Proposal: Ducks-Senators

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Not gonna happen... Melnyk want us to maintain a cap as close to the floor as possible and we still need to sign Hoffman (5M+) & Ceci (2M+).... Plus ANA are in win now mode, and the style that Kesler plays is perfect for them

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think there is something brewing between 4 teams ,Ottawa and ANA being two of them ,the other two i think will be Col and EDM .All have pieces to make separate deals work for one another :nod:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Even if the 2 teams agreed (and I don't think either side would) I doubt Kesler would be willing to waive his NMC.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Even if the 2 teams agreed (and I don't think either side would) I doubt Kesler would be willing to waive his NMC.
Not for Ottawa.And besides ,neither would view this as an upgrade .The piece i could see ANA wanting though is Hoffman

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Anaheim acquires Mika Zibanejad, JG Pageau and/or 1st round pick 2017

Ottawa requires Ryan Kesler

Awful for Ottawa. Hell, I wouldn't trade Pageau straight up for Kesler. When you factor in age, contract and health, Pageau is way too valuable to our budget team. Plus he led the league in shorties and is constantly getting better.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim has no interest in moving Kesler, and the deal doesn't work for Ottawa at all either. That's not the type of package you give up for a player Kesler's age, even if he is still playing fantastic hockey. Just seems like a bad idea all around.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Anaheim acquires Mika Zibanejad, JG Pageau and/or 1st round pick 2017

Ottawa requires Ryan Kesler

Don't see Senators wanting to do it and good luck getting Kesler to waive to go to Ottawa not to mention if we do this it hurts are ability to win now because Kesler is good defensively wins a lot of faceoffs and so on that is important to us.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm not sure Kesler is a huge upgrade on Zibs anymore, especially considering the age difference. And then throwing in JPP or a 1st?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
OTtawa's GM has said that Pageau is his favorite player of all time. I doubt he gets moved anytime soon, or at all.

Too much youth to give up from a young team for an aging player, even if that aging player is the best player in the trade.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wouldn't take Kesler for free. Sens already have one overpaid former star in Ryan on the books.

Would be the deal of the century for the Ducks if Murray could pull this off.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Anaheim's window is open. Ottawa's is not. Trading/acquiring Kesler doesn't make that much sense give that context.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wouldn't take Kesler for free. Sens already have one overpaid former star in Ryan on the books.

For every bad proposal there's an even worse over reaction. Kesler isn't overpaid at all, he's a Selke candidate and easily worth his contract right now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Kesler was just a finalist for the Selke, and put up 53 points while also being a key component on a team that won the Jennings. He might become a former overpaid star, but he isn't one yet.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'm far, far, far away from Kesler's biggest fan. But he puts up ~50 points a year and puts up Selke level defense. Andrew Ladd just got a similar deal and he's not as good as Kesler.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Not a fan of the price in the OP from Ottawa side. Kesler is better off staying where he is.

If there's a deal between these teams I'd bet it'll be Hoffman for Theodore based.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Not a fan of the price in the OP from Ottawa side. Kesler is better off staying where he is.

If there's a deal between these teams I'd bet it'll be Hoffman for Theodore based.

And I can guarantee that isn't happening without Ottawa taking serious salary dumps back. The Ducks as a budget team can't afford to trade cheap talented roster players.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
And I can guarantee that isn't happening without Ottawa taking serious salary dumps back. The Ducks as a budget team can't afford to trade cheap talented roster players.

Yes, you're right. But we're both in the same boat.

It'd be an even money deal.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
What would be? Stoner+Despres+Theodore? Because Hoffman will be making quite a bit more than Theo this year.

Hoffman isn't going to get $7M. Who knows what the deal will be but I'd expect it to be in the $5M range.

As for the trade, I'm not really sure. You guys really don't have much in the way of contracts you need to move out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad