Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Oh, I don't know. Here are a couple of contenders.
View attachment 883642
View attachment 883639

This one gets an asterisk, because it is a throwback to a much earlier time
View attachment 883640

And then, the grand prize winner. This one was so bad, Mike Keenan forbid them from being worn on the game they were scheduled for . This makes the Blues reverse retro red sweaters look like gold.
View attachment 883641

Not to be outdone, if we expand our search beyond the NHL, the Memphis River Kings would like to have a word with us
View attachment 883643
Les Canadiens Sweaters looks like the Jersey for the Jail team...

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Les Canadiens Sweaters looks like the Jersey for the Jail team...
The inaugural Blue Jackets jerseys had a monopoly on the jailbird look.

Not sure how many ever noticed the subtle stripes that ran up and down those jerseys. They were more evident when you held them up to the light.
C56649E4-17B7-44AE-8733-442A8D533130.jpeg
8A2042FF-0079-4F1D-B75E-62B3348CAA2B.jpeg

Nationwide Arena was built on the grounds of the old Ohio Penitentiary, so it was an ironic design choice to add those stripes. Unless…that was on purpose.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Not sure if this was brought up. On those new Ducks jerseys, did anyone catch the numbering on the shoulder?

Is it me, or is there a black drop shadow on an orange number here? Is that the font for a 9? If it is, I kind of like that look!

2B0904E2-92DB-4E12-9FC9-97829304E511.jpeg

Kind of like drop shadow on Rangers lettering, but with highlights on the corners

Last edited:

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Not sure if this was brought up. On those new Ducks jerseys, did anyone catch the numbering on the shoulder?

Is it me, or is there a black drop shadow on an orange number here? Is that the font for a 9? If it is, I kind of like that look!

View attachment 884212

Kind of like drop shadow on Rangers lettering, but with highlights on the corners

Yep, that was rumored before. Another reason why this is real and not AI

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Sick, and not in a good way.

Orange is a straight up awful color in general. I don't mind it in doses but primary? Gross.

I also don't like orange on jerseys but as a primary colour it's arguably better than yet another black jersey.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As someone from NYC metro this means nothing to me.

I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I don't see what your geographic location has to do with colour of an Anaheim Ducks sweater.

It may mean nothing to you, but if your sports team is based in Orange County, there's a pretty natural connection to using the colour orange.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Would like to get a better look at it, but they desperately needed a re-design and this appears to be an improvement. Like others, it feels like a lot of orange to me... but taste is subjective.

Have they ever tried a combination of teal, orange, and white? Sort of marrying their old colours with the new ones? I think that would look pretty good, but can't really think of a visual comparable.

Edit: On that last thought... like an inverted Miami Dolphins jersey, or something. Teal for an accent or lettering.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I don't see what your geographic location has to do with colour of an Anaheim Ducks sweater.

It may mean nothing to you, but if your sports team is based in Orange County, there's a pretty natural connection to using the colour orange.
I think it's more that from both a design and business perspective, going back to the eggplant/teal would be a far better decision than picking a colour solely because it's in the same of the county. Instead they picked literally the same shade of orange as another team that just switched to that tone rather than picking a classic palette that would instantly be universally loved around the hockey community. It just feels like they're stubborn and don't have a very good grasp of what their fans actually want.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Yeah I dunno, not for me.

Avs going with more blue, Sharks going full teal, Ducks with orange everywhere, not sure I get the trend. I feel like these colors tend to, ironically, stand out more when they're broken up by some other darker colors or tones.

When every piece of equipment is just one big flashy color, its just overkill and makes it less special imo. It's like if the Kings went back to forum blue and gold but their away uniform was just gold, even the pants.

They'd look like giant bananas out there.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think it's more that from both a design and business perspective, going back to the eggplant/teal would be a far better decision than picking a colour solely because it's in the same of the county. Instead they picked literally the same shade of orange as another team that just switched to that tone rather than picking a classic palette that would instantly be universally loved around the hockey community. It just feels like they're stubborn and don't have a very good grasp of what their fans actually want.

I'm not sure what their fans want, or if they even have a consensus. Their franchise did win a Cup, and they did not win it in the original Mighty Ducks uniforms--though the uniforms they were wearing when they won it might've been the worst primary kits of the last 30 years. So I don't know where the nostalgia factor lies. Selanne tore it up in both blouses.

So it's whatever makes their fans happy. I think I can sort of understand a certain dynamic: it's a huge county and the rich suburbanites who keep NHL teams alive likely identify more with OC than the city of Anaheim itself. That all makes sense.

But at the same time, from afar, it just looks like ownership really trying to make orange happen like it's a weak pun. Like when your dumb friend comes up with a joke he thinks is the funniest thing ever and keeps repeating it and going "no but do you get it?" as if it isn't kind of obvious and unfunny. We get it, but every other sports team in history has been able to build its identity around something other than the name of the county they play in, so...OK.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You might find if you move behind the sector of fans that were ten years old in 1993, the original "Mighty Ducks" look is not at all "universally loved."

I think this new version is a lot better than the original sweaters.

Reactions: Weztex and cptjeff

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings must feel ashamed at this point

probably not actually, this org hates their fans so much, they would never leak the jersey until they're good and ready, which means probably unveiling it right when they trade Kaliyev for a 7th and re-sign Lewis to a 4 year deal

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You might find if you move behind the sector of fans that were ten years old in 1993, the original "Mighty Ducks" look is not at all "universally loved."

I think this new version is a lot better than the original sweaters.
I guess I thought it was the logo people loved (or much preferred to the webbed D) and viewed the old colours as better than the orange.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
7230511D-68D1-471C-9DF3-0399683D69AC.jpeg

Studying the photo that’s been going around with fresher eyes.

The home jerseys may not be entirely orange. I could be wrong, but In that screen grab, looks like the forearm is black and matches the bottom of the hem’s black. Would be good elements to anchor the bottom. The road whites look like they have orange forearms, too (the number 9 on the shoulder is against white fabric). So there’s probably a striping/piping pattern separating the forearms / shoulders.

Also, I dont know if it’s the lighting. But the duckmask’s eye color may be different on home (gold)vs away (orange). Could be a nod to their original MD uniforms having different color triangles on home vs away jerseys. 🤷🏻‍♂️
8AD65520-A1D6-4350-9BAD-7641AE093817.jpeg

Reactions: blundluntman

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Because they are based in Orange County?

Orange is a no-brainer colour for the Ducks.
it honestly feels like the ducks are trying too hard with the orange to make it work, it hasn't worked yet and from the looks of it they still got it wrong. The ducks have no identity and after this rebrand it looks like they still don't.

Its like the Buffalo sabres after the buffaslug jerseys the fans wanted a return to the royal blue go look and the team gave them slivers in 3rd jerseys and event jerseys even making a somewhat look a like for a few years but with extra piping and extra stripes. they finally gave in and went back and man what a difference it makes. Ducks could learn from it. It's clear the Ducks hate what the fans want.

Kings must feel ashamed at this point

probably not actually, this org hates their fans so much, they would never leak the jersey until they're good and ready, which means probably unveiling it right when they trade Kaliyev for a 7th and re-sign Lewis to a 4 year deal
or buy out PLD and re-sign him to a fresh 8 year deal

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
View attachment 884417
Studying the photo that’s been going around with fresher eyes.

The home jerseys may not be entirely orange. I could be wrong, but In that screen grab, looks like the forearm is black and matches the bottom of the hem’s black. Would be good elements to anchor the bottom. The road whites look like they have orange forearms, too (the number 9 on the shoulder is against white fabric). So there’s probably a striping/piping pattern separating the forearms / shoulders.

Also, I dont know if it’s the lighting. But the duckmask’s eye color may be different on home (gold)vs away (orange). Could be a nod to their original MD uniforms having different color triangles on home vs away jerseys. 🤷🏻‍♂️
View attachment 884419
I'll hold off on judgement until we see the full unveiling, but I think these are a massive improvement to what they have worn the past decade or so.

Roads will be reasonably close to the RR jerseys that I really liked:
1718821966968.png

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad