dem

Mar 17, 2002
What did he do off the ice ?

leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers.gif

Reactions: NeverForget06

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think he's staying but they're gonna have to bring out the Brinks truck. He already did them a favor on the last contract.
I wouldn't say he did them a favor. When he signed his contract it was an overpay in the hopes he would live up to it.

That he outperformed it isn't him doing the team a favor. He got a massive deal after his ELC.

Reactions: MikeK

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
NHL superstars don’t dictate the outcome of a game like how nfl QB’s or MLB starting pitchers or NBA superstars do. Teams that win cups have good depth and really really good defence core and team defence.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'll go against the grain of most Oiler fans and say the team should seriously look at dealing him. He's got a lot of miles on his frame and his best days are inching closer and closer to being behind him.
While I get what you are saying I disagree and for these reasons.

1. They have a year left on his contract and went to game 7 in the SC finals with him hurt they are still in that window.

2. Any return they get probably doesn't put them in a better position for a SC run.

3. Edmonton is at a huge disadvantage attracting FA's so there is an extra emphasis for them to retain and perhaps overpay their own FA, Nurse being the prime example, maybe RNH as well.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think either way, there is a less than 10% chance McDavid is an Oiler after the summer of 2026.

Draisaitl might stay tho if they back up the brinks truck (13+M).

Iggys Dome

Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
You hope, bro. You're hoping.

I'm trying to be objective. I'm a Flames fan, I get it. I don't want him to stay in Edmonton, that's gonna cloud my judgement.

But look at it this way: why would he stay? What does Edmonton have to offer that quite literally 31 other teams can’t? Sure, they can offer him an 8th year I guess, is that gonna sway things?

Weather? Taxes? Livability? Team Success? Competent ownership/hockey ops? What does Edmonton have that other teams don't?

My opinion wouldn’t change even if he won the cup this year, this guy is gonna jet. This isn't the 80's anymore.

It boils down to this: the Oilers have utterly failed to surround and supplement him with enough talent to make Edmonton a consistent contender. This cup run was way too late in his current contract, he should have had one or two of these already. You can bring up Ovechkin, Yzerman all you want, McDavid is not like them.

I'd wager 30% of Oiler fans don't expect him to stay either. I've seen enough discourse from the fanbase that they half expect him to walk and wouldn't blame him if he did.

EDIT: You can bookmark my post and come back to it if he re-signs in Edmonton, I'll willingly eat crow.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I'm trying to be objective. I'm a Flames fan, I get it. I don't want him to stay in Edmonton, that's gonna cloud my judgement.

But look at it this way: why would he stay? What does Edmonton have to offer that quite literally 31 other teams can’t? Sure, they can offer him an 8th year I guess, is that gonna sway things?

Weather? Taxes? Livability? Team Success? Competent ownership/hockey ops? What does Edmonton have that other teams don't?

My opinion wouldn’t change even if he won the cup this year, this guy is gonna jet. This isn't the 80's anymore.

It boils down to this: the Oilers have utterly failed to surround and supplement him with enough talent to make Edmonton a consistent contender. This cup run was way too late in his current contract, he should have had one or two of these already. You can bring up Ovechkin, Yzerman all you want, McDavid is not like them.

I'd wager 30% of Oiler fans don't expect him to stay either. I've seen enough discourse from the fanbase that they half expect him to walk and wouldn't blame him if he did.

EDIT: You can bookmark my post and come back to it if he re-signs in Edmonton, I'll willingly eat crow.
He's staying buddy. The best building and facility in the league, one of the best owners in the league in terms of supporting his players, exceptional fan support, relationships with management and staff, local connections and his wife has built a business here, a chance to win. If Draisaitl signs you can safley bet McDavid will follow suit. His agent who knows him the best out of anybody decided to take the job to run the organization. Gotta think he understands where the players head was at before taking that job.

All insiders close to the team have indicated it is over 90% chance both McDrai are here long term.

The Oilers have lost to the last 3 cup champions and have won 29 playoff games in the last 3 years. More than every other Canadian team combined. To say they aren't a contender is laughable. What team that is a true contender will just have 15M open up to fit him in? He wants to win, he just came within 1 goal of winning the ultimate prize. Worry about your own laughing stock, i look forward to you eating crow based on your own inkling.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Well, I still say he will leave at a 99% chance rate.
The only chance for him to stay is that other teams are not willing to pay him anymore, after seeing the abolsute shitsow he put up in the last 2 rounds of the playoff.
On the other hand, the Oilers must have realized in those two rounds that keeping him at a high price tag would absolutely be insane.
He will either accept a salary below market value and join Boston, or he will go to some desperate irrelevant team that his willing to throw money at him to get a big name.
Imagine avoiding signing a superstar centre because his production took a dip after breaking a rib. Dude was dominant when healthy this postseason. I hope he and McDavid take discounts to try and build a cup winning team, but would gladly take Drai back at market value.

Reactions: Duke74 and 5 14 6 1

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Alright HFboard psychologists, what do we read into this quote? I feel like you can read it both ways

He will be in Edmonton long term. All those close to the team have indicated as much very clearly.

Well, I still say he will leave at a 99% chance rate.
The only chance for him to stay is that other teams are not willing to pay him anymore, after seeing the abolsute shitsow he put up in the last 2 rounds of the playoff.
On the other hand, the Oilers must have realized in those two rounds that keeping him at a high price tag would absolutely be insane.
He will either accept a salary below market value and join Boston, or he will go to some desperate irrelevant team that his willing to throw money at him to get a big name.
This is hilarious man, you know nothing about hockey. He played the last two rounds with a broken finger and broken ribs. Historic playoff performer otherwise.

Iggys Dome

Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
He's staying buddy. The best building and facility in the league, one of the best owners in the league in terms of supporting his players, exceptional fan support, relationships with management and staff, local connections and his wife has built a business here, a chance to win. If Draisaitl signs you can safley bet McDavid will follow suit. His agent who knows him the best out of anybody decided to take the job to run the organization. Gotta think he understands where the players head was at before taking that job.

All insiders close to the team have indicated it is over 90% chance both McDrai are here long term.

The Oilers have lost to the last 3 cup champions and have won 29 playoff games in the last 3 years. More than every other Canadian team combined. To say they aren't a contender is laughable. What team that is a true contender will just have 15M open up to fit him in? He wants to win, he just came within 1 goal of winning the ultimate prize. Worry about your own laughing stock, i look forward to you eating crow based on your own inkling.

This is conjecture on both of our parts, but let's be reality: you're hoping against hope he stays. No one, and I mean no one knows what's going on inside his head except him.

Edmonton management has to play their cards quite literally perfectly over the next two years. They cannot afford to f*** this up a third time if Holland leaves.

McDavid owes nothing to the city or organization. A lottery ball put him there. 31 other teams would move the moon and sun to make cap space for him.

Take heed from a Flames fan who experienced this two years ago: it doesn't mean shit what insiders, or even players say about their intentions to stay. It only matters when the ink is dried on the dotted line.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This is conjecture on both of our parts, but let's be reality: you're hoping against hope he stays. No one, and I mean no one knows what's going on inside his head except him.

Edmonton management has to play their cards quite literally perfectly over the next two years. They cannot afford to f*** this up a third time if Holland leaves.

McDavid owes nothing to the city or organization. A lottery ball put him there. 31 other teams would move the moon and sun to make cap space for him.

Take heed from a Flames fan who experienced this two years ago: it doesn't mean shit what insiders, or even players say about their intentions to stay. It only matters when the ink is dried on the dotted line.
I guess we will see :) I do remember McDavid ending the Flames franchise in 2022

But yeah, I'm sure that his previous agent of his entire career had zero clue what he was thinking prior to accepting the job of CEO of hockey operations for the organization. The man he trusted with his entire career up to that point.

It sounds to me you like you are just saying a typical flames fan prayer really

Last edited:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think he's staying but they're gonna have to bring out the Brinks truck. He already did them a favor on the last contract.
I don't know about did them a favor last time to be honest. At the time it was considered quite high for him. However he did only get better much better after signing it and becoming a steal of a deal for them. I hope he re-signs as enjoy watching McDrai but moving forward how do you build a team around them if they are both the two highest paid players in league? Which I truly believe they will be after both sign their next deals.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton

Gaudreau wanted to say as per Blake Coleman, sounds like the ball just got fumbled. I kind of had a feeling things would go awry with the upcoming UFAs in Calgary back then with Sutter at the helm.

We'll see how things go in Edmonton, I think Draisaitl and McDavid would like to play together

Future GM definitely has their work cut out for them and is going to have to make some very tough decisions in the near future, will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds

Also I dont know why any of you guys in here interact with crying Marchand guy, dude has been up to this schtick for years now.

HF has way too many zoomers these days :laugh:

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
didnt he and connor say they will stay in Edmonton? if so, let it be. quite frankly I would love Mcdavid to stay in the pacific division.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
This is a guy that is broken...knows that his team will never win anything but is ok with repeating the process because he has given up on continuing to try.

Like a relationship that has taken its toll on both unhappy participants...they grudgingly stay together without as much drama because they can't fight anymore...but they can't find the energy to hope anymore either. They will play their parts with minimal push back until it just ends.

• Haha
Reactions: Markham30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad