Speculation: Drysdale's value been proved still good? Why Barron's value perceived as so low according to a lot of people?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really don't understand the general contempt towards Justin Barron.

He's a 22 year old 6'2" 200 pds RHD that skates well and have a good shot.

He's had stretches of good games followed by stretches of bad ones, just like a lot of youngsters his age do.

With him it's more a matter of confidence than tools, because he has all the tools to have a long NHL career.

But everybody seems to write him down, even if he already have close to a 100 games at just 22.

At the beginning of last season, he was forming the Habs best defensemen pair with Guhle. Both being under 23 yo.

Then he kind of lost confidence.

He was then sent to Laval, but it was more a case of MTL having tons of young guys at the blue line and them alternating the ones being hot at a given moment.

If MTL didn't have that much alternatives in their system, Barron would've stayed in the NHL. Because he has the tools to be an NHL regular.

Is he perfect?

No, he's not that physical nor has he the sharper defensive awareness.

But at the end of the day, he reminds me of Petry: a tall, athletic and RHS defenseman with a little less than a 1000 games, and a few 40 pts seasons, in the NHL.

So AFAIC, Barron's value is like Drysdale's = he's +/- worth his former draft pick: a late 1st (Gauthier, like Drysdale, was worth an early first at the time of the trade).

Both being 2020 draft, both still unproven but valuable because of their combination of position/shooting side/talent.

So, contrary to a lot of HFboarders, I don't buy the "Barron's worth shit" narrative.

As NHL GMs aren't HFboarders... young Centers/RHD, particularly big ones drafted in the 1st rd, are assets that tend to keep their value in the NHL.
Injuries has pushed back Barron development. He's 22 but played as much as 20 year old. He has size, wheels and hands. He's scored 12 goals in 94 NHL games. Those pretty decent numbers. It's his defense side and hockey sense which need work.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I really don't understand the general contempt towards Justin Barron.

He's a 22 year old 6'2" 200 pds RHD that skates well and have a good shot.

He's had stretches of good games followed by stretches of bad ones, just like a lot of youngsters his age do.

Why was drysdake drafted at and he drafted at 25. Huge difference to start?

He started NHL at 18. Injures has occurred.
Barron got traded and has split time in AHL/NHL.

Usually 2st rounders dhou ln d be full time nhl plsyerd by end of yr 4 of ELzc. Barrkn doesnt have that yet.

Next year he has to go through waivers and you dont know what he will be. If he still had exemption another team might kick the tires. Its hard to fo that at the nhl

With him it's more a matter of confidence than tools, because he has all the tools to have a long NHL career.

But everybody seems to write him down, even if he already have close to a 100 games at just 22.

At the beginning of last season, he was forming the Habs best defensemen pair with Guhle. Both being under 23 yo.

Then he kind of lost confidence.

Or Guhle carried him....
He was then sent to Laval, but it was more a case of MTL having tons of young guys at the blue line and them alternating the ones being hot at a given moment.

If MTL didn't have that much alternatives in their system, Barron would've stayed in the NHL. Because he has the tools to be an NHL regular.

Is he perfect?

No, he's not that physical nor has he the sharper defensive awareness.

But at the end of the day, he reminds me of Petry: a tall, athletic and RHS defenseman with a little less than a 1000 games, and a few 40 pts seasons, in the NHL.

So AFAIC, Barron's value is like Drysdale's = he's +/- worth his former draft pick: a late 1st (Gauthier, like Drysdale, was worth an early first at the time of the trade).

Both being 2020 draft, both still unproven but valuable because of their combination of position/shooting side/talent.

So, contrary to a lot of HFboarders, I don't buy the "Barron's worth shit" narrative.

As NHL GMs aren't HFboarders... young Centers/RHD, particularly big ones drafted in the 1st rd, are assets that tend to keep their value in the NHL.

They lose value quickly when the waiver exemption ends.

Then it becomes who is best for the team now and not wait 40 games.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I agree, my assumption wasn't "Barron's value is equal to Drysdale's" but "if Drysdale's value is the same as when he was drafted even if he never really proved anything at the NHL level, why does Barron's value should have diminished since he's been drafted?"

I mean, neither of them have had an incredible season since being drafted, Drysdale played a little more games but their pt/gms ratio is about the same, both were drafted in 2020.

So logically, Barron should be worth +/- the 25th pick he was drafted with.

No?

It's not like Barron never played a game in the NHL or was clearly a disappointment. He's been good and he's been bad, but he's young and we can see the untapped potential.

It's not like he's 25, he's 22 and he's a defenseman (takes longer to fully develop).
As a 19 year old, Drysdale had a 32 point season and looked like he belonged in the NHL. Barron hasn’t even had 32 points in his entire career yet. Big difference.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
barron.jpg

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Newhook was really starting to look good the last 20 games or so...
Newhook was already a player for a while when we traded him and I have hope he can be something in Montreal. (My wife is a Montreal fan, so I low-key root for their success).

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Newhook was really starting to look good the last 20 games or so...
Maybe, i’ll take your word for it but that would worry me even more that he is better when team is out of it.

3 years in low 30s. This is what he is.

While getting more than 3 mins of pp time per game.

I would not hope for 50.

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Maybe, i’ll take your word for it but that would worry me even more that he is better when team is out of it.

3 years in low 30s. This is what he is.

While getting more than 3 mins of pp time per game.

I would not hope for 50.
No it's not what he is.

He just had 34 points in 55 games.

That's a 51 point pace.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
lmao Drysdale is ******* trash. Doesn't make Barron a great piece but fans need to stop being delusional. Drysdale can't defend to save his life and gets obliterated at 5v5.
Idiots at Elite prospects disagree: « He's the only defenceman in this year's draft with clear No. 1 defenceman upside »

Top pair dman (?) Guhle drafted same year, obviously later.

32 pts at 18 yrs for the Ducks, pretty decent.

Offensive dman? Yes. Crease-clearing? No.

Healthy he is a top 4 on any team.

Barron cant make the Habs and has yet to get 16 pts. And talk about being weak at defending…

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Idiots at Elite prospects disagree: « He's the only defenceman in this year's draft with clear No. 1 defenceman upside »

Top pair dman (?) Guhle drafted same year, obviously later.

32 pts at 18 yrs for the Ducks, pretty decent.

Offensive dman? Yes. Crease-clearing? No.

Healthy he is a top 4 on any team.

Barron cant make the Habs and has yet to get 16 pts. And talk about being weak at defending…
LMAO what?

In the past three years Drysdale has 68 GF and 111 GA while on the ice at 5v5 while getting good deployment (O-zone starts). He made every single player he played with on the Ducks worse with him than without him. He's terrible. Doesn't score at a good rate and makes every line he plays against look like McDavid and Draisaitl.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not a fan of either.
Both have upside , but both are soft. Not the playoffs type of defenseman.

However I can of get what the OP means. While Barron isn't expected to return the moon , he's shown flash of top 4 defending and is viewed as waiver material (no value) around here. While Drysdale recently returned a good prospect in Gauthier. I think GMs around the league value a big mobile defender with a decent shot eve tho he's a bit soft/inconsistent. Rangers also got a late first for Lundqvist, a very similar situation to Barron....

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Not a fan of either.
Both have upside , but both are soft. Not the playoffs type of defenseman.

However I can of get what the OP means. While Barron isn't expected to return the moon , he's shown flash of top 4 defending and is viewed as waiver material (no value) around here. While Drysdale recently returned a good prospect in Gauthier. I think GMs around the league value a big mobile defender with a decent shot eve tho he's a bit soft/inconsistent. Rangers also got a late first for Lundqvist, a very similar situation to Barron....
I appreciate the Lundqvist comp.
But different circumstances: « Around three days ago, it was revealed that Lundkvist had requested a trade from the New York Rangers, and had informed the team he wouldn't be attending training camp ».

Lets say Barron does he same, what do you expect back? A first?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
We'll just get him for free on waivers dont need to pay anything to Montreal
Hughes has shown with Primeau he wont lose a good young player to Waivers.

Habs will keep

Matheson-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard
Harris-Barron
Kovacevic

And send down Hutson Reinbacher Struble Mailloux because the are waiver exempt

Kovacevic and Savard will be traded next year at the TDL for good assets. And then we'll reassess

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad