Ed Litzenberger

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Been fascinated with Ed Litzenberger for some time, and his story is an interesting one. He was a big star with the Regina Pats, scoring 111 goals and picking up 194 points in 121 regular season games across three seasons. The Pats went to – but lost in – the Memorial Cup twice with Litzenberger.

Ed was the property of the Montreal Canadiens, playing two games with them in 1952-53, and three games in1953-54. Most of his time was spent with their farm team, the Montreal Royals. In 1954-55, he became a full-time NHLer. He played 29 games with the Habs, then was traded to the Chicago Black Hawks. With them, he had 16 goals and 24 assists in 44 games. In 73 games – in 1954-55 – he had 23 goals, 28 assists and 51 points. That production earned him the Calder Trophy. For whatever reason, he had only 10 goals and 29 assists in 70 games in 1955-56.

For next three seasons, Litzenberger provided an indication of the kind of career he might have enjoyed had fate been kinder to him. In 1956-57, he led the last place Hawks in goals (32), assists (32) and points (64). Johnny Wilson was second on the team in points with 48. At a time when a 20-goal season was considered an accomplishment, hitting the 30-goal mark was a big deal. Only Gordie Howe (44), Jean Beliveau (33) and Maurice Richard (33) had more goals. In 1957-58, Ed again scored 32 goals, and had 30 assists, for 62 points. Hawks' rookie Bobby Hull was second with 47 points. Litzenberger was tied with Camille Henry in goals scored, behind only Dickie Moore (36) and Gordie Howe (33). Litzenberger had the best season in his career in 1958-59. He had 33 goals, 44 assists and 77 points in 70 games. Tod Sloan - in his first season in Chicago - was second on the team with 62 points. Ed was tied with Andy Hebenton in goals scored, behind Beliveau (45), Moore (41) and Andy Bathgate (40).

Ed was just 27 when the 1959-60 season began, and had every reason to believe that he had quite a few more productive seasons ahead of him. Better yet, his Hawks were improving. With Rudy Pilous behind the bench, and Litzenberger wearing the C, Chicago finished in 3rd place in 1958-59. With the veteran leadership of Ted Lindsay and Tod Sloan, star-to-be Bobby Hull, and goaltender Glenn Hall, the Hawks were a promising team.

By the time the Hawks played their 45th game of the 1959-60 season on January 17 – defeating the visiting Rangers 3-1 – Litzenberger's offensive production (9 goals and 17assists) was way off. His struggles reflected – and contributed to– Chicago's struggles. After 45 games they had 15 wins, 22 losses and 8 ties.

The next day – January 18 – Ed was involved in a car accident which killed his wife (who had been driving) and didn't do him any good. Today, his injuries – cracked ribs, contusions of his liver and a concussion – would cost him the rest of the season. In 1959-60, those injuries cost him 16 games. He was back for the Hawks' last nine regular season games, contributing three goals and one assist. Chicago had 13 wins, 7 losses and 5 ties during their final 25 games – earning themselves 3rd place for a second time. Montreal swept them in the first round.

Beginning in 1960-61, Litzenberger enjoyed team success while never again putting up personal numbers like he had before 1959-60. In the Spring of 1961 his Hawks hoisted the Stanley Cup. His reward after that season was a trade to Detroit. During the 1961-62 season – after 32 regular season games – the Wings waived him, and Punch Imlach brought him to Toronto. As a Leaf, Ed would hoist the Cup in 1961-62, 1962-63 and 1963-64. In Rochester – in the AHL – he would hoist the Calder Cup with the Americans in 1964-65 and 1965-66. Running out of fingers for championship rings, Litzenberger then retired.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

Litz was my favorite player back in the day. I have attached a link to an ATD bio that I did for him several years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Davenport

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto

Litz was my favorite player back in the day. I have attached a link to an ATD bio that I did for him several years ago
Pappyline, as a fan of Ed Litzenberger, I think you'll get a kick out of this photo from the Summer of 1957 - following the 1956-57 season. This photo was taken at a sports banquet in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. In the front row - left to right - we see Ken Milton, a sportscaster with CKCK in Regina; Stan Obodiak, publicity director with Maple Leaf Gardens; Metro Prystai - hometown boy - who had 10 years in the NHL (and two Stanley Cup championships) under his belt at this time; and Ken
1618581-history-corner-oct20.jpg
Mayhew, editor of the Yorkton Enterprise. In the back - left to right - we see Ed Litzenberger, who had just had his first 30-goal season; and Linus Westberg, broadcaster with CJGX/CKOS-TV in Yorkton.

Reactions: pappyline

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Thanks for that photo. I never saw it before. In 56/57 Ediie made the second allstar team at center. Only AS team he made. He had the misfortune to play most of his prime at RW during the golden age of RW's-Howe, Richard, Geoffrion, Bathgate were his competition.

He had some other bad luck as well. There was the tragic auto accident that killed his wife and seriously injured him. Then in the 1961 Stanley cup year he came down with a severe case of influenza which resulted in him being hospitalized and missing the first 2 games of the final. What is also forgotten is his key game winning goal in game 2 of the semi final against Montreal which prevented Montreal from going up 2-0 in games.

It should also be noted that when he joined Detroit in 61-62 he was inserted at center between Howe & Delvecchio and was outscoring both of them until screwy Jack Adams, for some unknown reason, decided to bench Litz and put him on waivers.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
It should also be noted that when he joined Detroit in 61-62 he was inserted at center between Howe & Delvecchio and was outscoring both of them until screwy Jack Adams, for some unknown reason, decided to bench Litz and put him on waivers.
Jack Adams deserves kudos for creating a dynasty, and a kick you-know-where for destroying it. After hoisting the Cup in 1954-55 - for the 4th time in six seasons - he traded away 8 players from that Stanley Cup winning roster. After the 1960-61 season, Adams traded two players for Litzenberger. Half way through the 1961-62 season, he put Ed on waivers.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Jack Adams deserves kudos for creating a dynasty, and a kick you-know-where for destroying it. After hoisting the Cup in 1954-55 - for the 4th time in six seasons - he traded away 8 players from that Stanley Cup winning roster. After the 1960-61 season, Adams traded two players for Litzenberger. Half way through the 1961-62 season, he put Ed on waivers.
Here is what Eddie had to say about his time in Detroit:“They put me at centre between Delvecchio and Howe. I had six goals after the first five games, Gordie had three and Alex had one” The honeymoon was short-lived and Litzenberger found himself on Jack Adams spit list. “I had broken a stick and went to get another. I came back & jack Adams said something to me. I can’t recall exactly what he said. I...very politely said I try to do the most intelligient thing I can the earliest possible moment I can do it...The next game I was benched”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad