GDT: ECF: Game 2 - New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers, 8pm ET, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is where coaching becomes critical. Do you change the status quo and do you think out of the box and shake things up before it’s too late.

Even if we go down 0-2 it’s not the end of the series but it will be hard to recover, but hardly impossible. I’d rather Lavi try something different in Game 2 before it’s too late, if that makes sense.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Foot speed...

Kakko doesn't have the foot speed to close the distance on point men/half boards fast enough from a standing start (as he would have to do as forward on the PK).
His foot speed isn't really an issue on the actual defense side of a PK. The issue is that in modern NHL you want to have fast, skilled players (at minimum fast) on the PK for the opportunity of a breakaway. That's why Kreider and Zibanejad are on there. And that's why Kakko is not. He's not a scoring threat on the PK, while he would probably be pretty good at actually defending and breaking up plays.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
agreed, i've been wanting to see him get a shot at it for years

he's also decent at causing turnovers at the point, i bet he would get a ton of shorthanded scoring chances too
@Profet @Do you want ants His closing speed is definitely a concern but it would be confusing if that’s the coaching staffs reasoning given that they’re using Wennberg there who has awful PK metrics and is also extremely slow

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
If there's one guy in this lineup that isn't providing what he's supposed to, it's Gus. Everyone knows that he's useless defending in his own end. He's in the lineup to give us some offense, to create some opportunities. What exactly has this guy done in that area? We use him as the PP 2 QB. That unit is a cluster. Put Jones in for Gus. You might ask what Lindgren and Trouba have done offensively. The answer is not much. But neither of those guys are in the lineup because we are expecting points out of them. They kill penalties, etc, etc. Gus has one job and he's not doing it. In this regard, it's why Kakko is sitting instead of Vesey or Wennberg. Those guys contribute in other ways, even though I feel the same frustration as everybody else with Wennberg.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
There's gotta be something coaches are seeing that we're not seeing about Kakko, even though publicly they give a canned answer about great metrics but would like concrete production.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If there's one guy in this lineup that isn't providing what he's supposed to, it's Gus. Everyone knows that he's useless defending in his own end. He's in the lineup to give us some offense, to create some opportunities. What exactly has this guy done in that area? We use him as the PP 2 QB. That unit is a cluster. Put Jones in for Gus. You might ask what Lindgren and Trouba have done offensively. The answer is not much. But neither of those guys are in the lineup because we are expecting points out of them. They kill penalties, etc, etc. Gus has one job and he's not doing it. In this regard, it's why Kakko is sitting instead of Vesey or Wennberg. Those guys contribute in other ways, even though I feel the same frustration as everybody else with Wennberg.
Gus is an issue, however I don't think adding Jones is the solution, he's just too slight for their forwards. Gus needs to be better

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah i just don’t understand how he’s never been given that role. Not even a trial on the PK
I’ve thought about this quite a bit as well, but as @Profet mentioned I think it’s because of his skating. More ice to cover on the PK and while Kakko does well with sharp pivots on the cycle and can show a decent little burst, I doubt they trust him to get across and cut down a lane or pressure someone who has a step on him. His speed continues to be a liability going into D+5 and it’s largely on him to address it.

Reactions: Profet

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Gus is an issue, however I don't think adding Jones is the solution, he's just too slight for their forwards. Gus needs to be better
Maybe. It's definitely a drastic move but Gus is freaking useless if he's not providing any offense. Personally, I think Jones will be better in our end defending than Gus is.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’ve thought about this quite a bit as well, but as @Profet mentioned I think it’s because of his skating. More ice to cover on the PK and while Kakko does well with sharp pivots on the cycle and can show a decent little burst, I doubt they trust him to get across and cut down a lane or pressure someone who has a step on him. His speed continues to be a liability going into D+5 and it’s largely on him to address it.
Yes, the reason for Kakko not being on the PK is his skating. No, it's not that they think he's too slow to defend on the PK. It's that he's too slow to attack (and just sucks at scoring in general).

PK is not just about preventing goals. Especially not with this team.
Capture.JPG

Reactions: LokiDog

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I thought Kakko did get some PK time last year for a while and did pretty well. Or am i dreaming that?

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
Yea all of the beat reporters gush about the person he is off the ice too, Larry Brooks said: “I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’m not sure I have ever encountered a player who is as authentic, comfortable in his skin and as happy to be here as Rempe.”

One funny thing that was en example of this was his hilarious reaction to his goal being overturned that one time, most players especially a rookie in his first 10 games in the league would try to play it cool and act unfazed, but he had the funniest expressive reaction to it snapping his head back and looking like he just got kicked in the balls. I think intangibles are under-appreciated in today’s era of analytics and Rempe brings a lot of stuff that you usually see from veterans. Hank wouldn’t have been Hank without his fierce persona & the style, Ovi wouldn’t be Ovi without his over the top personality, list goes on. And I think even aside from the physical presence, that confidence, swagger, fun he brings rubs off on the team.

high IQ analysis. very different from what you normally post ;)

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
There's gotta be something coaches are seeing that we're not seeing about Kakko, even though publicly they give a canned answer about great metrics but would like concrete production.
They want the guy to score once in a blue moon. Doesn't have to be pretty. Outside of Chris, we don't get dirty goals.

Reactions: will1066

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Didn't he kill PKs under Gallant. I always thought he was pretty good then but I may be misremembering

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
This is where coaching becomes critical. Do you change the status quo and do you think out of the box and shake things up before it’s too late.

Even if we go down 0-2 it’s not the end of the series but it will be hard to recover, but hardly impossible. I’d rather Lavi try something different in Game 2 before it’s too late, if that makes sense.
Makes a lot of sense....2 big moves 1rw and Rempire nation...we need scoring and emotion these lineup changes accomplish that

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Came in here to say I have nothing to say.

Line juggling isn't gonna do much IMO

Our best players weren't our best in Game 1

Nothing can overcome that if it continues.
I agree with you. It's not the line combinations, it's the breakouts from the defensive zone that need to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad