GDT: Draft thread Day 2 - 11AM

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hope we don’t trade our 1st. This organization needs to start taking a future without the core 4 more seriously.

We could just trade the core 4 for picks and really start taking it more seriously.

We have a good pool for where we have been drafting and relative to other contenders (don't care if people don't think we are a contender).

It'll be nice to use the 28th pick on someone, but would also be fine moving it in the right deal.

Our core is also pretty young.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not in a contention window. Anything goes.

Nature of doing business when you are a top 5 team.

You do whatever you can to get over the hump. Otherwise, you sold out your fanbase.
I'd normally be in agreement with this. However, the relative dearth of picks overall is what gives me pause.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
FRAPPE TIME ON GREEK ISLANDS!!!

DO NOT DISTURB!!!
Screenshot_20230619-143235.png

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
When was the last time the Leafs made a big draft day trade?

I think you expect a pick at 28 or a move down. Otherwise should be quiet.
I guess it depends if you consider trading from a 1st rounder to multiple 2nd rounders a big trade. Only one I can think of

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
There is some logic in keeping Murray for now.

Today his value is rock bottom after all the time he missed this past season, including the playoffs. However, if he is back and (relatively) healthy to start the season then it will be a lot easier to move his contract if need be.

Best case scenario, though highly unlikely, is Murray is 100%, stays that way and performs well, in which case the Leafs have a surplus of goalies and can make a deal from a position of strength.

In any case, Murray's value can't really go much farther south so why not gamble that he can recover at least some of it? As pointed out, the team can handle carrying 3 goalies short term.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I can see TREE re-upping Willy over the summer but trading him before the next contract kicks in July 1, 2024.

He is a value deal for this coming season, not so much next contract.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
There is some logic in keeping Murray for now.

Today his value is rock bottom after all the time he missed this past season, including the playoffs. However, if he is back and (relatively) healthy to start the season then it will be a lot easier to move his contract if need be.

Best case scenario, though highly unlikely, is Murray is 100%, stays that way and performs well, in which case the Leafs have a surplus of goalies and can make a deal from a position of strength.

In any case, Murray's value can't really go much farther south so why not gamble that he can recover at least some of it? As pointed out, the team can handle carrying 3 goalies short term.
Murray counts $4.7 on the cap.
Can't have him and a new contract for Samsonov + Woll.

That is the difference in having ROR or losing him.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Treliving said yesterday the most likely scenario is the Leafs keep their 28th pick, even possibly move down, so with a likely 1st round pick at least there's a reason to watch beyond the drama of seeing which team will take Michkov.
The guy with #14 loves to trade back, maybe Treliving can trade the 28th, a 7th rounder and negotiating rights to Kerfoot and Holl for it.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad