Ducks score an illegal goal

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't understand why the play has to stop when the puck is on the netting anyway. Why?

To me, the netting is like the dasher on the boards. If the puck is on the dasher, they don't blow the whistle, so why the netting? Just poke it / play it.

On a different topic, those Ducks' uniforms are.... something.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Back a few years ago, Rantanen high sticked the puck in the neutral zone right before entering the Flames' zone, leading to a goal. Because it was in the neutral zone, it wasn't challengeable.

I was upset, but I consoled myself that eventually the other shoe would drop.

Finally.
As it should, puck leaves the zone everything resets. No advantage

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The puck hit the netting in the back on a dump-in, but only Girard saw it. He had no idea what to do so he just ices it back in the Ducks zone, but they retrieved it and come down and score. Bush league by the league.

He could, you know, continue to play the game since the whistle wasn't blown.

The Ducks didn't score an illegal goal, the Avs stopped playing when there wasn't a whistle to stop the play.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The puck hit the netting in the back on a dump-in, but only Girard saw it. He had no idea what to do so he just ices it back in the Ducks zone, but they retrieved it and come down and score. Bush league by the league.
I mean that should never count after reviewing it even after the period ends. It's not like missing an interference or offsides. Puck hitting the net is a dead play instantly.

He could, you know, continue to play the game since the whistle wasn't blown.

The Ducks didn't score an illegal goal, the Avs stopped playing when there wasn't a whistle to stop the play.
Avs stopped because it should have been whistled dead.

The refs not doing the actual f***ing job they're paid to do shouldn't be on the Avs at all. They have enough of these zebra'd wankers on the ice to have at least two of them pay attention to where the puck is.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
On a different topic, those Ducks' uniforms are.... something.
For the most part, I really like them. I would have just done black pants, black helmet and some black shoulder yokes , and I think they'd look incredible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Avs stopped because it should have been whistled dead.

The refs not doing the actual f***ing job they're paid to do shouldn't be on the Avs at all. They have enough of these zebra'd wankers on the ice to have at least two of them pay attention to where the puck is.

It doesn't matter if it should have been blown dead, it wasn't blown dead. It's their own fault for stopping playing when the ref didn't blow the play dead.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It doesn't matter if it should have been blown dead, it wasn't blown dead. It's their own fault for stopping playing when the ref didn't blow the play dead.
Yeah why assume the refs and linesmen should do the job they were hired for.

Victim blaming is obviously the correct path.

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah why assume the refs and linesmen should do the job they were hired for.

Victim blaming is obviously the correct path.
It's not victim blaming, play until the whistle has been drilled into every player's head from a young age.

Just because you believe something happened that should cause a whistle, doesn't mean you stop playing. You only stop when it was actually blown. After all, you might actually be wrong about what happened, and it is much better to be safe than sorry. They weren't wrong here, but the point still remains, you continue to play until you have been ordered to stop, not when you feel like it should stop.

I's kind of funny that you make excuses for the players stopping, yet somehow the refs have to be perfect and see everything. If it's okay for the players to not do what has been drilled into their head for ages, surely it must be okay for the refs to miss something. They are humans, they will not get everything right. Doesn't mean that they "aren't doing what they were hired for". Though I guess some people are completely flawless at the job they do... :sarcasm:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
I’m just not sure I can carry on supporting this league with THIS happening

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It's not victim blaming, play until the whistle has been drilled into every player's head from a young age.

Just because you believe something happened that should cause a whistle, doesn't mean you stop playing. You only stop when it was actually blown. After all, you might actually be wrong about what happened, and it is much better to be safe than sorry. They weren't wrong here, but the point still remains, you continue to play until you have been ordered to stop, not when you feel like it should stop.

I's kind of funny that you make excuses for the players stopping, yet somehow the refs have to be perfect and see everything. If it's okay for the players to not do what has been drilled into their head for ages, surely it must be okay for the refs to miss something. They are humans, they will not get everything right. Doesn't mean that they "aren't doing what they were hired for". Though I guess some people are completely flawless at the job they do... :sarcasm:
Tracking a puck that goes out of play is one of those at least a minimum requirement type of situation.

In the end the Avs still won so the universe sorted that. But the piss poor officiating is already off to an idiotic start. As a Pens fan I can say this without bias that the Sabres got screwed on a clear offsides goal by the Pens that they quite literally challenged and somehow lost. It's absolutely comical to even call that a goal when it's clearly offsides. From a video review challenge no less and that's a video team hired to literally do that for the league.

Then refs not even paying attention to it going out of play, whatever they stopped skating. But if the team says hey this was out, the refs have reviewed and discussed mistakes before and changed their ruling, the NHL allows these idiots to keep screwing up and then protects them from criticism.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I’m surprised so many people understand the OP. If a puck is iced, how was it then retrieved and brought back by the opposing team?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.webp

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
What happened to challenging this for non stoppage or whatever?
The Avs retrieved the puck that was supposed to be out of play and cleared the zone. So I guess the NHL deems that as advantage lost or a non continuation.
Basically it’s the avs fault for getting scored on and not a direct result of the puck hitting the netting.

Oct 18, 2011
If the refs didn't see it they aren't supposed to call it. Bad officiating is nothing new

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Ducks dump it in while they have a guy deep in the offensive zone, meaning they had to tag out before they could even forecheck. Puck falls to Girard and there are no Ducks anywhere near, but he just stops playing.

Sure, the referees probably should have blown the play dead, but no one would even remember this if Girard just kept playing normally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad