Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Sam Reinhart signs extension with the Panthers (8 years, $8.625M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How convenient that you did not respond to my comment about Yzerman in Detroit. Everyone considered him a good GM in Tampa, similar to how Zito is viewed in Florida. What happened, there must be a reason why Yzerman is no longer able to sign contracts below market value in Detroit.

Didnt see that comment and comparing living in Detroit or Tampa. Seriously ?

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Today they say... "WAAAAAH taxes Florida is cheating..."
They used to say... "HHAHAHA Florida has to over pay to get any players because they stink"

What everyone should say....

"I would like to congratulate the Florida Panthers for winning the Stanley Cup. It's great to see the underdog team overcome the challenges of hockey mediocrity. It took strong ownership and a dedicated group in hockey operations to turn this team around. Good for them; they are a shining example for the rest of the league to emulate."

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow...hometown discount. Good for both parties. Reinhart will be a wealthy man, but his lack of greed allows his team to stay more competitive during his tenure with them. Must like the beach, and not be worried about rising sea levels.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Please tell me about all the Cups and playoff runs Toronto had when there was no cap. I'm waiting
Last time they made the finals or won the cup there was 2 rounds in the entire tournament :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

edit : Look at their last cup run , can't make this up :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Screenshot_2024-07-01-10-59-45-225_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
There is no advantage there that no other team can do. They may choose not to. But they are allowed to structure contracts with SB. In fact. Tampa/florida don
The Leafs financial resources give them access to the ability do things that other teams can't afford to.

I just think that the CBA wasn't put in place to ensure perfect competitive balance. They left some things out (coaching staff salaries, scouting, etc.) because the system is already complex enough.
This guy would be 36 during the final year of this deal.

I say "would", because he will be bought out of this awful contract before he reaches that.
Do you think that teams would be stupid for giving Stamkos a 2 year deal now? Will there be some fall off in Reinhart's play late in the deal? Sure. But if the Panthers are legit contenders for the next 5 years, and with the cap going up, why would you say this is an "awful" deal? Just a really strange take IMO.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is a steal in comparison to the Nylander overpayment 11.5 deal. Fits the Florida cap structure and team friendly deal allow Florida room to add support players. Florida fans will love Sam for this.
We do, but this is what happens when you build a a good salary structure. Barkov is the real hero taking 10 when he could have been stubborn and gotten more.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
How about the advantage of the Leafs being able to pay ~$40M worth of bonuses today? I could definitely be wrong, but I thought that AM get some preferential tax treatment on the signing bonus payouts because of his residence?

You worry about the stuff that you can control IMO.

Yes, Matthew’s took the taxes into consideration, with Arizona being his primary residence, which allows him to have a tax break on his earnings. So there are loopholes in everything, but people want to complain about Tampa and Florida now.

How about you play some hard ball with your star players and try to sign them to team friendly deals, instead of letting them get whatever they want. Barkov set the bar, and no player will get more than him. That is how it works in Florida.

Reactions: bossram

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I too, like to just deny objective reality.
Today they say... "WAAAAAH taxes Florida is cheating..."
They used to say... "HHAHAHA Florida has to over pay to get any players because they stink"

What everyone should say....

"I would like to congratulate the Florida Panthers for winning the Stanley Cup. It's great to see the underdog team overcome the challenges of hockey mediocrity. It took strong ownership and a dedicated group in hockey operations to turn this team around. Good for them; they are a shining example for the rest of the league to emulate."

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
I too, like to just deny objective reality.
By that you mean that players want to play for Florida because it gives them a realistic chance at a championship, and take less money to do that because the team captain has demonstrated through action what it takes to build a winning team culture.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Yes, Matthew’s took the taxes into consideration, with Arizona being his primary residence, which allows him to have a tax break on his earnings. So there are loopholes in everything, but people want to complain about Tampa and Florida now.

How about you play some hard ball with your star players and try to sign them to team friendly deals, instead of letting them get whatever they want. Barkov set the bar, and no player will get more than him. That is how it works in Florida.
100% agree with this. The Leafs gave Matthew's a bunch of stuff he already gets other benefits from (90% of salary paid up front as bonus, bonus being exempt from state taxes, etc), so his $13.5m is probably the equivalent of $15m for someone else. That is because the Leafs just give thase benefits to players without getting a reduction in AAV because Dubas was terrible at negotiations.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
By that you mean that players want to play for Florida because it gives them a realistic chance at a championship, and take less money to do that because the team captain has demonstrated through action what it takes to build a winning team culture.
Or you know, they simply managed to keep a 10+M player for cheap because of the Gary sunbelt tax-break.
But yeah we'll go with the whole winning culture thing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean, the no state income tax is objectively an advantage. It just is no matter how many cry face emojis you can put into your counter argument. Is it the reason Tampa, Vegas, and Florida won their cups? No, that's ridiculous. But it didn't hurt either. Nashville, yet another no state income tax team, just had a great day in FA. Both the crying about it and the crying about the crying about it sure does get tiresome on this website though.

I dunno if this is really the big discount some are looking at it as either. Seems reasonable. Guy just scored the SC winning goal in South Florida, not sure I'd be looking for greener pastures than that either in his position. 8.625 million a year ain't f***ing free either.

Like Huberdeau?

Dunno if I would characterize a player who's signature move appears to be the no look spinning backhand directly to the other team as having great hockey IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad