Dubas calls signing Marner signing Marner "priority one"; "imperative" it happens before July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Inconvenient truth along with the truth that Marner is their best player and it is highly unlikely that they will get into a pissing match with him.

Marner is unquestionably among their best players. I think what defines best is too subjective to really meaningfully debate. I can see arguments for Matthews, I can see arguments for Marner, so that is all kind of a non-issue to me personally. I don't really care who people see as better than the other.

I also 100% do not expect us to get into a pissing match with Marner. I expect it'll be done before July 1st, without much issue, and Marner will be extremely well paid.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Like I said much earlier this was worst kept secret around the Leafs. Paul told everyone he talked to. This was widely circulated. And Kyper reported it very very late. He only did that because it was all verbal so he took a bit of a risk. Paul talking to his friends. Unless someone taped his conversations no one else would know.

Problem is there's no way to substantiate any of what you have just written. So this goes on being an unprovable talking point.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Maybe go back last summer to your own numbers, revisionism much?

Matter of fact, go look at every thread here last year and tell me what you find. Cheers.

Did you go back and search my numbers.

I don't remember every saying Matthews would get less then 11. I actually brought up many times that he won't be paid less then Tavares.

Nylander I never thought would sign for less then 6.5 min.

Not sure where you got the numbers from.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Nylander at 6.9 playing with Matthews all season next season will prove to be a bargain. I will say it here first, Nylander will eclipse 70 points next season. His deal will turn into a bargain. And Matthews will eclipse 50 goals and 100 pts next season playing with him.

This being said, Marner will never score 30 goals let alone 50. Yes he will get his assists but this league is goal driven and Marner should not eclipse more then 9.5 million per season. A contract comparable to Kucherov seems fair.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not even considering the fact that money now is worth more than money later: signing bonus taxes depends on their principal residence. For Matthews, he took a lot in bonuses because the tax rate in Arizona is lower than the effective tax rate would be in Toronto. I'm not sure about nylander, but it could also be the case.

If Marner's principal residence is in Toronto, a signing bonus heavy contract will not give him a tax advantage. It could even be a disadvantage because it would all be taxed at a high rate, whereas salary is taxed based on game location. The average tax rate over a season will be lower than the tax rate in some places like Toronto.

I appreciate the effort but it would be extremely hard to argue they have a principal residence outside of Toronto.

They spend the bulk of their time here. For tax purposes. Both CRA and IRS would see that over 50% of their time is in Canada and Toronto is close to their place of employment.

Point about money up front is valid... if they invest it properly.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I literally never said numbers weren't exchanged, but that does not make Kypreos' "report" of 8x9m accurate.
They are separate things altogether.
Kipper reported what Paul Marner told him. Same as he knew about the riff between Babs and Mathews parents talk to him. He was very vocal about Babs not playing Mitch and him and Paul Marner talked a lot.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Just like with the “no tax states”, it’s difficult to find how it specifically works and get to the ACTUAL money saved by such tax benefits. There’s that article recently that said that Stone only saved $75k a year by playing in a city with no state tax. $75k a year? So why do Tampa players sign for millions less per year?

Similarly, I can’t find a specific break down of tax benefits in signing bonuses. This article says that signing bonuses offer tax breaks that “vary by state and province”.
How signing bonuses impact Senators' chances of keeping Duchene, Stone - Sportsnet.ca

Regardless, it is INDISPUTABLE that a heavily front loaded contract paid in signing bonuses is of a MAJOR financial advantage for a player. Do you deny this?

If not, why aren’t we seeing any cap relief from Dubas’ contracts?

Again, I’m not dancing with you on whether Dubas did a good job. I don’t think you and I are far apart on that issue.

I am taking issue with the notion that Tampa players were good lads and took less actual money to play there.

This is false. Their net money is the same as an equivalent 10.5M salary.

They did not sacrifice any net money to play there and win.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Nylander at 6.9 playing with Matthews all season next season will prove to be a bargain. I will say it here first, Nylander will eclipse 70 points next season. His deal will turn into a bargain. And Matthews will eclipse 50 goals and 100 pts next season playing with him.

This being said, Marner will never score 30 goals let alone 50. Yes he will get his assists but this league is goal driven and Marner should not eclipse more then 9.5 million per season. A contract comparable to Kucherov seems fair.

Agree Completely and the 180s on here will be insane. :scared:

However I think Marner gets 10, based on the cap inflation and Kucherov contract being a very good deal for the Lightning.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He was number 16 or something in league points.

Only 1 player who finished above him (McDavid) in points makes 11. Why would he make 11 ?
You want me to relitigate the reasons? Maybe you should look at 5x5 p/60 rankings. Maybe primary points. Maybe you should explain performance differences between Matthew's and Marner and justify why there should be a 2mm+ differential.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You want me to relitigate the reasons? Maybe you should look at 5x5 p/60 rankings. Maybe primary points. Maybe you should explain performance differences between Matthew's and Marner and justify why there should be a 2mm+ differential.

Never mentioned a 2 mil differential.

Marner likely gets 10, but 11 seems ridiculous.

There are obviously stats both ways and comparables both ways.

Matthews has more goals per game over his career so far then every player in the league other then Ovi.

Matthews played all season with 2 guys who don't create much opportunities for him, Marner played with one of the best goal scoring centers in the league.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Just like with the “no tax states”, it’s difficult to find how it specifically works and get to the ACTUAL money saved by such tax benefits. There’s that article recently that said that Stone only saved $75k a year by playing in a city with no state tax. $75k a year? So why do Tampa players sign for millions less per year?

Similarly, I can’t find a specific break down of tax benefits in signing bonuses. This article says that signing bonuses offer tax breaks that “vary by state and province”.
How signing bonuses impact Senators' chances of keeping Duchene, Stone - Sportsnet.ca

Regardless, it is INDISPUTABLE that a heavily front loaded contract paid in signing bonuses is of a MAJOR financial advantage for a player. Do you deny this?

If not, why aren’t we seeing any cap relief from Dubas’ contracts?

That sounds like utter horseshit. That linked article made no such claims. Where's this article?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He was number 16 or something in league points.

Only 1 player who finished above him (McDavid) in points makes 11. Why would he make 11 ?

JT his teammate and linemate makes $11 mil and finished below him in points.

Same with Matthews who now will make $11.634 mil and finished with less points.

I was predicting last summer that both Matthews and Marner will use JT contract to get their new deals because it will act as a magnet to set the Leafs internal pay scale. Matthews coming in above JT (as best player) and Marner close but perhaps a little below allowing for the fact they're centres.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Did you go back and search my numbers.

I don't remember every saying Matthews would get less then 11. I actually brought up many times that he won't be paid less then Tavares.

Nylander I never thought would sign for less then 6.5 min.

Not sure where you got the numbers from.
And we conveniently leave out all important term again....

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So, Paul Marner claims to everyone who can hear that things have gone down that paints his camp in a positive light.

You have:
- A parent well known for being a pain.
- Who paints a picture of his son getting treated unfairly every time he opens his mouth.
- Telling a tale that makes the opposing camp look bad.
- Pushes that narrative every single chance he gets.

There's a pretty good reason to be skeptical about this.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Ontario income tax rates in 2019 (link): 13.16% over $220,000
Federal and Ontario income tax rates in 2019 (same link): 53.53% for non-investment type of income

U.S. federal income tax is in the vicinity of 37%. I know there are details missing here but it's plain as day that Florida offers advantages from the tax man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad