Ducks to broadcast every game for free

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

000x000

Nov 11, 2023
Sounds like someone in the org finally came to the realization that streaming is the future and Bally is pretty much obsolete at this point. I also think it's nice they're offering games OTA on 13.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
More and more people are pirating hockey games. No one's heart is bleeding for multimillionaires who mumble "t's juss' a biziness, y'know" about every fifth sentence of every interview they give.

The sports industry is constantly adjusting, just like the music industry has to.

Teams might as well generate some goodwill, feed the games to the fans through official channels and control the marketing message, make some money off the weaker minded consumers and gambling addicts out there.

You'll see more teams and more leagues doing similar things, and monetize in different ways. The money is still gonna flow.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
To be clear people, this will only be for the Ducks region. You'd have to use some kind of VPN to access the free streams if you live elsewhere.

Reactions: MCB

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Wait you guys are paying to watch hockey?
You disgust me

image.png

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
People think the ducks are doing this out of some sort of goodness of their heart.

Reality is they can't get the regional sports fees they used to due to shifting market factors and think the best deal they can get is ad share revenue from free options.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
You disgust me

image.png

Theoretically, it is possible, although very, very, very inefficient, to make a car out of 3d printing and some other heavy machinery that would receive downloaded files and make the parts of the car for you.

You'd need the materials, the thousands of parts all planned-out into separate files for your professional-grade tools to do their job, and then the know-how to get all of those disparate parts into a single coherent car, mostly getting rid of excess material, polishing, making sure everything runs smoothly, and more.

But yeah, if someone was willing to spend all that money and effort, it would actually be possible to "download a car" in a broader sense.

And that's now, in 2024.

Who's to say in 2080 or whatever, that downloading plans from models that you like and then getting them built out of "nano-polymers" or something at a local factory won't become the norm?

Maybe then downloading your car would actually be the norm, not the exception.

Aside from that I bid thee good day. I had fun contemplating the ridiculous notion of a downloaded car.

Oh, and I actually applaud the Ducks for making their games more easily-watchable. It helps build/retain a fanbase and is overall good for the sport.

Profits might have never been higher for the NHL, but I genuinely think the league as a whole had more pull and sway amongst the general populace when the games were more widely available, 'least in Canada.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Interesting....

Ducks fans , do you guys have ANY insight in to how/why this happened?

I am curious if the Ducks were being proactive or if we can expect to see a lot more of this
Probably once Bally’s fiasco started.

Ducks started the Ducks Stream last year and took their radio coverage over to a free 24/7 streaming/podcasts service. This is probably the next marketing step in addition to the new logo/jerseys. Everything is getting ramped up to when the Ducks will be good and the construction around the arena is done. The owners are spending a crap ton on this.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Interesting....

Ducks fans , do you guys have ANY insight in to how/why this happened?

I am curious if the Ducks were being proactive or if we can expect to see a lot more of this
Pretty sure because the suck so bad and the socal market is not kind to poorly performing teams. Build up the fan base while these kids are developing.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Still too much to hear Brian Hayward do colour. One of the homerest homers in all the homerverse!

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Ah, the freemium model that many video games do.

Watch the NHL games, and make money on merchandise!

With the new Ducks branding, it would be a good move to expose themselves to as many eyeballs as possible, get new and old fans excited, and sell merchandise.

Reactions: SirJW

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’m a cynic, whats the catch?

Ain’t no such thing as a free lunch

The catch is there’s ads. That should be it. And you’re watching a Ducks game.

I get the cynicism though, sad what they’ve done to us. Infinitely better technology, better availability when I was still watchin a f***in Zenith.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
People think the ducks are doing this out of some sort of goodness of their heart.

Reality is they can't get the regional sports fees they used to due to shifting market factors and think the best deal they can get is ad share revenue from free options.

This is close to the correct answer. With Diamond/Ballys in bankruptcy and Amazon pulling out of providing future funding, Diamond/Bally's will not be in a position to pay the rights fee and/or fund the broadcasts (at least in the short run). However, there will not be long term clarity as to what happens to the ducks broadcast rights in the bankruptcy courts any time soon. The court will need to decide that and there will assuredly be litigation.

So this left the ducks in need of a short term/stop gap solution. The only short term option is a "free" deal where the broadcasting network/streamer is only given one year of rights and probably has some sort of profit sharing arrangement with the ducks. In the next year or two, the ducks (and lots of other MLB/NHL teams) are hoping the bankruptcy will sort itself out in a way that allows them to enter into a new rights deal. It is also possible that Diamond/Ballys will reorganize/recapitalize and retain the rights. Or they could be sold/transferred to another part or even terminated. TBD

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Jim Lites (chairman of stars) is on board of APMC (parent company of victory+), i'm guessing he has sizeable investment in this company, which is probably why Stars decided to go with this tiny company that does kids streaming with monetization via ads instead of a more established streamer

Reactions: Static

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad