Ducks name Radko Gudas captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe the club sees their younger guys as not ready to handle the responsibilities of captain while losing so much? I thought Zegras, who can be a bit prickly and has been in the league for a while, would be ready.
I think part of the issue is none of these young guys have had anyone captain to learn from, they were all here after getzlaf retired…. So it’s prob ideal to have a guy like gudas who has played under good leaders and always been a leader on his teams(even if he didn’t have a letter) to show/set an example of what is needed for that posistion.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It’s funny a lot of fans say that, but I guess Anaheim is pretty far under everyone’s radar.

Cause for Anaheim fans it was the obvious choice
I get that just figured they might select someone more geared to the future . Maybe Terry might be the right age / role . I don’t know much about Anaheim situation but it’s obviously too early for a guy like Zegras or Carlsson to be considerations . So maybe you’re right there weren’t a ton of viable options . Maybe Fowler ?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I get that just figured they might select someone more geared to the future . Maybe Terry might be the right age / role . I don’t know much about Anaheim situation but it’s obviously too early for a guy like Zegras or Carlsson to be considerations . So maybe you’re right there weren’t a ton of viable options . Maybe Fowler ?

Fowler to me doesn’t really represent the culture/leadership pv and Cronin would look for.

I think most of our young guys havnt played with a captain so gudas makes sense as a stop gap/ teacher for the guys you listed.

Terry was prob the other candidate, if I had to gusss… but if you’re saving the captain in hopes carlsson/mctavish / zegras are the future guys…. Terry might be an awkward pick, because he has a long career ahead of him.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It’s funny a lot of fans say that, but I guess Anaheim is pretty far under everyone’s radar.

Cause for Anaheim fans it was the obvious choice
THIS

Last suspension was 2019. He's been clean for awhile now. He's also been quite good for awhile now. Won't lie, he's exactly what my Oilers need a 2RD.

Reactions: Laus723

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

"It wasn't an easy decision to pick Radko," Verbeek said on Friday. "We had a lot of good candidates, which is a good thing. I think the team is happy with the decision as well. At some point, there has to be a single voice that can take charge in the locker room, and I felt Radko could be that guy."

"I've had a long history with Radko," Verbeek continued. "Steve (Yzerman) and I drafted him in Tampa. Radko plays with emotion. He's an emotional leader. We're a young team, but one of the great things about Radko is it doesn't matter what team he plays for, his teammates love him."

Cronin expressed his desire for a captain at his exit interview in April, like Verbeek, stating the team needed someone who could "hold teammates accountable" and having someone like that could "take that burden off the coaching staff." He also noted when a teammate expresses a message, it has a greater impact.

"Our team needs to have this relentless mentality. What player better personifies that than Radko," Cronin said on Thursday. "He's a really quality person off the ice. You look at his family and the way he handles himself as a father, he's just a great dad. You want somebody like that representing the organization. It's not just about our team; it's about being a spokesperson for the organization."

"He's a ferocious player," Cronin continued. "He's intimidating, he's got the beard, he's got the look that backs up his play. I knew within my (first) conversation on the phone with him he's a good guy and he has a good value system. He's totally invested, he's professional, and he's a really nice person. He's a nice guy."

"Super exciting for this team to choose a captain, and Radko is definitely fitting for the role," Killorn said. "The way he plays, his character, he's a guy that everyone looks to as the leader."

"He's got a lot of life experience," Killorn continued when asked about how he emerged as a natural leader. "He's played in a lot of different places; he's a father. He didn't try to do anything that was out of his realm. That's just who he is."

"I was so happy for him. I spent some time with him last season and got a chance to play with him at worlds," Dostal said with an ear-to-ear smile. "I’m just so happy for him. I always call him 'Dad.' He’s obviously not my dad, but I always joke, 'Hey Dad, what’s up?' Him being a captain for us shows his character. He has an amazing family, and they took me in right away. Last year, I was living with them for almost three weeks so we could get to know each other. He’s an amazing guy, and I’m so happy for him."

"He's the best guy ever," McTavish said of Gudas on Friday at training camp. "Great family, great leader, everybody was super pumped for him. We're all really excited for him, and I think he's the best choice."

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The Maple Leafs ended the Tampa dynasty

naming gudas as your captain is like the maple leafs announcing Jake McCabe as theirs.

Want to talk about embarassing?

Crazy how rent free Gudas still lives in all of Toronto. If he’d actually signed there, you’d all be buying his jersey.

Two of the first moves Zito made was to get Hornqvist and Gudas. Helped shaped the team into a Cup winner. Gudas is exactly the kind of guy you want on a young team and was clearly a leader on the Panthers. He’ll be a great captain.

Hate away, he certainly went from a most disliked player by me to an all time favorite.

Only thing missing from that Cup win was him getting his name on the Cup. Super happy for the Butcher. Almost as happy as watching all these posts go up.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1726953657613.jpeg

1726953691366.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad