Proposal: Eberle to Pitt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
#4 was hilarious. Eberle is worth the expectations of a player with 2 NHL points under his belt in 18 games.

Never change HF.

I didn't mean Eberle's trade value is equal to Sprong's (though with his cap hit its not nearly as far apart as you seem to believe)

I meant Sprong projects to be within the next three or four years what Eberle is now. A 25+ goal/30+ assist top 6 RW.

It would be dumb to downgrade from Maatta to Nurse for a more expensive version of Sprong a few years early.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ekholm is 26, his peak is a 2nd pairing defensemen. No wonder why Oiler fans think the way they do

That big, mobile, hard shooting, positionally sound, pmd finished 37th overall in defenceman scoring.

He's a 2/3 defenceman. He'd be a top pairing #2 now on many clubs, just not in Nashville. I also don't believe he's peaked since he's only just turned 26, and is only entering his 4th NHL season. He certainly has room for further development into a clear cut #2.

Maataa has top pairing potential, but injuries have slowed his development.

Last edited:

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
Dude.

1) You say Rust isn't a top 6 forward but then etch Sheary into the top line

2) You put Malkin - Hornqvist as a line when everyone and their mother knows that those two are oil and water together

3) Maatta>>>Nurse & Maatta's ceiling>>Nurse's ceiling

4) Eberle=Sprong's reasonable expectations for production

5) Eberle's worth in cap hit<<<<<<<Sprong's worth in cap hit

6) Maatta's contract is awesome and isn't something you just throw away

knock it off

Eberle=Sprong? In what universe?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Maatta
Sprong

For

Eberle
Nurse

EDM gets an upgrade on D and a great RW prospect to grow with their core.
Pitt gets immediate scoring to play with Sid or Geno and a replacement for Maatta.

Dumoulin-Letang
Nurse-Daley

Klefbom/Maatta-Larsson
Maatta/Klefbom-Sekera

No deal from the Pens. Maatta had a rough go but an off season of healing and training will quickly erase the season he just had, even though he came back and played well in the finals. Kid is a stud and a huge piece of the Pens D core that they can not afford to lose.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
That big, mobile, hard shooting, positionally sound, pmd finished 37th overall in defenceman scoring.

He's a 2/3 defenceman. He'd be a top pairing #2 now on many clubs, just not in Nashville. I also don't believe he's peaked since he's only just turned 26, and is only entering his 4th NHL season. He certainly has room for further development into a clear cut #2.

Maataa has top pairing potential, but injuries have slowed his development.

Injuries have hindered it, but it hasn't slown it down, Olli Maatta is 21yrs old. Let that sink in a little. Most defensemen don't even start showing the kind of improvements he's shown until they're 24-25.

Most players that go through what he has in the last 2yrs would probably just disappear into obscurity. He's already survived a cancerous tumor, mumps and a shoulder surgery within a month, then this past season few more. But nothing he isn't able to recover from and he kind of did in the finals when he was getting more games and had a rest with a game off.

Olli Maatta is just 21yrs old.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Dude.

1) You say Rust isn't a top 6 forward but then etch Sheary into the top line

2) You put Malkin - Hornqvist as a line when everyone and their mother knows that those two are oil and water together

3) Maatta>>>Nurse & Maatta's ceiling>>Nurse's ceiling

4) Eberle=Sprong's reasonable expectations for production

5) Eberle's worth in cap hit<<<<<<<Sprong's worth in cap hit

6) Maatta's contract is awesome and isn't something you just throw away

knock it off

Sheary is better than Rust by a substantial margin. And #4-6 are just terrible statements. #2? Malkin has proven over the years if you put a monkey on skates he can make plays with him, he would be fine with hornqvist. And if it didn't work out then shuffle the lines, that has no impact on the proposed trade...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ekholm is 26, his peak is a 2nd pairing defensemen. No wonder why Oiler fans think the way they do

Määttä has had major injury and consistency issues. I would take the #3 defenseman with #2 upside over the sometimes middle pair, sometimes awful, who knows if he puts it together question mark.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pass from a Pens perspective. Maybe Nurse becomes a stud, but our D next year would be worse and Eberle is a RW'er where we are already set with Hornqvist and Kessel. I mean this looks cool:

Crosby-Hornqvist
Malkin-Eberle
Bones-Kessel

But not so much this:

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Daley
Pouliot-Nurse

Plus Sprong could slide into a top 6 RW position as soon as 17-18 season. No need to take this risk if you are Pittsburgh.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Määttä has had major injury and consistency issues. I would take the #3 defenseman with #2 upside over the sometimes middle pair, sometimes awful, who knows if he puts it together question mark.

You mean the sometimes great, sometimes awful but has the hockey IQ and poise to become a top pairing 2 way guy. I would agree that Ekholm > Maatta today, but people really need to put Maatta's career in perspective. Maatta is 21, has played 3 seasons (one of which he had cancer and 2 shoulder surgeries) and has put up 57 points in 165 games (good for 28 points per 82). Maatta has also played top 3 minutes on a bronze medal winning team as a 19 year old.

The kid has lots of potential and has played a lot of good hockey at a young age for defensemen.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You mean the sometimes great, sometimes awful but has the hockey IQ and poise to become a top pairing 2 way guy. I would agree that Ekholm > Maatta today, but people really need to put Maatta's career in perspective. Maatta is 21, has played 3 seasons (one of which he had cancer and 2 shoulder surgeries) and has put up 57 points in 165 games (good for 28 points per 82). Maatta has also played top 3 minutes on a bronze medal winning team as a 19 year old.

The kid has lots of potential and has played a lot of good hockey at a young age for defensemen.

I understand that. #3 defenseman > potential.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Sheary is better than Rust by a substantial margin. And #4-6 are just terrible statements. #2? Malkin has proven over the years if you put a monkey on skates he can make plays with him, he would be fine with hornqvist. And if it didn't work out then shuffle the lines, that has no impact on the proposed trade...

You obviously don't watch any Penguins games. You clearly don't have any interest in the Pens other than shuffling our roster for some inexplicable reason.

Malkin and Hornqvist was a pairing even HC MJ didn't mess around with more than 1 game. They're just constantly on different pages. Two players with two very different ways of playing the game.

"And if it didn't work out then shuffle the lines, that has no impact on the proposed trade"

This statement epitomizes why every trade you propose is so asinine. You just play with rough value without thinking about how the Penguins get better as a result of the trade. If the trade messes with the Pens lineup and chemistry then you don't do the trade.

If you go on the Pens' board, I'm much higher on Sheary than most, and even I admit that Sheary is not a legit 1st line winger. He doesn't have the finishing ability. Combine that with how inconsistent he is, he is a less than ideal winger for anywhere than a high scoring bottom 6.

Rust was an absolute beast down the stretch and in the playoffs. Combine that with his ability to play both wings, and he has more than earned his spot on Malkin's wing. The question is whether Sprong will be ready to be Malkin's side kick so Rust can be the third wheel.

I already explained 4

"I didn't mean Eberle's trade value is equal to Sprong's (though with his cap hit its not nearly as far apart as you seem to believe)
I meant Sprong projects to be within the next three or four years what Eberle is now. A 25+ goal/30+ assist top 6 RW.
It would be dumb to downgrade from Maatta to Nurse for a more expensive version of Sprong a few years early."

I guarantee you that every true Pens fan will more or less agree with that statement.

Everyone knows Eberle is ~1.5m overpaid. Sprong is on an ELC with a like 600k cap hit. Nuff said.

If you're calling #6 a terrible statement then that says enough about your understanding of the Penguins and the cap.

go ahead. keep embarrassing yourself

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
You obviously don't watch any Penguins games. You clearly don't have any interest in the Pens other than shuffling our roster for some inexplicable reason.

Malkin and Hornqvist was a pairing even HC MJ didn't mess around with more than 1 game. They're just constantly on different pages. Two players with two very different ways of playing the game.

"And if it didn't work out then shuffle the lines, that has no impact on the proposed trade"

This statement epitomizes why every trade you propose is so asinine. You just play with rough value without thinking about how the Penguins get better as a result of the trade. If the trade messes with the Pens lineup and chemistry then you don't do the trade.

If you go on the Pens' board, I'm much higher on Sheary than most, and even I admit that Sheary is not a legit 1st line winger. He doesn't have the finishing ability. Combine that with how inconsistent he is, he is a less than ideal winger for anywhere than a high scoring bottom 6.

Rust was an absolute beast down the stretch and in the playoffs. Combine that with his ability to play both wings, and he has more than earned his spot on Malkin's wing. The question is whether Sprong will be ready to be Malkin's side kick so Rust can be the third wheel.

I already explained 4

"I didn't mean Eberle's trade value is equal to Sprong's (though with his cap hit its not nearly as far apart as you seem to believe)
It would be dumb to downgrade from Maatta to Nurse for a more expensive version of Sprong a few years early."

I guarantee you that every true Pens fan will more or less agree with that statement.

Everyone knows Eberle is ~1.5m overpaid. Sprong is on an ELC with a like 600k cap hit. Nuff said.

If you're calling #6 a terrible statement then that says enough about your understanding of the Penguins and the cap.

go ahead. keep embarrassing yourself

You are the only one here being hostel, and the fact you were that upset over a website to write that huge post is embarrassing lol I said shuffle the lines? What is wrong with that? Kessel played with Sid and geno before landing on line 3, that's called line shuffling every good team does it. Whether eberle plays with Sid or geno what's the difference? He still improves our team way more than sprong will for at least a few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad