Dreger: Edmonton has offered Ken Holland another position within the Organization. Not part of drafting in Vegas though.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton loves them some Ken Holland.
Eh, I think it's a *wink* here's this role you don't want *wink* I don't want that role situation. He wants to retire if he's not going to be GM, Edmonton doesn't want to move forward with him as GM, everyone gets to save face.

They might have offered him just POHO or a "Special Advisory" role but Edmonton needs a fresh outlook in the GM role. One that Bobby Burgers has zero input in hiring.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Eh, I think it's a *wink* here's this role you don't want *wink* I don't want that role situation. He wants to retire if he's not going to be GM, Edmonton doesn't want to move forward with him as GM, everyone gets to save face.

They might have offered him just POHO or a "Special Advisory" role but Edmonton needs a fresh outlook in the GM role. One that Bobby Burgers has zero input in hiring.

The problem is , All these OLD BOYS CLUB people have their hand in the cookie jar whether they are GM or not as long as they are hired in the organization.

Why should Edmonton be concerned about saving Holland's face when he cost the Oilers a ton of Mcdavids prime years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is , All these OLD BOYS CLUB people have their hand in the cookie jar whether they are GM or not as long as they are hired in the organization.

Why should Edmonton be concerned about saving Holland's face when he cost the Oilers a ton of Mcdavids prime years.
They shouldn't be, but the Oilers have a ton of respect for legacy and the perception is that the Oilers were one step away from a Cup under Holland's tenure when the truth is they were one step away from a cup *in spite* of Holland.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is the move I wanted for the Oilers all year. I don’t want him as GM but I don’t want to lose his connections or any chance that he some semblance of wisdom when it comes to hockey.

The best move for the Oilers would be to keep everything Holland brings, while supplementing his weaknesses with someone younger, smarter, more forward thinking.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
They shouldn't be, but the Oilers have a ton of respect for legacy and the perception is that the Oilers were one step away from a Cup under Holland's tenure when the truth is they were one step away from a cup *in spite* of Holland.

I guess im out of touch, i didnt think there are many people who credits Holland for their cup run. If anything, I think Holland prevented Mcdavid from having multiple cups by now...

-Nurse contract is probably the worst in NHL
-5mil Goalie in the AHL
- Refusing to go all in during McDrai years.
- Below par drafting history with Edmonton
- How many coaches have been fired under his watch?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess im out of touch, i didnt think there are many people who credits Holland for their cup run. If anything, I think Holland prevented Mcdavid from having multiple cups by now...

-5mil Goalie in the AHL
Holland took over GM in 2019. Given the draft classes, only really expect the 2019, 2020 classes to have contributed the past season.
Biggest drafting error was passing on Wallstedt in 2021. Wouldn't help during the McDRai 2nd contracts, but if they signed a 3rd, he would be expected to be the top G then.

Clearly missed on his moves. Nurse, no loyalty, paid top dollar to keep a home grown player...

Campbell, when the organization fails to develop their own goalie, the UFA market (Markstrom passed on Edm) and they scramble to find someone.

Being GM in Edm is no easy task. Edm is top 3 in NTC destinations... So, always limited in who you can acquire via trade and free agency. But, that's the job of the GM. Have to be a really good draft and develop team, which they are not.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Ken Holland is a great hockey man, who yes, I agree the game has passed by a bit, but he's still has a very large body of work and success before recently. I want him back in Detroit as an advisor to Yzerman, regardless of some bad decisions with Detroit at the end.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Everyone knows the oilers need a more dynamic GM. A win would have been a nice send off for him. But he is done. He wasted too many high picks in his time in Edmonton and the shelf is not too full of prospects that will be legit NHLERS.

The question is... who will the new GM of the oilers?

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Holland took over GM in 2019. Given the draft classes, only really expect the 2019, 2020 classes to have contributed the past season.
Biggest drafting error was passing on Wallstedt in 2021. Wouldn't help during the McDRai 2nd contracts, but if they signed a 3rd, he would be expected to be the top G then.

Clearly missed on his moves. Nurse, no loyalty, paid top dollar to keep a home grown player...

Campbell, when the organization fails to develop their own goalie, the UFA market (Markstrom passed on Edm) and they scramble to find someone.

Being GM in Edm is no easy task. Edm is top 3 in NTC destinations... So, always limited in who you can acquire via trade and free agency. But, that's the job of the GM. Have to be a really good draft and develop team, which they are not.
He was terrible at drafting in Detroit too.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

-5mil Goalie in the AHL
There’s negatives in the Holland tenure sure, but it’s balanced out by one of the best UFA signings of all time and one of the best trades of all time.

I’d also argue that the story about Hollands drafting record is becoming outdated. Broberg and Holloway proved to be players in these playoffs, those were Holland picks.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Everyone knows the oilers need a more dynamic GM. A win would have been a nice send off for him. But he is done. He wasted too many high picks in his time in Edmonton and the shelf is not too full of prospects that will be legit NHLERS.

The question is... who will the new GM of the oilers?
He didn’t waste that many high picks.

Broberg is going to be a legit top 4D for decade. Already able to handle playoff minutes and was the best defenceman in the AHL this year.

Holloway showed he could play top 6 and score in big games.

A first and Shaeffer were traded for Ekholm.

So essentially he’s like 4 for 4 for getting value out of his first round picks. Actually 4 for 5 if you include Bourgault who does look like a miss but he was a late first rounder, but his story isn’t over, there’s still a chance he could be player.

• Haha
Reactions: Bounces R Way

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I would have rather let Nurse walk than give him that deal. Said so at the time too. He got paid on a shooting percentage bender in the Canadian division. I'll never forgive you, Marcus Hogberg.

• Love
Reactions: Frank Drebin

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I would have rather let Nurse walk than give him that deal. Said so at the time too. He got paid on a shooting percentage bender in the Canadian division. I'll never forgive you, Marcus Hogberg.

McDavid is good bros with Nurse, it was a dream to think he would walk...McDavid helped get a few contracts for his buds on the Oil.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00