Speculation: Early Predictions: Who Surprises in Training Camp/Preseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This is a pre training camp/pre-season thread where we can speculate and make predictions on who we think might surprise in terms of their performance, and for bubble players, whether or not they make the team.

I will start with Tyler Boucher. It isn't based on any information about his offseason or anything. I think he fits the identity that Staios is trying to build and Green is trying to coach. I think if he had a big offseason that he could be physically ready to take on a role in the NHL I think he has some underrated skill and shown chemistry of playing with quality players such as in preseason 2 years ago when he played on a line with Tkachuk and Norris and performed well.

It would certainly be great if Boucher can surprise in camp and push for and potentially earn a roster spot. I guess we will know whether that seems like a possibility based on the rookie tournament.

What bubble players do you think might surprise in training camp/preseason? Or, what roster players do you think will have taken a big leap in development this offseason and will surprise with their performance in training camp/preseason?

Reactions: Bileur

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is a pre training camp/pre-season thread where we can speculate and make predictions on who we think might surprise in terms of their performance, and for bubble players, whether or not they make the team.

I will start with Tyler Boucher. It isn't based on any information about his offseason or anything. I think he fits the identity that Staios is trying to build and Green is trying to coach. I think if he had a big offseason that he could be physically ready to take on a role in the NHL I think he has some underrated skill and shown chemistry of playing with quality players such as in preseason 2 years ago when he played on a line with Tkachuk and Norris and performed well.

It would certainly be great if Boucher can surprise in camp and push for and potentially earn a roster spot. I guess we will know whether that seems like a possibility based on the rookie tournament.

What bubble players do you think might surprise in training camp/preseason? Or, what roster players do you think will have taken a big leap in development this offseason and will surprise with their performance in training camp/preseason?
He's goign to have trouble finding a role in Belleville, let alone Ottawa

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He's goign to have trouble finding a role in Belleville, let alone Ottawa
Let's see how he looks in the rookie tournament and then we will go from there.

What you stated seems to be what most people expect from him at this point. This thread is about speculating about players that could surprise in training camp/pre-season. If Boucher performs to the level where he could actually be in consideration for a roster spot in Ottawa, would you not be surprised?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Let's see how he looks in the rookie tournament and then we will go from there.

What you stated seems to be what most people expect from him at this point. This thread is about speculating about players that could surprise in training camp/pre-season. If Boucher performs to the level where he could actually be in consideration for a roster spot in Ottawa, would you not be surprised?
I'd be surprised if he had a prominent role in the AHL, so a role in the NHL this year is definitely a surprise

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not to be cheeky but I’ll say Thomas Chabot. If he could skate and dominate like he did at the WJC and be that force skating with the puck on his stick - suddenly you have 2x Norris level Dmen and your team goes from bubble playoff team to a 100 point team who can control play for large parts of games.

Right now the Sens mentality is one more save, one more shot than the other team to win. If they had Sandy and Chabby skating like All-Stars for 82 games the Sens will get 100 points

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'd be surprised if he had a prominent role in the AHL, so a role in the NHL this year is definitely a surprise
I think a lot of people have written him off but I am genuinely curious to see what kind of progress he has made this offseason and how he looks in training camp/pre-season.

If I am looking at players that I really expect to push for roster spots then I wouldn't be inclined to think of him. I would think, like most on here, that he would need to carve out a role in the AHL first. I saw some intriguing flashes of his play last year and I am curious what kind of development program Poulin, Staios and Matt Nichol developed for him and what kind of impact that might have had in his development this off season.

I think the rookie tournament will help us see where he is at. If he really stands out there then it could be a positive sign for how he might look in preseason. If he doesn't stand out there then we will have good reason to believe that he will be trying to carve out a role in the AHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think a lot of people have written him off but I am genuinely curious to see what kind of progress he has made this offseason and how he looks in training camp/pre-season.

If I am looking at players that I really expect to push for roster spots then I wouldn't be inclined to think of him. I would think, like most on here, that he would need to carve out a role in the AHL first. I saw some intriguing flashes of his play last year and I am curious what kind of development program Poulin, Staios and Matt Nichol developed for him and what kind of impact that might have had in his development this off season.

I think the rookie tournament will help us see where he is at. If he really stands out there then it could be a positive sign for how he might look in preseason. If he doesn't stand out there then we will have good reason to believe that he will be trying to carve out a role in the AHL.
I'll personally be surprised if he isn't traded for a 5th/6th/AHL body type return by the draft, or early next season. Something like the Jarventie trade we just saw.

New management group likely doesn't have the same patience, or fondness, as the ones that brought him in, and right now he's probably battling with 6/7 other guys for a bottom 6 role in Belleville.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Not to be cheeky but I’ll say Thomas Chabot. If he could skate and dominate like he did at the WJC and be that force skating with the puck on his stick - suddenly you have 2x Norris level Dmen and your team goes from bubble playoff team to a 100 point team who can control play for large parts of games.

Right now the Sens mentality is one more save, one more shot than the other team to win. If they had Sandy and Chabby skating like All-Stars for 82 games the Sens will get 100 points

yea but i mean that was wjc and chabot played on a stacked team against weak competition.

it would be nice but i think at this point it's fair to say that Chabot has no norris level to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad