Speculation: Early Buyer/Seller predictions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Even if the habs are somehow in a WC playoff mix in March, I suspect they'll move some guys. It depends how guys like Beck, Hutson and Mailloux play, but they'll move on from Armia and Dvorak - both UFA's-to-be and maybe Savard and Evans. Though I think they may resign Evans.
They also might move another young Dman like Barron or Struble.
They also have 8 picks in the 1st three rounds next summer so not sure about having more picks. I guess he can defer them to 26-27
I think Montreal will be surprisingly good this year and will use the huge amount of prospects/draft capital to ADD to the roster.

They will keep Savard. Armia, Dvorak and Evans are not going to get them much but they are undoubtedly offered around.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think Montreal will be surprisingly good this year and will use the huge amount of prospects/draft capital to ADD to the roster.

They will keep Savard. Armia, Dvorak and Evans are not going to get them much but they are undoubtedly offered around.

Montreal is going to drive through villages in a jeep setting off fireworks and firing pistols into the air.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs could be buyers.

If they finish this season like they did last season as a ~102~ point bubble team they're going to have to be buyers like last season when they brought in Edmundson and others to help prop up their weaknesses.

Lots of likely holes on that team with questionable goaltending moving forward, a piece-meal defence and not much forward depth beyond the snore four.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Caps could easily go either way.

If they end up losing, theres going to be some interesting players on the table that could get quite a haul.

Lindgren (G)
Thompson (G)
Chychrun (D)
Sandin? (D)
van Riemsdyk (D)
Mangiapane (F)
Dowd (F)
McMichael? (F)
Milano (F)

and obviously the one everybody would like to get their hands on;

Dubois - but would require a "King's Ransom" to get a negotiation even started.

If they end up buying, top6 winger and a depth dman are the most obvious targets. Have some picks and prospects to turn around if it makes sense.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Leafs could be buyers.

If they finish this season like they did last season as a ~102~ point bubble team they're going to have to be buyers like last season when they brought in Edmundson and others to help prop up their weaknesses.

Lots of likely holes on that team with questionable goaltending moving forward, a piece-meal defence and not much forward depth beyond the snore four.
leafs are not a character team?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Caps could easily go either way.

If they end up losing, theres going to be some interesting players on the table that could get quite a haul.

Lindgren (G)
Thompson (G)
Chychrun (D)
Sandin? (D)
van Riemsdyk (D)
Mangiapane (F)
Dowd (F)
McMichael? (F)
Milano (F)

and obviously the one everybody would like to get their hands on;

Dubois - but would require a "King's Ransom" to get a negotiation even started.

If they end up buying, top6 winger and a depth dman are the most obvious targets. Have some picks and prospects to turn around if it makes sense.

Mangipane is somebody I do want.

And seeing as Treliving had him in Calgary and he's from Toronto I bet he'd be a target.

Him or Vatrano

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs could be buyers.

I don't think that the Toronto core deserves for the team to be buyers. Until they can prove that they can perform in the post season, as they do in the regular season, adding players is a waste of time. Really, it doesn't matter much who you add, if your top players aren't performing.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Obviously It's early, It's only September but I'm curious who do you think will be the buyers and sellers this season?

I'm not necessarily talking about teams we know will be sellers like the Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, Wings or Sabres because those teams are obvious.

I'm talking about the surprise buyer and seller.

For example nobody is expecting it but with Nuke and Langdeskog both out of the lineup, I think there is a world where Colorado could be a seller if only for this year.

I also think the Blues could be a seller.

I see Ottawa as a potential surprise buyer depending on how Ullmark does.

it Would be interesting to look back on this thread in 6 months and see who is right.

Sabres are obvious sellers? LOL They weren't selling last year either....

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sabres are obvious sellers? LOL They weren't selling last year either....

I mean they probably aren't a playoff team because the top 4 is still the top 4.

Even if the Atlantic took 5 spots which I don't think they will, but even if they did Ottawa is more likely to take that spot because they at least made an effort to get better.

So no I don't see why they wouldn't sell Zucker, or Joker, or Greenway, possibly Lafferty, although Lafferty has an extra year so maybe not.

But their UFA's? I see no reason why not.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I mean they probably aren't a playoff team because the top 4 is still the top 4.

Even if the Atlantic took 5 spots which I don't think they will, but even if they did Ottawa is more likely to take that spot because they at least made an effort to get better.

So no I don't see why they wouldn't sell Zucker, or Joker, or Greenway, possibly Lafferty, although Lafferty has an extra year so maybe not.

But their UFA's? I see no reason why not.

First, I don't agree the Top 4 is the Top 4..... as well as the fact every team is a couple of injuries away from disaster. Every team.

Also, the Sabres have made it crystal clear that they are buyers and moving forward.
They have 8 million available cap space to make a huge dent at the TDL. I could see Greenway being moved out more because of his redundancy..... 13th man.

I would also add that IF the Sabres miss the playoffs it will still come down to one of the last games of the season and there is no way they will sell and the optics would be horrible.

Reactions: SoupNazi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
First, I don't agree the Top 4 is the Top 4..... as well as the fact every team is a couple of injuries away from disaster. Every team.

Also, the Sabres have made it crystal clear that they are buyers and moving forward.
They have 8 million available cap space to make a huge dent at the TDL. I could see Greenway being moved out more because of his redundancy..... 13th man.

The top 4 is the top 4 until there is reason to believe otherwise.

As of September 18th 2024 there isn't

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The top 4 is the top 4 until there is reason to believe otherwise.

As of September 18th 2024 there isn't
Really.... I could easily see Tampa falling out. Does Florida have a hangover season as we have seen so many times?? Bruins are still weak down the middle. The Leafs while the current class of the Atlantic have many question marks particularly 4th line, defense and goaltending. Top 9 is awesome as of September 18th, 2024.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
Devils if they are sellers (doubtful) I could see them asking Haula to waive for a chance at the playoffs. Maybe Tatar if he has any value at all. Doubt they have anybody they would trade on expiring contracts.

Baring major long term injuries the should have done enough to make the playoffs this year but they have to gel under their new coach and play to their potential. On paper they should make it, but as well all know, the game is played on the ice, not paper.

If they are buyers, I'd look for a scoring winger or center depth.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers buyers of throwing picks at players that dont do anything to help the Rangers. Who is the next Wennberg Roslovic of the garbage players available at the deadline that the Rangers can throw away 2ed 3rd round picks?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wings will I think likely depend on health. If Larks and Seider remain healthy I think they are too close to the bubble to sell. If they lose either of those guys we don't have the depth at C or D to stay in the hunt long.

Wings also don't have a lot in the way of sellable assets. On expiring contracts its basically Kane and maybe Lyon. If you add in year left people Tank, Chiarot, and Veleno could draw interest if they don't stink this season but I really only expect Chia and Tank to be dealt if someone else is being brought in at the same time.

I think we'll likely be a stand pat unless we see major injuries to Seider or Larks then maybe a sell.

Ledge And Dairy

for non oiler fans:

The Oilers will be searching for a top 4 Right defenseman and were willing to trade Ceci and let Broberg and Holloway walk to create cap space for this move. They will be accruing cap space for the entire time that Evander Kane is out to get the cap space to acquire a serious player in the mold of the Ekholm deal. All of these clues have been discussed for a while now on the oilers board. The length of time it takes to make this deal will likely be dictated by the play of the team. If we suck out of the gate this season then the November move will be this defense deal. If not they will try to stretch to the deadline to get as much cap space as possible to spend for the push.

I do disagree with the goaltender need currently. I would rather get two RD than spend on goaltending we just cant afford currently.
They would actually accrue much more cap space if Kane wasn't injured. Him being on IR/LTIR doesn't take him off the cap. Plus they will have to promote someone to replace him in the lineup.

As it stands right now Edmonton has ~950k in cap space and a 22 man roster. If they place Kane on IR they will still only have 950k cap space but a 21 man roster. They will get the option of using the LTIR relief pool, which allows them to go over the cap by essentially Kanes entire cap hit minus how far that 950k. However they will not be able to accrue a penny as long as they are over the cap like that.

What is most likely to happen is Edmonton will sign or promote someone to use as much of that 950k and have a 23 man roster, then place Kane on LTIR to maximize the LTIR relief pool, and then replace him. This way they will not accrue any cap but as long as he is out they will have a large pool of relief to add with.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad