Confirmed with Link: Ducks claim James Reimer off waivers from the Sabres

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This is a better move than giving someone with no experience that no one else wants a shot.

We have our own hopes and dreams prospects to contend with without adding to it.

Plus we don’t play Boston until February and Gibson should be back by then.

John

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is Reimer better than the other waiver eligible goalies? Curious why we always go for these older guys... Reimer is 36, but guys like Patera, Shepard, Bussi are 25-28. This reminds me of Stalock who barely played last year.
Young guys are fighting to establish themselves and usually aren't happy with a very reduced role. Where as the old vet just wants a paycheck.

Reactions: cheesymc

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I will be honest, me thinking about Clang coming into a game gave me Timo Pielmeier level anxiety/PTSD. I would rather play Reimer than Clang 8 days a week!
For me it brings back Liro Tarkki ptsd where he got shelled so bad in his NHL debut he never played another NHL game.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
And lets be honest, Gibson will only be back a short time before he goes out hurt again.

Not a bad idaea to have another vet around.

This a weird take. In recent years Gibson has not been particularly injury prone and an appendectomy is not exactly a reflection of being injury prone. Lots of reasons a person could criticize Gibson's play or attitude; being injury plagued is not one.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
This a weird take. In recent years Gibson has not been particularly injury prone and an appendectomy is not exactly a reflection of being injury prone. Lots of reasons a person could criticize Gibson's play or attitude; being injury plagued is not one.

There are a lot of injuries listed in his career. On the flip side, he seems to play around 50 games most years so maybe the injuries aren’t that bad? I guess I’m arguing both sides lol. I just know he misses some time, even a little, most seasons due to injury.

And as far as attitude, that’s just conjecture by us or are their actual reports of him having a bad attitude? Or is it just us professional body language interpreters doing our thing? He does look a little bit like an asshole most of the time though lol.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Young guys are fighting to establish themselves and usually aren't happy with a very reduced role. Where as the old vet just wants a paycheck.

In this situation, I don’t really agree. Young promising goalies don’t usually get waived. They might get traded if they have value.

Not so promising ones get waived to get sent to the AHL if they clear.

As far as older goalies just wanting to get a paycheck, I don’t see that as much, most seem to have this level of pride. But it depends on the individual.

I see a Craig Anderson or Brian Elliott as examples of goalies that played well as they aged and didn’t just mail it in.

Now older veteran Dmen are another subject. A lot will pace themselves and not fully engage in contact if it can be avoided. I think Gudas is more the exception.

John

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
For me it brings back Liro Tarkki ptsd where he got shelled so bad in his NHL debut he never played another NHL game.
Just for fun, I went back to see who did worse. Both got shelled so bad in their debut that neither played again in the NHL.

Tarkki: Games MIN G/A GAA Wins Saves Sav%
2011-12Anaheim DucksNHL100413004.4110070.700
Pielmeier:
2010-11Anaheim DucksNHL100405007.5070.583

Those were dark times in Ducks goaltending history, this was the" Hiller getting vertigo" years if I remember correctly.

Anyways, I feared this for Calle too.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

There are a lot of injuries listed in his career. On the flip side, he seems to play around 50 games most years so maybe the injuries aren’t that bad? I guess I’m arguing both sides lol. I just know he misses some time, even a little, most seasons due to injury.

And as far as attitude, that’s just conjecture by us or are their actual reports of him having a bad attitude? Or is it just us professional body language interpreters doing our thing? He does look a little bit like an asshole most of the time though lol.
None of us know his attitude or exactly how to interpret his body language. I can understand why some people are critical of that . . . though personally I'm not too hung up on it.

But I think there is more justification to that assertion (or perhaps speculation) than suggesting he's injury prone. That was the point I was making.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just for fun, I went back to see who did worse. Both got shelled so bad in their debut that neither played again in the NHL.

Tarkki: Games MIN G/A GAA Wins Saves Sav%
2011-12Anaheim DucksNHL100413004.4110070.700
Pielmeier:
2010-11Anaheim DucksNHL100405007.5070.583

Those were dark times in Ducks goaltending history, this was the" Hiller getting vertigo" years if I remember correctly.

Anyways, I feared this for Calle too.
Wow I didn't realize Pielmier was worse, I remember some saying Tarkki was a good prospect and another euro UFA gem like Hiller but then that game happened.

The dark ages. 2011 playoffs they were using Dan Ellis and former enemy from 2007 Ray Emery as Anaheims goalies while Nashville had Rinne. It was so sad what happened to Ray Emery, glad he at least got a cup with Chicago. 2011 playoffs were so frustrating losing to a Nashville team that had two 3rd lines and two 4th lines.
Then there was the Victor Fasth era and the Ducks traded him for a pick which ended up being selling high on him.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I will be honest, me thinking about Clang coming into a game gave me Timo Pielmeier level anxiety/PTSD. I would rather play Reimer than Clang 8 days a week!
Ha, I remember there being calls here for him to get games (I was probably one of them too :laugh:) because McElhinney had been pretty woeful. He then came in against St Louis maybe? and got smoked. Legitimately one of the worst goaltending displays I've seen from a Ducks goaltender.

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
Ha, I remember there being calls here for him to get games (I was probably one of them too :laugh:) because McElhinney had been pretty woeful. He then came in against St Louis maybe? and got smoked. Legitimately one of the worst goaltending displays I've seen from a Ducks goaltender.
For all the good goaltending we've had as a franchise, the Hiller vertigo era may be darkest I can remember

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't know why I remember this, but there was one game I was at where McElhinney was playing against the Caps, and almost every shot went in. We were scoring goals left and right, and he literally couldn't stop anything. I think Alex Semin had a hat trick for god's sake. The Pielmeier disaster might have come shortly after that.

Reactions: mightyquack

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't know why I remember this, but there was one game I was at where McElhinney was playing against the Caps, and almost every shot went in. We were scoring goals left and right, and he literally couldn't stop anything. I think Alex Semin had a hat trick for god's sake. The Pielmeier disaster might have come shortly after that.
Pielmeier and McElhinney were the same game. St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad