Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I rarely to never comment on players playing outside the NHL because I'm in over my head on those topics, but a recent top 10 pick on a seemingly fine trajectory sure sounds like a pretty darn good return for a passable 3C we aren't even really sure we could afford anyways.

Ryan McLeod is a better player than his hate parade thinks he is though and this one is a bit puzzling because it doesn't really free up enough cap to solve that problem.

Yeah I am actually a McLeod fan. He still has room to grow in his game, is big (even though butter soft), exceptionally fast, good at both ends of the rink, and has lots of experience. He was a known commodity within the team.

This trade, while likely required, means that we are thin at experienced forward if there are some injuries, and Savoie isn't going to help win a cup next year (as he likely just plays in the AHL all year). I don't think this is some "grand slam" trade like everybody is saying. We traded an actual NHL'er for a prospect - even if it was a good prospect.

Reactions: Satire

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Unbelievable honestly. I can't even understand the reasoning for this from Buffalo's end, unless they really needed the bottom six guy that badly. I don't even think the kid needs much time developmentally in the A. Absolutely giddy.. local kid too!

McLeod skating can be tantalizing and he was huge part of PK, but no doubt we sold high at a great time here

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I am actually a McLeod fan. He still has room to grow in his game, is big (even though butter soft), exceptionally fast, good at both ends of the rink, and has lots of experience. He was a known commodity within the team.

This trade, while likely required, means that we are thin at experienced forward if there are some injuries, and Savoie isn't going to help win a cup next year (as he likely just plays in the AHL all year). I don't think this is some "grand slam" trade like everybody is saying. We traded an actual NHL'er for a prospect - even if it was a good prospect.
I highly doubt the Oilers are done at 4C. We can still acquire someone like Dowd

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

Er… huh?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think they'd pry away a top prospect like this (that's exactly what he is) only to dump him in a trade deadline move. They need to refill the pipeline but this kid is almost ready to join. Like wow, Jackson...
Possibly and if nothing else Bakersfield needs offense this year and he should be able to provide it.

Hopefully he makes it hard for them to consider trading him, but Edmonton did burn one of their 1sts from the next two years already, so they don't have much to offer for a deadline move if they are looking to make one. They've now acquired an asset that's way more valuable than the one that they gave up to get O'Reilly.

So looking at the two trades Edmonton when combined, they've both sped up the timeline to arrival for some of their assets while also increasing their overall value for the price of giving up 2 years of Ryan McLeod. That's showing a GM with a strategic mind. Holland was decent at building teams, but lacked on some of the strategic planning end of things, so this is a great sign.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I’ve watched Savoie live in Moose Jaw twice against the Wheat Kings.. if those games were his best this guy will never make a splash in the NHL. Smaller than his stat page shows as well
He was not often in the right place. Looked good with the puck until he stick handled into traffic.
Roger McQueen made him look like a 6th round pick

Hopefully I’m just a bad scout

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
McLeod skating can be tantalizing and he was huge part of PK, but no doubt we sold high at a great time here
In the immediate future we are poorer because whatever his deficiencies, he was indeed an NHL player with great speed, and a very good PKer.

However, we were over cap and needed relief, and instead of a mediocre return we get a cost controlled, very recent top 10 draft pick with speed, work rate and great offence. An excellent hockey trade all things considered. Kid has a legitimate shot to make it this season, might just endure a cup of coffee in the A instead of the other way around.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if a Ceci move is still coming, they still have to cut some salary no? Could see them moving him and replacing him with one of the remaining RD on the market at a lower salary. Even Barrie would make sense, though I would like Boqvist.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
In the immediate future we are poorer because whatever his deficiencies, he was indeed an NHL player with great speed, and a very good PKer.

However, we were over cap and needed relief, and instead of a mediocre return we get a cost controlled, very recent top 10 draft pick with speed, work rate and great offence. An excellent hockey trade all things considered. Kid has a legitimate shot to make it this season, might just endure a cup of coffee in the A instead of the other way around.
Yep! Can't see this as anything as a massive massive win. Especially considering this kid is cost controlled for many seasons to come right before we have to pay McDrai and Bouch big raises.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Er… huh?
I had the same question. Without double checking I think that we now have 11 of the top 12 forwards with at least 500 games NHL experience. This is when you want to see how young guys and rookies can spark a team if there are injuries as you have so much experience surrounding them that you don't need to worry about them nearly as much.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad