Duck? no, Rabbit? no, it’s Penguins Golf (Off) season!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've watched this goal literally hundreds of times and I don't know that I ever actually noticed before that this was 1) shorthanded and more importanly, 2) the PK is Geno, Hossa, Gonch, and Whitney.

Like...what the blue hell?

Therrien used Malkin on the PK sparingly that year. I think people forget Malkin fashioned his game after Fedorov. He probably could've been a much more competent defensive player if Bylsma ever utilized him as such.

Whitney always played the PK as did Hossa throughout his career.

Once they brought in Gill the PK dropped for Whitney though.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Therrien used Malkin on the PK sparingly that year. I think people forget Malkin fashioned his game after Fedorov. He probably could've been a much more competent defensive player if Bylsma ever utilized him as such.

Whitney always played the PK as did Hossa throughout his career.

Oh I agree it just seems hilarious in hindsight. Hossa was a beast on the pk. Sarge too, still unabashedly one of my favorite all time Penguins.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Oh I agree it just seems hilarious in hindsight. Hossa was a beast on the pk. Sarge too, still unabashedly one of my favorite all time Penguins.

It's weird how so many of us love Gonchar, but when you actually look at it he had like maybe two years of good performance here.

I think it just had to do with how fun those back to back teams were and the promise the 06-07 team had.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
It's weird how so many of us love Gonchar, but when you actually look at it he had like maybe two years of good performance here.

I think it just had to do with how fun those back to back teams were and the promise the 06-07 team had.

Perhaps true but besmirch not my rosey memories embroidered with hearts and flowers floating around a man moonwalking the blue line with the puck.

I think some part of it has to do with the inevitable comparisons to Letang and the gap between Gonch and he when it comes to true powerplay quarterbackery. I am far from a Letang hater but he's not even in the same cosmos when it comes to that aspect of the game. Gonchar was so damn good at it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Perhaps true but besmirch not my rosey memories embroidered with hearts and flowers floating around a man moonwalking the blue line with the puck.

I think some part of it has to do with the inevitable comparisons to Letang and the gap between Gonch and he when it comes to true powerplay quarterbackery. I am far from a Letang hater but he's not even in the same cosmos when it comes to that aspect of the game. Gonchar was so damn good at it.

Yeah.

Gonchar can't hold a candle to Letang's 5v5 game though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin played a lot of PK in Russia and was known as an all-around forward. The NHL coaches decided otherwise. Malkin has always done best when given trust and responsibility. Though I mean... he's like... 40, now. So not really worth thinking about.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I always figured it was that most NHL coaches don't want their super skilled guys on a PK and getting hit by pucks in the ankle.

Rather give up a PPG than your top scorer.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I always figured it was that most NHL coaches don't want their super skilled guys on a PK and getting hit by pucks in the ankle.

Rather give up a PPG than your top scorer.

I think that's part of it which has always struck me as kind of stupid. Especially as this whole idea of an overaggresive "power kill" becomes kind of vogue it will be interesting to see if it changes.

The all-time leader in SH goals is Gretzky. Most in 1 season is Mario.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I get the idea that you want to do your best to mitigate injuries to your top guys and Malkin certainly has Thin Bones™ but I dunno... interesting to think of another path that could have been. Like pixies said... Malkin was a big fan of Feds and took pride in his two way game coming up in Russia. And having a giant guy who can score at will bearing down on you (who usually leads the league or close to it many years in takeaways) while you are on the powerplay is gonna make a lot of guys grip their sticks too tight and make dumb mistakes. Again... far too late now, of course.

EDIT: Great as Malkin's career has been... I truly think they could have gotten even more out of him.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah I get the idea that you want to do your best to mitigate injuries to your top guys and Malkin certainly has Thin Bones™ but I dunno... interesting to think of another path that could have been. Like pixies said... Malkin was a big fan of Feds and took pride in his two way game coming up in Russia. And having a giant guy who can score at will bearing down on you (who usually leads the league or close to it many years in takeaways) while you are on the powerplay is gonna make a lot of guys grip their sticks too tight and make dumb mistakes. Again... far too late now, of course.

EDIT: Great as Malkin's career has been... I truly think they could have gotten even more out of him.

If Malkin would have been given PK duties, he could have easily been viewed as another Datsuyk. When Geno was at his best, he had flashes of Mario where he just could not be stopped. Geno's defensive game was severely underrated outside of Pitt

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
In amongst his Sid contract update and Geno retirement update, Rossi reported the Penguins are in the process of hiring a replacement for Steve Mears to do the team's radio broadcasts. Josh Getzoff will be back on TV, Phil Bourque will be doing more TV, and Colby Armstrong and Mike Rupp will continue to work both TV and radio.

NESN - owned by FSG - just hired Jack Edwards' replacement for the Bruins.

They went with experience and familiarity, bringing over the radio voice Judd Sirott.

So, I don't expect them to cheap out for the radio broadcast.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What’s Phil up to these days?

1723706437455.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium