Dwayne Johnson

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hes a real good comedic actor and action star,

Kind of **** as a dramatic actor at the moment though.

SugarSherm

The One and Only
Aug 25, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
Extremely charismatic but not an actor I would expect to win any awards. His movies end up fun and enjoyable which is all you can ask for.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
He's great in action movies and entertaining in comedies because he's so charismatic.

But for more serious roles such as Pain & Gain and HBO's Ballers, I can't get into it because I keep expecting him to throw out some awesome one-liner or rock bottom somebody.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hes a real good comedic actor and action star,

Kind of **** as a dramatic actor at the moment though.

I don't think he's ever gotten the appreciation he deserves for those talents, and he certainly hasn't gotten the movie roles. They just see a big guy and push him into stereotypical big guy movies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know how much of an actor he is, but his ability to generate audience good will is off the charts. He has to be one of the most likeable presences in the business right now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was impressed by his moment of dramatic acting in the plane scene in San Andreas, when his character was talking to his ex-wife about the death of their youngest daughter. It got me thinking that he might handle a more serious role at some point. I doubt that we'll see that any time soon, though. He's at his peak and he's likely to continue making blockbusters and other people pleasers, so his opportunity for dramatic acting will probably be limited to a short scene per movie (i.e. the obligatory "action star briefly shows a human side" scene that grounds ridiculous movies in some reality), such as in San Andreas. Besides, I think that people want to be entertained by him right now and are not looking for him to do serious roles just yet.

In 20 years, when he's not so much of an action star and starts taking easier roles, we'll probably see him explore more dramatic roles. The "once tough guy past his prime and struggling with his age and his past" theme is very attractive to Hollywood and even to Oscar voters (see Stallone's nomination for Creed). I think that he'll be good at that when the time is right, but the time is certainly not right yet.

Last edited:

member 51464

Yeah, I could see The Rock in a remake of The Wrestler someday, haha.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He doesn't have the body. He gets typecast. I don't think we ever saw him perform on an Oscar level due to the movies he's in. Can't say if he has it in him.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Rock is such a box office draw right now when he sticks to his genre, I don't see him making the pivot to Oscar bait films anytime soon.

But, at some point, he'll have enough cash in the bank and still be a big enough star that he'll be able to latch onto something with some meat on it and work with a director that can get that performance out of him.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Agreed with the majority above.

His social media presence and ability to connect with people is next level too. One of the most likable stars in Hollywood.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He doesn't have the body. He gets typecast. I don't think we ever saw him perform on an Oscar level due to the movies he's in. Can't say if he has it in him.

I agree. Maybe if he slims down, then he won't be typecast so much. Schwartzeneggar and Stallone never won an Oscar....too large.

Maybe Forest Whitaker or Philip Seymour Hoffman size would do him good.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Rock is such a box office draw right now when he sticks to his genre, I don't see him making the pivot to Oscar bait films anytime soon.

Well next year he's gonna be in Baywatch, which just screams "Oscar bait". :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad