Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I’m not the GM I don’t know what the options are.

Chevy got good value, especially compared to the rest of the deals today. I don’t like the idea of buying rentals as a bad team but if we can resign Demelo that turns into a good deal so there is potential for this trade to turn into a great value move.

"Chevy got good value"............

180 degrees on your original post then.....OK

Reactions: Jets 31

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
How the Winnipeg Jets are as a team and an organization in a nutshell. AND I LOVE IT.

3pld5e.jpg

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not unhappy with this, at least compared to the alternative of trading higher picks and good prospects. He could make the difference between making the PO and not. He could sign here for a reasonable price next year. Maybe.

He doesn't make us a contender though. But at least I don't hate the gamble.

I think the move is partly to get someone in to try to make the playoffs, and partly to establish a potential fit here to convince him to sign.

I don't think he'll cost much and the issue with Ottawa was apparently term, so if you can get four years at $3m or less, that would be really good. Might not be possible, but still a good goal.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Morrissey - Pionk
Kulikov - DeMelo
Beaulieu - Niku
definitely seems better than earlier this season.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
DeMelo has better underlying numbers than all Jets D-men this season:)

Not sure if it speaks to his quality, or the lack of quality of the Jets systems and underlying numbers:sarcasm: Probably a bit of both.

I like this pickup.
Huge difference IMO between paying a 2nd AND decent prospect (as rumored) for a 32 yo Martinez, who is more expensive, a LHD, and has worse underlying numbers, than a 3rd for RHD DeMelo.

Low risk, medium/high reward IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the keep him in the fold past this year then this is a great deal. We need a few good buy low acquisitions.

I am hoping for a similar move for a potential 2C at some point.

Even a rental 2C will cost a lot more than a 3rd - and probably go to market July 1.

Reactions: hn777

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A bona fide 2c will cost you the 2020 1st and an A prospect and maybe more...if he has term, add more on.

I think Chevy did well even if DeMelo doesn't re-sign. He averages 19:55 TOI, has thrown almost 100 hits, shoots right and plays the PK. This move makes the Jets better and lets us play Pionk, DeMelo and Poolman on the right side which gives us a better chance of making the playoffs.
The more playoff experience, the better... even if it is one or two series. It gives players like Apples and Harkins and Pionk a taste of what its like. It helps every player to play in the playoffs.
Also, the farther down Sbisa and Potato get legitimately pushed down, the better. Solid move by Chevy, especially if he re-signs.

I think Maurice starts him on the 2nd pairing. Ironically against the Sens....

Morrissey Pionk
Kuli DeMelo
Bealieu Poolman

The player and team get to check each other out for a 1/4 of the season and hopefully everything works out both ways and we sign him as our 3rd pairing D man next year (I'm hoping Chevy gets another RHD this summer) and Poolman is our 7D with Boolow or someone as the 8D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
zero chance niku plays over poolman.

That wasn't a projected lineup (I didn't even realise Poolman was back) but I was just saying that's a decent group of 6. Poolman in over someone like Beaulieu could make it even better (again a desire not a projection).

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
"Getting caved" isn't about plus / minus, it's about possession. Beaulieu's corsi% is 43.52%. His xGF is 11.47 and xGA 15.27, while actual GF is 16 and actual GA 7.

I'd say he's been getting extremely lucky if anything.
Then, he has gotten extremely lucky for almost two full seasons now with GF 32 - GA 18 with the Jets. You can't always rely on corsi etc.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's a fair question but we were a bad analytical team with good defensemen last season.

Can we really expect Maurice to change the system because we added Dylan Demelo? That seems a bit outlandish to me.

Like I said, like the player, like the price would love if we could re-sign him to a nice deal. At the same time it just makes no sense to give away assets for something that can only benefit you for 20 games in a lost season.

I certainly see your point. Fundamentally agree. But it is only a 3rd. It is a risk we can afford and this might improve our chances of retaining him next year. Much as I want the highest possible pick in the upcoming draft, I also want the team to have the highest possible chance of making a few bucks this season too. The business side is important to the long term health of the team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the move is partly to get someone in to try to make the playoffs, and partly to establish a potential fit here to convince him to sign.

I don't think he'll cost much and the issue with Ottawa was apparently term, so if you can get four years at $3m or less, that would be really good. Might not be possible, but still a good goal.

As a rule, I think renting players with the expectation they sign with us is a bit of a fantasy. But DeMelo is just the level of player who might like it here. He isn't expecting to go to the UFA market and get mega $$$.

But lest see how well he plays for us. :)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
As a rule, I think renting players with the expectation they sign with us is a bit of a fantasy. But DeMelo is just the level of player who might like it here. He isn't expecting to go to the UFA market and get mega $$$.

But lest see how well he plays for us. :)

I agree when it comes to the big pending UFAs. Stastny was apparently close but that was as close as it's going to get.

Comparing the odds of a 3rd rounder making it to re-signing a good #4/5 guy is a decent gamble.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Pretty happy about this deal. Ian Mendez was on 1290 a week ago and mentioned how Delmelo would be available and a good fit on our team. Looked him up after that and really liked what I saw.

He fits the type of D I want us to target, solid positional smart IQ Dmen that don’t necessarily put up points. You pay a premium for points and if those D are a liability defensively, they hurt you when thye aren’t scoring.

His interview gives me hope he can be resigned. If he resigns then this was is a very good deal for us.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ecolad

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It would have been nice if the Jets could've picked him up a month ago, or 4 months ago. Hopefully he does well and Chevy can re-sign him!

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Too bad the Jets can't sign Pet Tarantula for $20 million for the rest of the year and then 5 years at 6 million.

Basically the $22 million means nothing.

Or are there any $20 million D-men on a beach somewhere waiting for a phone call?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad