GDT: ECSF Game 1|One More Time|Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators|Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What did he say this time?

They showed Alfredsson in the pregame. He had his hair up (so it was out of his hair). Cherry started making fun of it, saying 'wait, I thought this was the Stanley Cup playoffs?"

Then Ron MacLean said, "he's just trying to keep the hair out of his eyes, Kris Letang as that hair, too"

"Yea, but Letang don't skate like that"

Then they showed Alfredsson, Karlsson and I guess Silfverbergsson at the bench, and he said, "yea, you know, Swedes love those things, <in a real feminine voice> "do you want the red one? no how about that one?"

"Actually, you know, the polkadot one is really popular over there"

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Missing from all this - how about Pascal Dupuis? What a snipe! We've got to resign him.. but damn i think hes going to get big money elsewhere.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Right now, the Ottawa Senators have three really big problems:

1. Their PP is horrible. And, their vaunted PK tried both the aggressive and passive approaches to the Pens PP and looked equally impotent against both.

2. The Sens are not a slow team, but they are not fast enough to expose the Pens the way the Isles did. That extra half second is enough . . . unless it's Murray and Engo trying the stretch pass into the 1-3-1. :laugh:

3. Geno is going to skewer them this series unless Bylsma keeps ******* around playing him five minutes a period and putting him back with Neal and Iginla. Really, in terms of the matchup, this is like Carolina in 2009: They just don't have a guy to matchup against him. Too bad it's Granato instead of Fitzie running the forwards, because Fitzie would really expoit this.

This is what I was worried about coming into this series. I want Malkin's line to work - and it was - but you CANNOT allow Sid's line to do nothing for entire periods. This is why Bennett has to dress. He's the only player who can play in the top-6 and not kill the team.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
They showed Alfredsson in the pregame. He had his hair up (so it was out of his hair). Cherry started making fun of it, saying 'wait, I thought this was the Stanley Cup playoffs?"

Then Ron MacLean said, "he's just trying to keep the hair out of his eyes, Kris Letang as that hair, too"

"Yea, but Letang don't skate like that"

Then they showed Alfredsson, Karlsson and I guess Silfverbergsson at the bench, and he said, "yea, you know, Swedes love those things, <in a real feminine voice> "do you want the red one? no how about that one?"

"Actually, you know, the polkadot one is really popular over there"

Maybe he was talking about the suits he wears.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This is what I was worried about coming into this series. I want Malkin's line to work - and it was - but you CANNOT allow Sid's line to do nothing for entire periods. This is why Bennett has to dress. He's the only player who can play in the top-6 and not kill the team.

But really.. is ONE mediocre period enough to change lines that worked for seven?

Hopefully Dan was just messing around at the end of the game and they're back to DCI KMN the next time they practice.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Do you guys feel that Fleury is back in if Vokoun loses one of this run is Vokoun's barring something bad?

I don't think Fleury gets back in just for a loss. Vokoun's earned more than a "play till you lose" deal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know that Sid's line wasn't working. In fact, I think it was. It just didn't score. Don't confuse that with not working like Bylsma and Granato did, because it's got impending disaster written all over it.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009

....huh?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
But really.. is ONE mediocre period enough to change lines that worked for seven?

Hopefully Dan was just messing around at the end of the game and they're back to DCI KMN the next time they practice.

It was too quick, no doubt. I don't know, right? I'm just giving my opinion, they have to find a way to get both lines rocking. I'm not willing to just waste Sid as a decoy. I'm not willing to waste Geno as a decoy. Maybe this was just a, "Geno is going to work with anyone tonight, and Sid isn't working with Iggy, so let's see if we can get them both going."

It sort of worked, too.

I think Sid needs to get his shield off.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm really afraid that he wasn't. I say really afraid because it's clear (a) that Geno picked up right where he left off the last 15 minutes of the Isles series and (b) the Senators don't have anyone to matchup against him. I have no idea why you don't exploit that. None.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't know that Sid's line wasn't working. In fact, I think it was. It just didn't score. Don't confuse that with not working like Bylsma and Granato did, because it's got impending disaster written all over it.

I was going to type this very thing after the first, 'Crosby was the best player on the ice but nothing went in for him." But the line was bad (and he was bad) in the 2nd. So maybe this was just temporary.

Sorry, Bennett is the only player in the bottom-6 who can competently move up into the top-6 and not kill the team. Like, you can have him there on the 4th line and if the top-2 lines aren't working, you can move him up and not have Craig Adams on the 2nd line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It was too quick, no doubt. I don't know, right? I'm just giving my opinion, they have to find a way to get both lines rocking. I'm not willing to just waste Sid as a decoy. I'm not willing to waste Geno as a decoy. Maybe this was just a, "Geno is going to work with anyone tonight, and Sid isn't working with Iggy, so let's see if we can get them both going."

It sort of worked, too.

You hope it was, but this is Bylsma we're talking about. Relatively speaking, he's potentially a bigger threat to the Pens not making the conference finals than anyone.

EDIT: Funny thing is, Sid had one great shift, one meh shift, and one shift in his own zone with Kunitz and Dupuis. BUT, Neal at LW was a one way ticket to the penalty box.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

It sort of worked, too.

Sid looked WAY better in the first than he did in the third, so I don't really think it worked.

However, when he started throwing out Adams with Malkin and Neal and Kennedy with Sid and Kunitz, it led me to believe he was really just ****ing around.

I think Sid's been fine, but I'm sure he'd love to get that thing off his face.

Edit:
I was going to type this very thing after the first, 'Crosby was the best player on the ice but nothing went in for him." But the line was bad (and he was bad) in the 2nd. So maybe this was just temporary.

I hope you're right here.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sid looked WAY better in the first than he did in the third, so I don't really think it worked.

However, when he started throwing out Adams with Malkin and Neal and Kennedy with Sid and Kunitz, it led me to believe he was really just ****ing around.

I think Sid's been fine, but I'm sure he'd love to get that thing off his face.

Sid - Kunitz - Dupuis (**** order) had the best 5-on-5 shift of any line tonight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, I'm just an armchair ******* obvi but I felt so much more comfortable with him in there tonight, have to think the players feel similarly.

Even when he had those moments where you were holding your breath, you just didn't feel the same sense of impending doom.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Missing from all this - how about Pascal Dupuis? What a snipe! We've got to resign him.. but damn i think hes going to get big money elsewhere.

I agree he is a beast, I would put him 4-5 best sniper on team and he does not even get pp1 or pp2 minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad