Ducks name Radko Gudas captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Reminds me of Derek MacKenzie captaining the Panthers, or Bryce Salvador on the Devils.

Sometimes the young guys just aren't ready/proven to be leaders yet, and you need a veteran to rally around and guide the team.

I see why it raises some eyebrows since Gudas is an enforcer/goon/whatever you wanna call him, but I think it was the right choice personally. Plus, isn't he very well-liked in every locker room he's been in? Like yeah no shit the opponent isn't gonna like him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The ducks arent even the most promising rebuilding team in california

By the time ducks become good, gudas will be off the team and a young player will from the core will emerge as captain. Gudas is a doormat captain, just a placeholder

They're more likely to win a playoff round this year then the Leafs.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Seems like a Fowler trade is going to happen sooner than later cause why would you not name Fowler captain?
Because he never shows an ounce of emotion, skates away from scrums like he's going to catch a disease, and holds onto the puck behind his goalie's net during blowouts because he'd rather ride out the clock than try and score one for the fans even when the team's going to lose.

He has never been captain material. Pretty good player, but not a captain. Radko on the other hand already was the captain last season without wearing the C. We all expected Gudas to be the new captain this season, so this wasn't a surprise at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rec T

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Pretty sure we made Neidermeyer the captain shortly after his arrival.
That's different.

Before arriving in Anaheim, Niedermayer was already a future hall of fame, a Norris winner covered in individual and collective hardware, and he had worn the captain title on occasion in NJ. It made sense in that context, because of his aura and accomplishements.

Gudas is just one of the boys. I mean, I could see a guy like that growing organically into a captain after several years but in the current context, it just seems like the Ducks feel they have few legit leadership options on the roster.

Nor is someone like Fowler or Terry going to be the better option as a leader.
Yeah, that's what I said.

Gudas is not an awful choice, but he's not an optimal choice. I'm not saying it's a bad decision, though.

Reactions: Voight

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Different players of course no doubt. Regardless zero issues here naming Gudas captain. Slam dunk from Anaheim's perspective. He earned it. Not a high profile guy or upcoming superstar, just leads by example and is a good roll model off the ice.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
That's different.

Before arriving in Anaheim, Niedermayer was already a future hall of fame, a Norris winner covered in individual and collective hardware, and he had worn the captain title on occasion in NJ. It made sense in that context, because of his aura and accomplishements.

Gudas is just one of the boys. I mean, I could see a guy like that growing organically into a captain after several years but in the current context, it just seems like the Ducks feel they have few legit leadership options on the roster.
I think you're making too much of it, captains don't need to be grown organically like spinach. You just pick a guy who already does leaderly things, give him the C and tell him to keep doing what he's doing.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Lmao, how absolutely absurd. I guess it's a sign of the current times in Anaheim.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
he deserves it even if only for leading his hawkmen in support of flash gordon
7c0891af98db0e590d3df686097fe098.jpg

Reactions: To Be Determined

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Absolutely laughable captain choice
Why? The guy is a solid, hard working, tough nosed gritty veteran who has played for a lot of good teams and can bring the work ethic and culture from those teams - with the "hey, do you kids want to know how you have to play to win some games? This is how.". It could be very valuable for a young team.

Heavily disagree. John at least is a classy guy. Like naming Sean Avery your captain
Gudas isn't as dirty as Avery was. You don't have to be classy to be captain.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't get why people dunk on any player who gets picked as Captain. Doesn't matter if they're the best player on the team or a 4th liner, or if they are extroverted or "lead by example" types. if the team thinks they're fit for the role, who are we to judge as outsiders who aren't privy to what goes on in the locker room?

Reactions: MCB and WhatTheDuck

cc

Feb 28, 2002
His age and contract status would suggest his captaincy is short term but otherwise, a good choice. A highly competitive "team" player is the type of role model you'd want for your young players

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
His age and contract status would suggest his captaincy is short term but otherwise, a good choice. A highly competitive "team" player is the type of role model you'd want for your young players

A "transitional captain" is pretty ideal for where the team is at. This gives the young core a couple years to establish a pecking order and have someone step up and prove they are "the guy" moving forward.

The previous core was torn down in a full rebuild. There are only a couple veterans around with notable tenure in Anaheim (Fowler and Terry), both are great guys and total pros but at the same time just don't seem to have that personality to command a room.

Based on his experience, consistent hard nosed approach and strong presence, Gudas is an easy fit to be "the man" in the dressing room, while the top young players are still focusing on development. There's such a high number of young players who may end up taking the bull by the horns moving forward, no need to force anyone into the role early.

Gudas will have plenty of quality veteran help around as well. Killorn would have been another fine short term captain. Ryan Strome is a teammate of the highest of quality. Dumoulin/Fowler/Vatrano/Fabbri/Terry are experienced and good dudes from all accounts. Gudas is just clearly the most "alpha" personality out of those vets.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
As a Ducks fan, I love it.

He was the only one that could do it IMO. Terry/Fowler don't seem to fit the role and the rest of the guys are too young still. Happy to watch Gudas with the C for a few years

Ya, if anyone has offered alternatives I musta missed em, but to me it’s like when the Sabres didn’t have a dude, rotated it awkwardly for awhile, then it ended up on Steve Ott for a bit. Mockable choice, but Ott is an assistant coach now. He loved the game, took it seriously, and was a much better choice than rotating or forcing it on someone.

Like the move, Gudas seems to have matured and become much more likable (from an outside perspective).

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don't get the people suggesting that how long someone's been with the team, or how many points they score, should matter when picking a captain. It makes me wonder if many of you have even played hockey. You shouldn't pick leaders by points, tenure or salary. Leadership should be the only criteria.

Picking them by how much they make other team's soft hockey fans cry is a close second though!

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You do know he was previously a captain right?

Classy enough to eat up all that salary and get the team nowhere in 7 years. The ducks will do more under Gudas than the entire Tavares saga with the Laughs, not that it's a high bar.
Gudas has 2 years on his contract. I don't see the ducks making the playoffs in that time.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
He’s only in the league so we’d know what Taylor Hall would look like if he ever got fat and grew a beard

1726856670560.png

1726856747089.jpeg

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This thread is proof noone knows shit about the Ducks.

Like 90% of Ducks fans think this is a perfect choice. Main board is full of people making fun of it. And most of the Ducks fans that didn't want Gudas wanted Zegras just for the plot lol.

He is a perfect short term captain while their young guys just focus on getting better. In 2-3 years Leo/McT/Cutter/someone else will be ready to step into the role.
It's a Cali team in the basement for multiple years. Not sure why proof would be needed.

WRT to the thread, seems like a solid choice

This thread is proof noone knows shit about the Ducks.

Like 90% of Ducks fans think this is a perfect choice. Main board is full of people making fun of it. And most of the Ducks fans that didn't want Gudas wanted Zegras just for the plot lol.

He is a perfect short term captain while their young guys just focus on getting better. In 2-3 years Leo/McT/Cutter/someone else will be ready to step into the role.
It's a Cali team in the basement for multiple years. Not sure why proof would be needed.

WRT to the thread, seems like a solid choice

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Love it, other fan bases might not get it, but he does everything a captain should for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad