Proposal: Edm-Ari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If oilers can go on a heater and have a record the way they did through the first 20 games they can afford him @50% and im sure holland would be willing to pay for him. If oilers want to go far in the playoffs theyll need him
I don't think they actually could afford him. We're pretty much capped out and I don't know what they would take to even that out. Unless we can move out Koskinen or someone like that in another deal of course.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Coyotes might be a team that Edmonton could pay to get rid of some cap, if they have another move lined up elsewhere and need a team to absorb cap to make it work and try to save the season.

Maybe Koskinen+ for Wedgewood? Assuming NJD wouldn't block it. Save $3.65M in cap.

Or Boyd for Turris+. Saves just under $1M in cap and upgrades the position.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
I think the Coyotes might be a team that Edmonton could pay to get rid of some cap, if they have another move lined up elsewhere and need a team to absorb cap to make it work and try to save the season.

Maybe Koskinen+ for Wedgewood? Assuming NJD wouldn't block it. Save $3.65M in cap.

Or Boyd for Turris+. Saves just under $1M in cap and upgrades the position.
Im guessing if oilers deal with zona they get crouse and (kessel@50%).

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
I don't think they actually could afford him. We're pretty much capped out and I don't know what they would take to even that out. Unless we can move out Koskinen or someone like that in another deal of course.
They can just involves philly eating half the salary and sending kosk or kassian the other way

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Holland turns down any of these alleged “deals” for a young, cost-controlled top pairing damn with huge upside - even if they include Broberg - he should be fired into the sun. Immediately.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
I'm guessing Holland doesn't do anything in time to fix the goaltending and the Oilers just miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round, bringing on wild speculation and some big changes.
If holland doesnt make a change to the team for the better i see katz clearing holland, nicholson, and tippett for sure and i pray to the hockey gods when i hope he includes schwartz as well

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oilers insiders said that holland offered zona 22 1st
Samorukov
Barrie
For
Chychrun

Zona countered with broberg instead of sam. If oilers include broberg do you think its a fair deal or do you think you need something added like crouse and turris or something like a pick?
That deal sucks for Arizona. Drop Barrie and replace with Koskinen. Drop Samorukov and add Holloway. Drop the 2022 1st to a 3rd and add Broberg.

koskinen + Holloway + Borberg + 3rd rounder for Chychurn.

Arizona doesn’t need to take on the term on Barrie’s bad contract.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol, if we (Edmonton) want Chych, that proposal is just an appetizer dude

Probably must include at least one of Broberg or Bouchard, a couple 1st rounders, and a high profile forward prospect. To me, that's too expensive, but that would be the asking price from Arizona, and it's a fair ask

Seems alot of Oiler fans are fantasying over the prospect of having Chychrun, who they expect will be the lone catalyst in turning the team around. Remember what place his team is, and has always been, it's the ultimate team game. He's a good young cornerstone defenseman, but giving up so many coveted futures for one player is not the answer. Just goes to show how we don't realize what we already have and take it for granted

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If Holland turns down any of these alleged “deals” for a young, cost-controlled top pairing damn with huge upside - even if they include Broberg - he should be fired into the sun. Immediately.

I believe that whoever trades for this top pairing dman with huge upside will regret the deal. I would be hesitant to trade for him, let alone to sell the farm for him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
A few obvious points:

1 - Barrie is 30 years old and signed for a few more years. Not exactly a fit in the scorched earth rebuild happening in the desert.
2 - Gostibehere is the current PP guy on the Coyotes. Younger, cheaper and outscoring Barrie despite not having McDavid and Draistl to pad his stats
3 - If Barrie is so valuable why is he in almost every Oiler proposal?

Barrie didn't have his stats padded by McDavid and Draisaitl except if your point is that they are the only two forwards we have and factor into 50% of our goals. Having zero offensive depth is not going to "pad" stats for anyone, especially a puck moving defenseman.

Note that Barrie was 8th in EV scoring among D last year. For the 73rd ranked cap hit. That IS good value.

I think your points on fit in AZ are entirely fair.

Barrie is not in every proposal, but the reason why he is frequently in proposals is that 1) we have about $500K in cap space, and 2) With the emergence of Bouchard, offense from our back end is one relative strength that we could trade from to improve elsewhere.

In this case Chychrun is coming back at a similar cap hit and plays the same position, so it makes sense that we move Barrie, but that doesn't have to happen in the same deal.

I'd do McLeod, Samorukov and a 1st, or Broberg, Benson and a 1st. Can't do Holloway or Bourgault because we'll need to some near-term cheap talent to keep our team within the cap, so add picks or other prospects if you must.

I note... I think that Edmonton management is very high on Broberg, probably see him still having true #1 upside. I'm more of the mindset that he'll be Bouwmeester type, so elite #2 all-rounder. But we need solid contributions today, so I'm willing to trade that upside.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
A few obvious points:

1 - Barrie is 30 years old and signed for a few more years. Not exactly a fit in the scorched earth rebuild happening in the desert.
2 - Gostibehere is the current PP guy on the Coyotes. Younger, cheaper and outscoring Barrie despite not having McDavid and Draistl to pad his stats
3 - If Barrie is so valuable why is he in almost every Oiler proposal?

Barrie is included solely due to the Oilers having zero cap space, so any deal is money in for money out at worst. Barrie made sense for Oilers at a surface level as we're adding a dman, so trading one makes sense.

Not the case for the Yotes, as previously mentioned, Ghost is your Barrie. So it would have to be a caphit similar to Chychrun for it to work on the Oilers side.

That's kinda my point, Barrie would not be involved in a trade for Chychrun at least as a positive asset. Maybe dump Kassian or something but they wont be taking Barrie as a core trade piece.

Probably better from a roster construction perspective on the Yotes vs Barrie, however the extra term probably means Oilers are paying up an extra asset as well.

Ledge And Dairy

Barrie is included solely due to the Oilers having zero cap space, so any deal is money in for money out at worst. Barrie made sense for Oilers at a surface level as we're adding a dman, so trading one makes sense.

Not the case for the Yotes, as previously mentioned, Ghost is your Barrie. So it would have to be a caphit similar to Chychrun for it to work on the Oilers side.

Probably better from a roster construction perspective on the Yotes vs Barrie, however the extra term probably means Oilers are paying up an extra asset as well.
Then replace Barrie with Kassian

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That deal sucks for Arizona. Drop Barrie and replace with Koskinen. Drop Samorukov and add Holloway. Drop the 2022 1st to a 3rd and add Broberg.

koskinen + Holloway + Borberg + 3rd rounder for Chychurn.

Arizona doesn’t need to take on the term on Barrie’s bad contract.

Since Holloway is knocking on the NHL door it is unlikely Holland is going to deal him. Prospects farther away in development, like Bourgault or future picks, are more likely targets. Broberg is Hollands first ever pick and from what I can gather the organization loves him. I think Holland and company project him to be a top pairing LHD. Where does that leave Nurse? Great question.

So I get why Arizona would ask for him in a Chychrun trade. I know would.

Samorukov was included in the previous rumored offer because Arizona had previously expressed interest in him (again, according to rumors).

Arizona has exactly six, count 'em, SIX players signed next year. Don't say they don't need NHL players. Adding Barrie isn't a hardship for them and penciling in a RHD who led all defensemen in points last year, defensive warts and all, isn't the cap dump so many armchair GMs make it out to be. Arizona 100% could use Barrie.

Arizona have five pending RFAs to sign so at least they can qualify them in a worst case scenario. That leaves twelve (TWELVE!) regular line up players who are UFAs next year. That is a huge list of positions to fill.

1st + Broberg +Barrie (the rumored counter offer from Bill Armstrong) is a good deal for Chychrun and perhaps the most realistic I've seen on here. The problem is Holland doesn't seem to want to deal Broberg. Chychrun helps them right now so I see that as a mistake.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Since Holloway is knocking on the NHL door it is unlikely Holland is going to deal him. Prospects farther away in development, like Bourgault or future picks, are more likely targets. Broberg is Hollands first ever pick and from what I can gather the organization loves him. I think Holland and company project him to be a top pairing LHD. Where does that leave Nurse? Great question.

So I get why Arizona would ask for him in a Chychrun trade. I know would.

Samorukov was included in the previous rumored offer because Arizona had previously expressed interest in him (again, according to rumors).

Arizona has exactly six, count 'em, SIX players signed next year. Don't say they don't need NHL players. Adding Barrie isn't a hardship for them and penciling in a RHD who led all defensemen in points last year, defensive warts and all, isn't the cap dump so many armchair GMs make it out to be. Arizona 100% could use Barrie.

Arizona have five pending RFAs to sign so at least they can qualify them in a worst case scenario. That leaves twelve (TWELVE!) regular line up players who are UFAs next year. That is a huge list of positions to fill.

1st + Broberg +Barrie (the rumored counter offer from Bill Armstrong) is a good deal for Chychrun and perhaps the most realistic I've seen on here. The problem is Holland doesn't seem to want to deal Broberg. Chychrun helps them right now so I see that as a mistake.
I’d change that to Brouchard if I’m Arizona. Need to have one sure fire NHL player in this. Broberg a number 1. Wow. Not yet and not even close. He needs to graduate from the AHL first.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’d change that to Brouchard if I’m Arizona. Need to have one sure fire NHL player in this. Broberg a number 1. Wow. Not yet and not even close. He needs to graduate from the AHL first.

Bouchard is a no go from the Oilers. Literally their best RHD and whom they drafted and developed. Not a chance.

I didn't say Broberg is a #1 right now.. c'mon man. I said they project him to be a top pairing guy. There is no denying how high this organization is on this prospect. Maybe these NHL scouts and GM know a bit more about it than you or I? Hmmm?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Never mind that the Oilers would be competing against several other rumored teams with good prospect pools.
Who is likely to blink here - Armstrong, who is rumored to be "listening to offers" but no shopping Chychrun, or Holland, whose job is on the line if the Oilers miss the playoffs?

Knight, Lundell and a 1st was reported as the cost comp for Florida. Can Oilers beat that?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If oilers can go on a heater and have a record the way they did through the first 20 games they can afford him @50% and im sure holland would be willing to pay for him. If oilers want to go far in the playoffs theyll need him

My dude, we're 18-17 from a win/loss perspective, haven't won a game with our head coach coaching in six weeks, and are six points out of a playoff spot after leading our division six weeks ago.

Trading for stopgaps with "what if they go on a heater" as the logic just isn't good. Where we're at sucks, but dumping a bunch of assets for hopes and dreams is worse.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Bouchard is a no go from the Oilers. Literally their best RHD and whom they drafted and developed. Not a chance.

I didn't say Broberg is a #1 right now.. c'mon man. I said they project him to be a top pairing guy. There is no denying how high this organization is on this prospect. Maybe these NHL scouts and GM know a bit more about it than you or I? Hmmm?
I really doubt Arizona trades their best player for a non lottery pick and decent AHL player that may become a middle pair defender someday. Broberg isn’t some elite prospect. He’s a pretty good one. Keep adding a lot to get a legit top pair that’s 23 and cost controled. At least you’re adding Holloway and the 2022 1st top 10 protected.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I really doubt Arizona trades their best player for a non lottery pick and decent AHL player that may become a middle pair defender someday. Broberg isn’t some elite prospect. He’s a pretty good one. Keep adding a lot to get a legit top pair that’s 23 and cost controled. At least you’re adding Holloway and the 2022 1st top 10 protected.

I think we differ on Broberg, let's leave it at that.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Value going to Arizona still has to be there. 1st + Broberg + Yamamoto as the base then Kassian and whatever it costs to dump him

I think this would be fair from an Edmonton perspective

What has Broberg done to make you think he is some "decent AHL player" and not a top prospect like most seem to see him as?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think this would be fair from an Edmonton perspective

What has Broberg done to make you think he is some "decent AHL player" and not a top prospect like most seem to see him as?
Broberg a top prospect? No. He’s a pretty good one. Most teams have better ones than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad