Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean if we have a few injuries, not just 1. We are the oldest team in the league, so that isn't completely unlikely. I should have been more clear in my original post.
We're also the oldest team in the league, so even if you have a couple injuries, there's lots of old farts in the lineup.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
The fact he is a local kid is just icing on the cake man.

Fair enough, but I think that is a concern for any team. Savoie will be in minors and gives us a legit top 6 call up option.
Does someone like Savoie pencil in place of someone like SKinner in following years?

Cheap top 6 players are very very valuable during Cup Windows.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Does someone like Savoie pencil in place of someone like SKinner in following years?

Cheap top 6 players are very very valuable during Cup Windows.
Yup. Have to think that is the idea. Similar size profile and skill set to Skinner. Has 3 full years on ELC and then RFA years afterward

Reactions: alanschu

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Holy s***.

Jackson, just keep the job man. You're incredible
He’s really identifying the problems with the Oilers and taking care of business! McLeod, despite his great speed and good size, was too streaky of a scorer and would disappear for long stretches including the playoffs the last couple of years and I thought as well that he’s expendable! Saved 2 million too! 👍🏻

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Sabres fan who comes in peace.
How are the guys we got back from you guys.
Savoie was a top A+ prospect for the Sabres . Unfortunately he was injured early last season and couldn't crack the roster.
McLeod can fly, great skater, has good hands, non physichal, can PK, heard he is a good face off guy, a bit intimidated by contact, can score some goals actually - that is maybe what can be worked on - being an elite PK goalscorer.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I knew Savoie was good before just looking at this stats last season and he had almost a goal per game and over 2 points a game in junior and PPG in short AHL sample size. Who knows if he pans out but high high offensive upside. Shocking that Buffalo would give him up unless they REALLY believe in McLeod.

And he cleared cap space to do it. Nuts

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Even from a timeline perspective this is amazing. This is 7 years contracting rights for a top 10 pick for 2 years of contracting rights for a high 2nd round pick.

I like McLeod and think he likely helps Buffalo quite a bit this year, but this is JJ showing that his has an eye for impeccable timing in terms of when players are most valuable to the team in a trade.

A year from now McLeod is 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights with very little trade value unless he exploded for 70 points. But there's no way he'd have a season like that with all the players ahead of him on the depth charts. Keep that in mind if McLeod has a breakout this year in Buffalo as he's likely going to be given a much more offensive role there than he'd ever have got here.

To add to this, McLeod is the exact type of player that has a decent year, then re-signs for too much money and too much term due to the threat of arbitration. The type of deal that you regret quickly. That's all gone now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I heard this trade was on the burners since draft day and JJ said we want Savoie take it or leave it.

I wonder what we can't squeeze another GM is doing, hopefully taking notes

Reactions: McDoused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, it's not even in the same stratosphere of bad as that trade. Arguably Edmonton gave up the 2 highest valued assets in the trade.

McLeod is still an everyday NHLer on almost any NHL team with high end skating, strong penalty killing and defensive play. Tullio isn't a complete throwaway either.
Although… McLeod is somewhat of a cap dump and Adams still overpaid massively.

One wonders why he didn’t trade for somebody else if Savoie was on the table.

Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad