Dubas details his 'biggest mistake' as Leafs GM in new book

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The dude straight up wasted the best collection of young Leaf talent assembling together at once since the implementation of the NHL Draft. His legacy is one of complete and abject failure. One Playoff Series win. Mind-boggling, and now the further we go away from his Leafs tenure, the less any eventual turning around in the postseason (if that even does happen) could be attributed to him. This decision will haunt him and forever be his ultimate legacy as the Leafs GM.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
neither does play off hockey

Yea, like when the bigger idiot hired him.
I think the funniest belief by blokes here is that a GM is just running around doing a bunch of shit without anyone looking over the moves. To make a deal, there's so many parties involved.

There's the finance side, the president's take, the hockey ops' take, etc. It runs down the chain. The initial idea may be the GM's, but many parties agree to these moves because for one - The GM sits down with the Coach and the Hockey Ops and Team President each season and hashes out a plan, when they're all on the same page, they make moves.

It's not as if these tossers are going full rogue and have this insane autonomy. They never have. Unless you're one of those rare few GM's that are basically all 3 hats for a team in upper management and you're basically just answering to the owner at that point, in which case those teams are usually more f***ed than others.

When things fail - the coach gets the axe or the gm. They're the fall guys because they fought for a vision and the other agreed to their vision and how it was presented, then it failed. But in the end, the others could have stated that it wouldn't be a good idea and didn't and get to keep their job. In Dubas' case, Shanahan is the bigger idiot and always has been.

Dubas being stupid now is purely based on his 100% allegiance to Mike Sullivan and his demented vision that hasn't paid off in 8yrs. In a sense, Dubas has become Shanahan.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Don't, most of us have seen the team win five Cups. If you're going to feel bad for us, feel bad for us for having to deal with Toronto fans constantly bitching about Dubas since his arrival in Pittsburgh. Stalkers get arrested with less of an obsession.
seems like the media whore Dubas is missing the bright lights that comes with being the Leafs GM since there wouldn't be a thread if he just worried about running the Pens and not gone seeking attention by being interviewed for a book about his time here in Toronto

I guess it can't be easy when the Steelers waterboy gets more coverage than being the Pres/Gm of the penguins

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not criticizing you individually, but your second sentence about “any time you can do whatever you take it” is really indicative of the shallowness of Dubas style management. He is always full of those little dumb maxims for people who don’t know what they’re doing.

One important thing for a successful general manager is to be nimble on their feet in changing situations. If you’re constantly walking into scenarios with these “any time this happens you have to do the next thing” is just a recipe for disaster because you become a slave to your own rigid “no brainer” thought process.

In the case of Tavares, it was definitely a big fish most teams would have landed.
And also the maxim of "pay your core and figure the rest out later".

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
His grandfather coached them in the 60's. 30 years before Lukenda bought the team so Esposito wouldn't move them. There's zero connections there. As far as whether or not being from SSM helped him? Why wouldn't it? It's laughable you think that shouldn't somehow. He grew up around the team. Do you have any idea who the other candidates were? Hint. No one you've heard of
There is literally a huge connection. How many kids in canada has a grandfather who used to coach the team they want to work for?

Reactions: nturn06

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think the funniest belief by blokes here is that a GM is just running around doing a bunch of shit without anyone looking over the moves. To make a deal, there's so many parties involved.

There's the finance side, the president's take, the hockey ops' take, etc. It runs down the chain. The initial idea may be the GM's, but many parties agree to these moves because for one - The GM sits down with the Coach and the Hockey Ops and Team President each season and hashes out a plan, when they're all on the same page, they make moves.

It's not as if these tossers are going full rogue and have this insane autonomy. They never have. Unless you're one of those rare few GM's that are basically all 3 hats for a team in upper management and you're basically just answering to the owner at that point, in which case those teams are usually more f***ed than others.

When things fail - the coach gets the axe or the gm. They're the fall guys because they fought for a vision and the other agreed to their vision and how it was presented, then it failed. But in the end, the others could have stated that it wouldn't be a good idea and didn't and get to keep their job. In Dubas' case, Shanahan is the bigger idiot and always has been.

Dubas being stupid now is purely based on his 100% allegiance to Mike Sullivan and his demented vision that hasn't paid off in 8yrs. In a sense, Dubas has become Shanahan.
Sounds like you used to think like the blokes you are pointing at.....and now think you are enlightening some if board.
I as well as all my hockey buddies have never been unaware that the GM is not the be all, end all of every move and decision that go on in running a team.
But thanks for explaining at length how it works all the same.
Although I'm pretty sure everyone who follow the NHL is well aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samhockey3

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
you can sing from the rooftops all day long "NEPOBABY" if you want, but he was successful everywhere except the NHL (hint hint, so are a lot of people the NHL isn't easy to win in)

I don't care for Toronto and I have no opinion on the penguins but being a nepobaby isn't a mark on Dubas. He had the chops to back it up until the NHL and his career isn't over yet. Saying hes a nepobaby isn't valid criticism beyond letting us know his family had connections, it bares nothing on him today.

That's another lie people tell. He was successful only in the AHL where MLSE vastly outspends everyone. He is a nepobaby politician.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's another lie people tell. He was successful only in the AHL where MLSE vastly outspends everyone. He is a nepobaby politician.
i'll add that the GM of the minor league team has the players supplied to him by the parent club , no idea where people got the idea that the minor league GM builds a team

Dubas does only one thing well and that's self promotion .

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If I recall, he could have had Matthews at something like 8 years 12M after year 2 of his ELC but waited, then Matthews went on a tear and it became 5 years instead of 8M.

Leafs were one of the teams most screwed by COVID. Every team build has a flow to it. Even with the Matthews and Marner contracts being high, the Leafs missed out on the 3 year window where those contracts should have aged nicely under what would have been an 88-100 million cap ceiling. Instead, they were stuck with the cap in the low 80s.

I'm not sure if I can think of another team cap wise who was at a worse point to have to deal with the flat cap.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If I recall, he could have had Matthews at something like 8 years 12M after year 2 of his ELC but waited, then Matthews went on a tear and it became 5 years instead of 8M.

Leafs were one of the teams most screwed by COVID. Every team build has a flow to it. Even with the Matthews and Marner contracts being high, the Leafs missed out on the 3 year window where those contracts should have aged nicely under what would have been an 88-100 million cap ceiling. Instead, they were stuck with the cap in the low 80s.

I'm not sure if I can think of another team cap wise who was at a worse point to have to deal with the flat cap.
The never ending bottomless well of Maple Leaf excuses never runs dry.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
i'll add that the GM of the minor league team has the players supplied to him by the parent club , no idea where people got the idea that the minor league GM builds a team

Dubas does only one thing well and that's self promotion .

True. It makes sense that the Marlies fell off a cliff once the weasel took over the Leafs.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The dude straight up wasted the best collection of young Leaf talent assembling together at once since the implementation of the NHL Draft. His legacy is one of complete and abject failure. One Playoff Series win. Mind-boggling, and now the further we go away from his Leafs tenure, the less any eventual turning around in the postseason (if that even does happen) could be attributed to him. This decision will haunt him and forever be his ultimate legacy as the Leafs GM.
Ha! Remember in 2017 when they lost to a good caps team in six hard fought games. They had Lou, Lemaire, Hunter, leading front office. Matthews the new wonder kid , number of other high first round picks on the roster. They were going to be a force. Then .....SPLAT ! Nada. Zilch. They were better in 2017 one year after tanking ..... than they are now. Thank Dubas and Shanahan for that .

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He's basically saying his biggest mistake being a GM was he didn't know how to be a GM.

That's not a mistake dude. That's incompetence.

Reactions: nturn06 and Nfumass

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Tbh every Leafs fan was super obnoxious as well, when he signed Tavares. And everyone was warning them he wouldn’t live up to the contract, AND it would set the bar too high for their upcoming RFAs

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No troll , why can't 4ppg players with a decent team around them win more than 1 round??
Like its nice to say Dubas overpaid everybody but the leafs had a shot in every single one of the series where they got slapped around and they still got slapped around. At what point is it as much on the players as it is on the GM. You can talk about team construction and yadda yadda if AM34 or Mitch score a goal here or there the entire narrative is different

AM34 has a disappearing act every post season but focus on Dubas Keefe and Mitch!

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
No troll , why can't 4ppg players with a decent team around them win more than 1 round??
Like its nice to say Dubas overpaid everybody but the leafs had a shot in every single one of the series where they got slapped around and they still got slapped around. At what point is it as much on the players as it is on the GM. You can talk about team construction and yadda yadda if AM34 or Mitch score a goal here or there the entire narrative is different

AM34 has a disappearing act every post season but focus on Dubas Keefe and Mitch!
Because nobody wants to hurt any of the players feelings or admit they aren’t as good of players as the fans and media hype them up to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad