Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I said Adams overpaid massively.
My overpay comment on McLeod was directed to the cap dump part of the prior post. From an Oilers perspective he's a cap dump, but in the overall perspective of the league he wouldn't be seen as a typical cap dump as his contract is reasonable.

I agree Adams overpaid. I'm sure Edmonton would have considered a slightly lesser prospect.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah I am actually a McLeod fan. He still has room to grow in his game, is big (even though butter soft), exceptionally fast, good at both ends of the rink, and has lots of experience. He was a known commodity within the team.

This trade, while likely required, means that we are thin at experienced forward if there are some injuries, and Savoie isn't going to help win a cup next year (as he likely just plays in the AHL all year). I don't think this is some "grand slam" trade like everybody is saying. We traded an actual NHL'er for a prospect - even if it was a good prospect.
Thin at forward? How do you figure that?

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure? I just don’t know if he fits the defensive acumen required out of a depth C. I’d rather we’d develop him on the wing and have him move into the top 6 sometimes.

4Cs are dime a dozen and don’t cost jack shit. Holloway showed in the playoffs he can play with the best, he just needs to be more consistent.

If he’s as smart as he’s shown, he’ll either hire someone he knows very well or promote internally and still be very hands on.

Disagree. He won’t play LW ahead of RNH or Skinner and Janmark will see more 3C / defensive roles. I anticipate Holloway will play both wing and C and play up and down the lineup as the situation and circumstances dictate.

A 4C spot is a place he can develop against mediocre competition and utilize his speed. He’s inexpensive. And much higher upside to his game which creates favourable competitive imbalances on the 4th line. That’s what the kind of depth we now have does.

We have a depth 4C in Ryan as well.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The idea of having a guy as skilled as Savoie down in Bako as an injury call-up is pretty wild.

Feels like the team has basically never had anyone worth calling up.

Would be nice to add some skill down there especially if he can play Center.

I haven’t loved the previous couple years where guys like Maloneand McKegg have been our centers.

That being said, first year in AHL could be tough with Savoie.

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Savoie's draft year comparable was Matthew Barzal.

That should excite you a good bit.
I like Barzal a lot, so yes it does. ;)
I don't get too excited over draft position though. Plenty of guys get drafted in the top 10 and don't amount to much. Oiler fans should know that better than anybody.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
For sure, and looking at 8 one-way contracts, all requiring waivers on the blue line where only one of them has played games in the minors since COVID (but that one player is being penciled into the top 4) tells me somethings going to give there as well and Kane may be able to stay after all. At this point it would be shocking to see both Ceci and Kulak back in the fall.

The thing is though, those contracts come with term. Most teams won’t claim a #6/7 with 3 years left at 1 million because then you’re stuck with the contract if it doesn’t pay off

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I mean it’s quite a bit different. Savoie was drafted 9 OA in 2022, this isn’t a second or third round pick that’s had a few promising years. He’s got pedigree.

Unless he has an unreal camp and preseason he’s gonna start in Bakersfield.

I imagine either the Oilers pick up one more depth centre and start the year like:

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrqiue-Brown
Holloway-Hamblin/Ryan/4C-Perry

Line 4 will get more 5 on 5 ice while Line 3 will get a full compliment of PK usage.

You can easily also shift Nuge to C too
All I meant was I'm definitely not going to pencil Savoie in as a top 6 option until we actually see it.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The thing is though, those contracts come with term. Most teams won’t claim a #6/7 with 3 years left at 1 million because then you’re stuck with the contract if it doesn’t pay off
Or they just waive them again since the full amount can be buried without consequence.

That said, I'm not overly concerned about waiver claims on Brown or Stetcher, but since neither of them have played a game in the minors since 2018, I'm not thinking they signed here just for a plane ticket to Bakersfield so there's something brewing.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I just posted in the trade thread about exactly that. It is now possible to get under the cap (albeit with a 20 man roster) if Kane gets healthy during the season

Yup, with some pretty easy to pull off day 1 moves (waiver and such) we are now compliant with a 20 man roster.

Does someone like Savoie pencil in place of someone like SKinner in following years?

Cheap top 6 players are very very valuable during Cup Windows.

I think the "dream scenario" is that he replaces Skinner on the 2nd line once Skinner moves after this year (which he 100% will do). But there is a lot of space between that hope and reality. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Wow so now we’re $354k over the cap, easy fix, send someone down, fit Kane on LTIR then call him back.

Reactions: grego

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yup, with some pretty easy to pull off day 1 moves (waiver and such) we are now compliant with a 20 man roster.

I think the "dream scenario" is that he replaces Skinner on the 2nd line once Skinner moves after this year (which he 100% will do). But there is a lot of space between that hope and reality. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yep. And considering the moves are Ryan (turns 38 mid season), Brown (3 years left at 1.0), and Stecher (2 years left, coming off surgery), there’s a pretty decent chance they all clear too

Reactions: grego

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Savoie has 3 ELC years left before RFA. This is a perfect acquisition, given he can continue excelling at higher levels.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I legit had to double check that this trade announcement didn’t come from a parody Oilers account when I saw it on X.

I would have given McLeod away for nothing. He is one of the softest players I’ve ever seen in an Oilers uniform and not someone you win with in the playoffs.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Nuge as 3C and Henrique as 4C

I doubt Henrique came here to play 4C and the Oilers also didn't pay him 3 million to do so... He will be on the third line with Brown and probably Janmark/Kane/Holloway rotation to find a fit long term.

With the retaining of all of the bottom six except for Foegele and Carrick, especially with Henrique signed for two years the writing was on the wall for McLeod. I see him being moved effecting the PK a lot less than the loss of Vinny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad