Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
You missed Kane.

Henrique scored 24 goals last year, he's going to get his minutes at evens.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some wild lineups this year, like McDavid Nuge Drasaitl Henrique down the middle, hell they could run a Nuge-McDavid-Drai line now and still have threats down the lineup.

With Kane healthy, I don't see Janmark-Henrique-Brown sticking together, you can't stick Kane on the fourth line with no one to play with. However, IF Savoie cracks the lineup, you could have some insane looking lineups:

Savoie - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Holloway
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

Without Savoie, throw Perry in and you could do:

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Perry
Janmark - Holloway - Brown

Stacking McDrai:

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Henrique - Arvidsson
Kane - Nuge - Holloway
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

There's so many different configurations they could use now. It's going to be so difficult to game plan against.

Based on recent reports of Kane’s health and the recovery time required I believe he’ll start the year on LTIR. That’s why he was excluded.

Reactions: Oilhawks

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Holy Shit, no way did the Oilers get Matt Savoie for McLeod (Tullio is just a throw in).
How Jeff Jackson. How? And I'm one of the few who liked McLeod but they just got a high upside CHEAP prospect that will be really beneficial going forward. Why did Buffalo do this?
What do you mean Tullio is just a throw in? 42 goals in the OHL, best of the group of Borgault, Savoie and Petrov.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I think Holloway starts in the 4C spot.

Sure? I just don’t know if he fits the defensive acumen required out of a depth C. I’d rather we’d develop him on the wing and have him move into the top 6 sometimes.

4Cs are dime a dozen and don’t cost jack shit. Holloway showed in the playoffs he can play with the best, he just needs to be more consistent.

Give Jackson whatever salary he wants to stay as gm

If he’s as smart as he’s shown, he’ll either hire someone he knows very well or promote internally and still be very hands on.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I do wonder if Savoie gets flipped into something else. Maybe they intend to use him.

He has played mostly as a center?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Kind of figured Mcleod was on his way out, and he was my pick for trade in the "who gets moved" thread. Everyone was waiting for a Ceci trade, but he has value as a PKer that would need to be replaced, while Mcleod lacked consistency and became an afterthought by the coaching staff by the end of the playoffs.

I am shocked that the Oilers did a quantity for quality trade though. Matt Savoie might be in tough due to his size and health as an NHLer, but he's still a pretty high potential prospect.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Someone proposed McLeod for a first rounder top 15 protected and I thought that was absurd, an overpay for a cap dump

No, guess I was wrong.

Reactions: McDoused

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Although… McLeod is somewhat of a cap dump and Adams still overpaid massively.

One wonders why he didn’t trade for somebody else if Savoie was on the table.

McLeod isn't really massively overpaid though. Probably right close to market value, he's just making a little too much to be on the teams 4th line when they are over the cap.

100% I think Edmonton got the better of the value in the trade, but it's not in the realm of the biggest stinkers of Oilers GMs past.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Actual highway robbery for us and I'm one of the few fans who wanted to keep McLeod. But for that kind of return, good luck on the rest of your career Ryan.

Top 10 pick who had 2ppg in junior and ppg in the AHL. Fast and skilled, giving us a likely top 9, possibly top 6 forward for the next few years on an ELC in the very difficult to navigate McDrai and Bouchard contract years. He even killed penalties in junior. Also happens to be a local kid so chances are he'll be willing to stay here long-term/be comfortable with the environment.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I do wonder if Savoie gets flipped into something else. Maybe they intend to use him.

He has played mostly as a center?
No way, you don't flip an elite prospect especially when you have some monster contracts to contend with in the next few years. This is the exact type of player you want in the organization, cheap cost controlled for the next 3 years (not sure if they burned an ELC year yet) with big upside. They might have to trade him down the line if he's due for a big contract but I can't see that being a smart move now unless it brings in a top young Dman or something but, then again, how would they fit in that contract.

Reactions: TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Best of luck to McLeod.

Don't mind taking the chance with Savoie. Only 2 years removed from going #9 OA. Kept improving his scoring in Jr. 2-3-5 in 6 games in his first little stint in AHL. Hope he can take the next step.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I just posted in the trade thread about exactly that. It is now possible to get under the cap (albeit with a 20 man roster) if Kane gets healthy during the season

For sure, and looking at 8 one-way contracts, all requiring waivers on the blue line where only one of them has played games in the minors since COVID (but that one player is being penciled into the top 4) tells me somethings going to give there as well and Kane may be able to stay after all. At this point it would be shocking to see both Ceci and Kulak back in the fall.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
McLeod isn't really massively overpaid though. Probably right close to market value, he's just making a little too much to be on the teams 4th line when they are over the cap.

100% I think Edmonton got the better of the value in the trade, but it's not in the realm of the biggest stinkers of Oilers GMs past.
I said Adams overpaid massively.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No way, you don't flip an elite prospect especially when you have some monster contracts to contend with in the next few years. This is the exact type of player you want in the organization, cheap cost controlled for the next 3 years (not sure if they burned an ELC year yet) with big upside. They might have to trade him down the line if he's due for a big contract but I can't see that being a smart move now unless it brings in a top young Dman or something but, then again, how would they fit in that contract.
Yeah, it's way to early to know exactly what will come of it. But ultimately we're in a better position today in terms of current prospects and in terms of tradeable assets than we were 7 days ago. That's something I definitely wasn't expecting going into the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad