Dubois

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Do it! Buy him out at 1/3 if possible. Bad trade. Terrible signing without him playing a single game. Normally it would all be a fire-able offense, but if Bluc did it, it'd give them a hard pass. Do it!!! :kings2

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
You know I was with you on using the buyout because Richards had seriously declined and the length/numbers left on the contract obviously didn't make sense.

That said, all we do know for sure is that they won with him and it took seven games in the first three rounds. Since those series went seven, things like fighting Couture at the end of Game 6 where Couture broke his hand and then, most importantly, digging in at the end of Game 1 in Anaheim to get the primary assist on Gaborik's game-tying goal in the dying seconds become even more important.

This doesn't take into account the intangibles, which are a huge part of the Richards "mystique" to begin with. Of course, intangibles are something that aren't valued as much by some posters with the following poster being one of those based on his view of the Tkachuk/Doughty incident and his belief that the Kings would have won the Cups anyways with Schenn in place of Richards.

Over a 26 game run, there are going to be moments for everyone. Had the Kings made a run this year there would have been moments for any of the whipping boys (PLD, Lewis, Lizotte etc.), but overall it was bad. Every single person that MR played with that season saw their GA/60 go up and their GF/60 go down playing with him vs. levels they were with any other teammate, that is a sign of a player who just can no longer play at that level and is dragging down teammates. It effected Carter's offense and just destroyed Clifford and Lewis where that line looked like an AHL line when they played together. I hated how Clifford was often overused, but he was a very good fourth liner, as was Lewis, but they were towing an anchor those playoffs, and it showed in their metrics.

The expectation from the entire hockey world was the Kings were going to write him a big check to go away, that didn't happen, but a couple of months later he was in the minors. There is no way he was fine in those playoffs and a couple of months later was being paid $6m to play in the AHL.

Next season, of all the cap hit and money spent, the cash sent to Mike Richards is the only dollars that mean one single goddamn thing to any real Kings fan.

Big Dick Rick costs $4.4M between now and July 2032. Less than one year of QB’s next contract. Far less overall than the money flushed down the toilet to Petersen, Kovalchuk, Dion, et. al.

What are we even talking about when bringing up a Richards as a failure of the previous regime in order to lessen the criticism of the current one.

I don't think anyone is trying to minimize the huge mistakes made by Blake. There are only about 2-3 people on this forum still standing strong with Blake, and maybe 2-3 more who aren't completely off the wagon, everyone else wants to see Blake hit the unemployment line.

But it's a comparable situation, you have a player still in his prime, owed a boatload of money for a long time coming off a season where he was pitiful on the ice, levels nowhere close to where they had performed for their entire careers. 10 years ago a very poor decision was made to not buyout MR, a decision that the Kings are still paying for to this day. If PLD is going down the same path, where he is an AHL caliber player going forward, it would be a huge mistake to not buy him out, but if he returns to previous levels (he's still slightly overpaid) but it would be a huge mistake to give away a 2C for nothing and take on huge cap penalties down the road. That is what the Kings have to/had to weigh before making this decision.

My belief is that no buyout is even being considered. Blake knows he's up against it (although we all stupidly thought this last year), if it's worst case scenario and PLD goes from 2014 Richards to 2015 Richards and is an AHL player this season, it very likely means that Blake is fired, and the huge PLD disaster is passed on to the next GM. Blake is going to gamble that he returns to previous levels, because that is probably the only way Blake saves his job.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
everyone else wants to see Blake hit the unemployment line.
group_torches_pitchforks_lg_wm.gif

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
My belief is that no buyout is even being considered. Blake knows he's up against it (although we all stupidly thought this last year), if it's worst case scenario and PLD goes from 2014 Richards to 2015 Richards and is an AHL player this season, it very likely means that Blake is fired, and the huge PLD disaster is passed on to the next GM. Blake is going to gamble that he returns to previous levels, because that is probably the only way Blake saves his job.
Completely agree. A buyout is effectively game over for Blake. He will stand or fall based on PLD.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Completely agree. A buyout is effectively game over for Blake. He will stand or fall based on PLD.
Man how depressing is it that a defensively mediocre $8.5 million power play merchant hitting the 60 point mark will not only be considered a win but a big enough win for Blake to keep his job.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Man how depressing is it that a defensively mediocre $8.5 million power play merchant hitting the 60 point mark will not only be considered a win but a big enough win for Blake to keep his job.
That's the reality of this situation though. The Kings are stuck in the black hole for the foreseeable future. They just don't have the assets to make any big trades, and they don't have the cap space to compete with the other big guns in the league.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A lot of time has passed, but I believe your point on this was that simply keeping Simmonds and Schenn would have led to the Cups regardless. You're still bringing up Simmonds--and I wish he would have been a King his entire career--but I thought you believed the Kings would have still won with Schenn--at his young age--being in the lineup over Richards. If that is true, it does kind of take a shit on Richards.

I think part of the struggles of the 2012 regular season was a group of young guys struggling with having actual expectations. Richards was actually playing well until the Bergenheim concussion so he was pulling his weight.

I love Simmonds, but they seemed to have some concerns about him and Doughty together. If we want to get into the hypotheticals of what happens and doesn't if the trade doesn't take place, we can toss in the potential of off-ice issues for #8.
No, I believe the Kings needed a second line center in order to contend.

I did say Simmonds was probably a better offensive player than Richards at the time of the trade, and because the Kings needed scoring so bad, losing Wayne cancelled out a significant portion of what Mike brought in. That's part of the reason the team didn't improve after the trade.

It’s time to put down the keyboard for a while, John.
I appreciate your concern for my well being. I knew I shouldn't have clicked "post reply" but I gave into the temptation to troll. I'll have to bring this up in my next therapy session.

Based on what?
Winning hockey games.

Everyone on the 2012 credits Richards for inspiring the team and getting them "to flip the switch"
Whether he did or didn't, players would give the same answer. It means nothing, and there'd be no way of knowing anyways.

Richards and Williams did do a great job of inspiring the Capitals to their Stanley Cup victory in 15/16. You got me there.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The games are all on YouTube, Herby. Richards was strong against San Jose (far and away the best King in game 7 of that series) strong against Anaheim and made several key plays in the Final. The only series in which he wasn't effective was Chicago.

Nowhere near the "worst" player, not even remotely close.
Guess what player had the worst plus / minus on the entire team?

2014 Playoffs:
Player+/-
Justin Williams
13​
Tanner Pearson
10​
Willie Mitchell
10​
Anže Kopitar
9​
Dustin Brown
7​
Marián Gáborík
6​
Tyler Toffoli
6​
Jake Muzzin
6​
Jarret Stoll
6​
Jeff Carter
5​
Dwight King
5​
Matt Greene
5​
Slava Voynov
4​
Drew Doughty
2​
Alec Martinez
1​
Robyn Regehr
0​
Jeff Schultz
-1​
Kyle Clifford
-2​
Jordan Nolan
-3​
Trevor Lewis
-6​
Mike Richards

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Well, hopefully it’s not the only consideration but if PLD does what he did this season he will be in trouble.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

2014 Playoffs:
Player+/-
Justin Williams
13​
Tanner Pearson
10​
Willie Mitchell
10​
Anže Kopitar
9​
Dustin Brown
7​
Marián Gáborík
6​
Tyler Toffoli
6​
Jake Muzzin
6​
Jarret Stoll
6​
Jeff Carter
5​
Dwight King
5​
Matt Greene
5​
Slava Voynov
4​
Drew Doughty
2​
Alec Martinez
1​
Robyn Regehr
0​
Jeff Schultz
-1​
Kyle Clifford
-2​
Jordan Nolan
-3​
Trevor Lewis
-6​
Mike Richards
I’d agree Richards was a shadow of his best self by 2014 but +/- in this context proves nothing. The name above his proves that, with the defensively excellent Lewis also -6.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
No, I believe the Kings needed a second line center in order to contend.

I did say Simmonds was probably a better offensive player than Richards at the time of the trade, and because the Kings needed scoring so bad, losing Wayne cancelled out a significant portion of what Mike brought in. That's part of the reason the team didn't improve after the trade.

I appreciate your concern for my well being. I knew I shouldn't have clicked "post reply" but I gave into the temptation to troll. I'll have to bring this up in my next therapy session.

Winning hockey games.

Whether he did or didn't, players would give the same answer. It means nothing, and there'd be no way of knowing anyways.

Richards and Williams did do a great job of inspiring the Capitals to their Stanley Cup victory in 15/16. You got me there.

Just use some of that social intelligence you tell us about.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

2014 Playoffs:
Player+/-
Justin Williams
13​
Tanner Pearson
10​
Willie Mitchell
10​
Anže Kopitar
9​
Dustin Brown
7​
Marián Gáborík
6​
Tyler Toffoli
6​
Jake Muzzin
6​
Jarret Stoll
6​
Jeff Carter
5​
Dwight King
5​
Matt Greene
5​
Slava Voynov
4​
Drew Doughty
2​
Alec Martinez
1​
Robyn Regehr
0​
Jeff Schultz
-1​
Kyle Clifford
-2​
Jordan Nolan
-3​
Trevor Lewis
-6​
Mike Richards
Trevor Lewis?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I’d agree Richards was a shadow of his best self by 2014 but +/- in this context proves nothing. The name above his proves that, with the defensively excellent Lewis also -6.

+/- is not the only metric that showed a replacement level player. Every single person who played that year with Richards saw their GA/60 get significantly worse, as well as their offensive numbers. Any player Richards played with possessed the puck less and spent more time in the defensive zone than they did with other players. We all agree that Lewis was a solid defensive player before and after that, the reason his +/- was tied for worst on the team was simply because he spent more time with Richards in those playoffs than anyone else did.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Based on what?
I don't agree with the original position at all...but to answer your question...pretty much everything. They were out of the playoffs at that point in the season and went from an 84 point pace to a 102 point pace. They were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league after Sutter took over after not being able to score more than 2 goals a game up to that point. Sutter got them to play better and Carter couldn't have been a better fit for the team at that particular point in time. That's not a coincidence.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
did richards go to rehab?
did he move to columbia?
did he start an import/export business with stoll?
i heard he's consulting for the kings front office.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

2014 Playoffs:
Player+/-
Justin Williams
13​
Tanner Pearson
10​
Willie Mitchell
10​
Anže Kopitar
9​
Dustin Brown
7​
Marián Gáborík
6​
Tyler Toffoli
6​
Jake Muzzin
6​
Jarret Stoll
6​
Jeff Carter
5​
Dwight King
5​
Matt Greene
5​
Slava Voynov
4​
Drew Doughty
2​
Alec Martinez
1​
Robyn Regehr
0​
Jeff Schultz
-1​
Kyle Clifford
-2​
Jordan Nolan
-3​
Trevor Lewis
-6​
Mike Richards
2012 Richard and 2014 Richards were completely different players . Richard was never the same after that hit in the 2013 playoffs. i am pretty sure it was Bolland

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think Richards said he splits time between his place on Lake of the Woods and Florida. I think the guy might love fishing more than I do, although I think my girlfriend would argue that's an impossibility.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I'll bet mr. Mike richards never caught a 202lb yellowfin tuna like i did on the f/v excel out of san diego. Caught at the hurricane bank 400n mi ssw of cabo ssn lucas bcs mexico

Drops microphone.
Also i am NOT art vandelay- the above is more real than the irs

Reactions: Herby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad