Value of: Drew O’Connor

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What’s his value now or at the TDL?

925K cap hit. Pending UFA just turned 26 (will be 27 next June).

Good size, skating. Big time hustler. Offensive ability is likely best suited for 3rd line duty.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can see him being viewed as this year's version of Hagel, albeit a lesser version of it. At the same time, I'm not exactly sure why the Penguins would want to move him. Seems like the kind of guy they should be keeping.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
2nd + 5th. He'd be a great bottom 6 addition for a contender. Hopefully Dubas will re-sign him and he breaks out to a consistent 20 goal 40 point winger.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His value to the Pens is way more than his name recognition on this forum is going to be.

He's already shown to be an effective middle six forward and he’s got size and some upside. Combine with his cheap contract and upward, late-bloomer trajectory and you are veering hard into “it’s gonna take way more than you think” to acquire him territory.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
2nd + 5th. He'd be a great bottom 6 addition for a contender. Hopefully Dubas will re-sign him and he breaks out to a consistent 20 goal 40 point winger.

Blake Malenstyn is another big-bodied late bloomer and he got a 2nd. DOC has similar universal appeal but has more offensive upside. I’d think the difference would be more than an additional 5th.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
First off, I think he's the exact type of player that Dubas is wanting and will 100% keep him. That said, if he starts the year on Sid's LW and scores at a decent pace, he may have a value similar to that of Blake Coleman at the TDL.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Not at that cost. That's Ross Colton trade assets (almost)
I see DC as similar without the ceiling.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
First off, I think he's the exact type of player that Dubas is wanting and will 100% keep him. That said, if he starts the year on Sid's LW and scores at a decent pace, he may have a value similar to that of Blake Coleman at the TDL.
Coleman had an extra year on his contract and was an overall more impactful player. Half of a season of O’Connor Isn’t going to get you near the same level of return.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not at that cost. That's Ross Colton trade assets (almost)
I see DC as similar without the ceiling.

Colton was traded in the offseason, I was thinking more of DOC being traded at the deadline. How much of Tampa trading Colton was for salary reasons?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Coleman had an extra year on his contract and was an overall more impactful player. Half of a season of O’Connor Isn’t going to get you near the same level of return.
If he pots 20 goals he will. He's on a $925k deal as it is. Adding him at the TDL would take nothing.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
As a Sens fan I feel like this is what we need but sadly we don't have much to trade so I find it hard to even make an offer for players but like from the Sens I'd offer a 1st and 2nd but I'm not even sure what picks we have anymore lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As a Sens fan I feel like this is what we need but sadly we don't have much to trade so I find it hard to even make an offer for players but like from the Sens I'd offer a 1st and 2nd but I'm not even sure what picks we have anymore lol
I think we would likely take a 1st and 2nd for DOC.

We might also be interested in Shane Pinto it, ya know, you were interested in a 1:1 swap.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
If he pots 20 goals he will. He's on a $925k deal as it is. Adding him at the TDL would take nothing.
You're talking about a rental bottom 6 winger. Chris Tanev, a proven elite defensive defenseman with 75% retention went for less than Blake Coleman. Teams aren't paying high prices for rentals in general, let alone players that aren't impact pieces.

Reactions: dgibb10

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're talking about a rental bottom 6 winger. Chris Tanev, a proven elite defensive defenseman with 75% retention went for less than Blake Coleman. Teams aren't paying high prices for rentals in general, let alone players that aren't impact pieces.

I think the big advantage here is DOC costs 950k.

That's largely where his value is coming from. If he's a 20 - 20 guy next year, I imagine the Penguins can pull a 1st round pick for him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Colton was traded in the offseason, I was thinking more of DOC being traded at the deadline. How much of Tampa trading Colton was for salary reasons?
for sure it was because he'd outpriced himself in TBL.

This past year, NYRs got Jack Roslovic from Columbus @ the deadline. A RHS Center (prime position)
Blue Jackets got: Conditional 2024 fourth-round pick, becomes third if Rangers make Stanley Cup Final, retain 50% of Roslovic's salary.

Brandon Duhaime got a third, not as proficient as DOC but similar. A 2nd if its a bit crazy TDL is highest but a third plus something I think.
I'll pick him up at Newark airport, send him!

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I think the big advantage here is DOC costs 950k.

That's largely where his value is coming from. If he's a 20 - 20 guy next year, I imagine the Penguins can pull a 1st round pick for him.
Chris Tanev with retention cost $1.125M which is less than a $200K difference and is a much more impactful player and didn't bring back a 1st round pick. Artturi Lehkonen with retention was $1.15M who was a much more impactful player with an RFA year left when traded didn't bring back a 1st round pick. Rental players don't have much value at the Trade deadline, especially bottom 6 wingers.

Reactions: dgibb10

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He is the EXACT player I want if I’m the Sabres.

Then again, Pens and Sabres are my two teams and I’ve always been a believer in Drew O’Connor. I still think he has the potential to pop more offensively in the coming years.

If I’m BUF, I offer either a top 10 protected 1st in 2025, or a 2nd + one of any non-NHL prospect not named Ostlund/Kulich/Helenius/Levi (such as Novikov, Johnson, Wahlberg, Rosen, Poltapov, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad