation last summer made me root for edmonton as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad