Ducks TV For Next Season( What channel?)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Has there been any updates as to what's going on with Bally's? Do we have an update on what channel or channels the ducks games will be on? I think the management needs to give an answer to us fans.
NHL and DSG agree to keep local broadcasts of 11 teams on Bally Sports - Sportcal Latest news we have.. Its basically in the NHL hands

Florida left Ballys a few days ago to broadcast their stuff for free. Dallas, also leaving Ballys, will be airing theirs on a new streaming service like two days ago. Nashville is exploring alternatives. The Kings and Ducks will probably be doing the same thing.

Guess your safest bet would be ESPN+ and a VPN. You get more bang for your buck because you get all the other games too; just have to change your VPN location.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Florida left Ballys a few days ago to broadcast their stuff for free. Dallas, also leaving Ballys, will be airing theirs on a new streaming service like two days ago. Nashville is exploring alternatives. The Kings and Ducks will probably be doing the same thing.

Guess your safest bet would be ESPN+ and a VPN. You get more bang for your buck because you get all the other games too; just have to change your VPN location.
They had caught on to the vpn I had been using so I just ended up with Ballys last season. Is there one you had used that you had decent luck with? I guess I’m also at the mercy of which VPN’s are available on Roku tv.

• Wow
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
They had caught on to the vpn I had been using so I just ended up with Ballys last season. Is there one you had used that you had decent luck with? I guess I’m also at the mercy of which VPN’s are available on Roku tv.
How did they do that? VPN is always changing

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I’m not smart enough to know how they were, but they would block it so even if I connected it would still realize I was in SoCal even though I was connected somewhere else in the US. It would work some days, and not others. Eventually the hassle wasn’t worth it for me.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m not smart enough to know how they were, but they would block it so even if I connected it would still realize I was in SoCal even though I was connected somewhere else in the US. It would work some days, and not others. Eventually the hassle wasn’t worth it for me.
I think sometimes when you’re on a mobile device (not an Ethernet connection) they have a way of knowing the location of your device.

Tony O

May 31, 2011
A friend told me, cough, cough. You can load the VPN onto a fire stick/ cube and spoof your IP to use ESPN +. It was working last season. But this is only third-hand information, cough, cough…

Phones and desktop web browsers have geolocation tracking. You would have to turn that off on your phone and or browser. But no guarantees that would work.

Tony O

May 31, 2011
I do not believe Roku will support a VPN app. You would have to set the VPN up through your router. The same goes for an Apple TV streaming box.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
I just wish I could watch hockey games. You know? Like its odd that they try to prevent us from watching games and then act like, "why are there no fans?"

Idk.. cuz I live in socal and I never know what service your NHL games are on, how to watch it, what weird internet service I need this year... And I'm a fan trying to track down games. And then sometimes I pay for some service to watch your games and then I can't watch them because there is a blackout or its not being covered or its on a completely different service for some games?

How do you attract a non-fan and make them a fan if you make being a fan behind odd paywalls and hoops and change them every year?

Just seems like a bad system.

Tony O

May 31, 2011

Yes but no. You will have access to many out-of-market games but not all the games. Games on TNT and NHL Network do not air on ESPN +. Also, for games on ESPN and ESPN 2 proper you’ll need confirmation that you purchased it through a cable or other streaming service. ESPN + will show you the game is available but then ask you to log in with your cable or streaming service credentials.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I do not believe Roku will support a VPN app. You would have to set the VPN up through your router. The same goes for an Apple TV streaming box.
Dang oh well. I guess I’ll just pay for what they go with this offseason, or even better if they follow suit with the other teams and use their own service.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Dang oh well. I guess I’ll just pay for what they go with this offseason, or even better if they follow suit with the other teams and use their own service.
I just sign in to my vpn on my iPhone and then airplay the espn + stream to my Apple TV. That worked fine 100% of the time. MLB tv is the one that doesn't load off my phone due to it using the phones gps and I have to log in to my laptop for it to work.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just wish I could watch hockey games. You know? Like its odd that they try to prevent us from watching games and then act like, "why are there no fans?"

Idk.. cuz I live in socal and I never know what service your NHL games are on, how to watch it, what weird internet service I need this year... And I'm a fan trying to track down games. And then sometimes I pay for some service to watch your games and then I can't watch them because there is a blackout or its not being covered or its on a completely different service for some games?

How do you attract a non-fan and make them a fan if you make being a fan behind odd paywalls and hoops and change them every year?

Just seems like a bad system.
It's not just a Ducks/NHL thing, it's all the major sports leagues' thing. The leagues are trying to sign multiple contracts with multiple providers to try and rake in more money than just one provider will net them. The problem then becomes that fans are expected to sign up for multiple subscriptions across multiple providers in order to see their favorite team. People are already revolting about this elsewhere with other leagues.

It will probably have to get worse before it gets better. Until then, don't feel bad about doing whatever works for you.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's not just a Ducks/NHL thing, it's all the major sports leagues' thing. The leagues are trying to sign multiple contracts with multiple providers to try and rake in more money than just one provider will net them. The problem then becomes that fans are expected to sign up for multiple subscriptions across multiple providers in order to see their favorite team. People are all ready revolting about this elsewhere with other leagues.

It will probably have to get worse before it gets better. Until then, don't feel bad about doing whatever works for you.
I dread trying to explain to my dad, now in his 80s, how to watch Ducks games every year. All he used to have to do was subscribe to whatever cable package had prime ticket!

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I risk sounding like a ‘old man yells at cloud moment’ but why the NHL (or professional sports in general) hasn’t moved to FREE streaming services for everyone is frustrating.

I wish they had more sports content streamed on Stadium or even on a OTA antenna broadcast somehow. The only thing I miss from the NBC era is watching a ton of games without cable. Now it seems like with ESPN/ABC - only getting a handful

I thought the NHL was going to be on Amazon Prime now? Or maybe there was rumors of this happening?

I thought so. I even read here some time ago that ESPN was going to be streaming the Swedish Elite League at some point too.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
The problem then becomes that fans are expected to sign up for multiple subscriptions across multiple providers in order to see their favorite team.

Hope that never makes it over to the EU (or Finland more specifically). Just one provider for now, which is good, but they charge a lot.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

I'm pretty sure they aren't. NordVPN for example, has different locations you can choose but the IP for those locations is always the same as far as I know. I guess ESPN could hire an intern, give them a NordVPN subscription and just block all the IP's they see.

I have a VPN on 24/7 and I constantly have to turn it off because some websites don't work with it on. Regardless of how they do it, websites/companies have a way of knowing when you are using a VPN.

Having said that, last season it would work on my PC with my VPN on but it was a HUGE pain in the ass. Took multiple tries, player seemed to not work constantly and just so, so slow.

I also have a Google TV where I installed both the NordVPN and ESPN apps. Worked flawlessly pretty much every time. Tried the same on a FireTV (Fire Stick) and that did NOT work.

Reactions: Kalv

ocslug

Jul 3, 2024
Orange County, CA
We know that Bally Sports SoCal will be changing its name and branding before the regular season starts, but I wish that the Ducks would exit that contract and move to over the air broadcast, like the phoenix suns do.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
We know that Bally Sports SoCal will be changing its name and branding before the regular season starts, but I wish that the Ducks would exit that contract and move to over the air broadcast, like the phoenix suns do.
Really? Where did you read that?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm pretty sure they aren't. NordVPN for example, has different locations you can choose but the IP for those locations is always the same as far as I know. I guess ESPN could hire an intern, give them a NordVPN subscription and just block all the IP's they see.

I have a VPN on 24/7 and I constantly have to turn it off because some websites don't work with it on. Regardless of how they do it, websites/companies have a way of knowing when you are using a VPN.

Having said that, last season it would work on my PC with my VPN on but it was a HUGE pain in the ass. Took multiple tries, player seemed to not work constantly and just so, so slow.

I also have a Google TV where I installed both the NordVPN and ESPN apps. Worked flawlessly pretty much every time. Tried the same on a FireTV (Fire Stick) and that did NOT work.
Years back I used to use a VPN to watch professional cycling on Eurosport where I paid for a subscription. (Unfortunately they quit selling me a subscription when they started checking the residency of the credit card holder.) I always had to log in to an English speaking country in Europe (usually the UK or Ireland). It was always a pain in the ass to find the best server because the distance from Europe to SoCal caused latency issues. I used it because there were no alternatives for most races (and IMO, their coverage of the Tour de France was much better than NBC) and it usually worked good enough, but it was not a lot of fun to deal with.

Another issue I had was that even just using the VPN for so called security reasons seemed to make my computer run noticeably slower. I tried different VPN companies but always seemed to have issues of one kind or another. I haven't used a VPN lately so I don't know if they have become any better but my previous experiences weren't memorable.

Reactions: 2faded

Tony O

May 31, 2011

Oh, it works on a fire stick, you have to jump through some hoops. Everything has to go in a certain order, and you have to remember to clear the cache out from the app you're trying to use to view the game. I can get into more specifics, but I'll leave it at that.

Also, all VPNs should give you a location choice for the IP. Utah used to be a perfect location to use. Phoenix will be better for this upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad