Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This trade is shocking. This is a player that had almost played himself out of the lineup for soft play in the playoffs before showing a bit of an offensive pulse in the Finals at a contract price. We likely needed to move him no matter what, and somehow he turned him into a former top 10 pick coming off a WHL season averaging 2 points per game including playoffs (where his team won the league).

I was picturing McLeod fetching future draft picks at best. Now we have a massive asset to either contribute in the next two years or be a massive trade chip for a deadline acquisition.

This is a masterstroke of a trade that really only could go wrong if Savoie completely fails in the AHL next year.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Maybe as an AHL only contract.

My money is on league minimum deal, that's why he didn't get the qualifying offer as that would have been much bigger. That's just what teams do when players won't pan out straight a way.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'll say this...
I've noticed listening to radio out east... they always talked up Ryan McLeod like he was a core player on the team.

I was always like... Mcleod..??
huh-confused.gif

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
This isn't revisionism. I had the two weakest links on the Oilers being Foegele and McLeod. I wish them the best of luck but they were not good fits for the Edmonton Oilers.
My thoughts exactly, I thought both were pretty ass all playoffs. Got a couple of nice timely goals but overall you expect more out of those 2. Wish them well but what JJ has brought in return is night and day difference.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
This trade is shocking. This is a player that had almost played himself out of the lineup for soft play in the playoffs before showing a bit of an offensive pulse in the Finals at a contract price. We likely needed to move him no matter what, and somehow he turned him into a former top 10 pick coming off a WHL season averaging 2 points per game including playoffs (where his team won the league).

I was picturing McLeod fetching future draft picks at best. Now we have a massive asset to either contribute in the next two years or be a massive trade chip for a deadline acquisition.

This is a masterstroke of a trade that really only could go wrong if Savoie completely fails in the AHL next year.
I know it's a very short window but he had 5 pts. in 6 games with their AHL Rochester club. He's a high pedigree pick and I honestly think he might have a legitimate shot making the team.

Reactions: McDoused

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My money is on league minimum deal, that's why he didn't get the qualifying offer as that would have been much bigger. That's just what teams do when players won't pan out straight a way.

Possibly, but the Oilers have liked doing the AHL contracts in recent years for players that are at least 2 years away from having a chance at cracking the lineup. That's even what they did with Desharnais for a couple years. That said, Jackson may approach things differently than Holland did in those regards.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Sabres fan who comes in peace.
How are the guys we got back from you guys.
Savoie was a top A+ prospect for the Sabres . Unfortunately he was injured early last season and couldn't crack the roster.
Tullio is a captain in the making. Tore it up in the OHL as a 20 yaer old. Had a great rookie year in Bako. He will not be a top 4 player in the NHL but will be an NHLer.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McLeod is a speedy non physical forward who can play center but is more effective on the wing. He shows glimpses of offensive ability but I think his ceiling is probably 15/15/30. He’s pretty good defensively.

Tullio you’ll have to ask the AHL guys about.

This is a good description. I would also highlight how how fast he is, as he was easily the second fastest player on our team after the obvious #1. I would also like to highlight just how allergic to physical contact he is. Was likely our softest forward in this regard. He was very good defensively, and very rarely made bad plays in his own zone, when he did, it was because he was avoiding contact on the boards usually.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I rarely to never comment on players playing outside the NHL because I'm in over my head on those topics, but a recent top 10 pick on a seemingly fine trajectory sure sounds like a pretty darn good return for a passable 3C we aren't even really sure we could afford anyways.

Ryan McLeod is a better player than his hate parade thinks he is though and this one is a bit puzzling because it doesn't really free up enough cap to solve that problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad