Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don’t think Merkley has more potential than say Wilde or Farabee. I don’t even think Wahlstrom has more potential than Farabee. I could see Farabee peaking at a Parise level if his development is very favorable. 70+ pts. What is Wahlstrom going to score, 95? Nah.

What Wahlstrom has is that RHS and on a great PP it could be effective. Wahlstrom could potentially step into a perfect PP environment for him in the NHL and score more early than Farabee has potential to do (I can’t see Farabee like scoring 30+ goals at the age of 20 in the NHL).

When you look at potential, I think it’s the same as ‘best player’. Can a player like Berggren peak as a Point type of performer? Sure. Which ‘player type’ has more potential than that? Not many. Svech and Zadina maybe among the forwards.

My point is just, I don’t think flashy skill and big flaws equals potential. Best player will play the best. Merkley could be a better pick than Farabee and Wahlstrom or Wilde if he becomes a better player than them, same goes for Farabee vs Wahlstrom or vice versa.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not taking Merkley or Woo in the first two rounds. I'm all for upside, but in this draft with so much quality and depth there are too many other good players you can get with those five picks who don't have the same negatives attached.

Once we get into the the third round (if they slip that far), it's a different story.
To be honest, I am not taking Merkley at all. Maybe at the third round if at all. Woo, I like. And i think this style fits with the narrative that we have heard come from Gorton & Quinn (much like Farabee). Woo wold not be a bad choice in the second round and a must have in the third.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's all gravy with me as long as we get one of BOKK or KAUT, and Boqvist getting picked in the top 8.
I keep seeing this. People saying we must get one of Bokk or Kaut. We are heading into Jared Staal territory again. We are group-think obsessing over two players that are not good enough to pick at 9 but will likely not be there when we pick at 26/28. The board will inevitably melt down when we don't get one of them since they will likely have been taken and immediately crucify whoever we do take with those picks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I keep seeing this. People saying we must get one of Bokk or Kaut. We are heading into Jared Staal territory again. We are group-think obsessing over two players that are not good enough to pick at 9 but will likely not be there when we pick at 26/28. The board will inevitably melt down when we don't get one of them since they will likely have been taken and immediately crucify whoever we do take with those picks.

That's why I'm really trying to engage in conversations about a multitude of players.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Also, the possibility that we're not even picking at one or both of those spots.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At the risk of reading the tea leaves, published reports would indicate the Rangers first preference is someone falling from the top 8, not necessarily someone who is widely seen as being outside the top 8 or a riser who pushes their way in.

Now there are many ways we can twist it, but that would seemingly indicate Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes and maybe Boqvist.

It probably wouldn't apply as much to Kotkaniemi (because he'd be doing the pushing), Hayton (ditto), or guys like Farabee, or Kravtsov.

Granted any of the second group could be who the Rangers have 9th, but it might indicate that those guys aren't the more likely choice --- especially if someone disrupts the first group.

Reactions: SnowFort

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
At the risk of reading the tea leaves, published reports would indicate the Rangers first preference is someone falling from the top 8, not necessarily someone who is widely seen as being outside the top 8 or a riser who pushes their way in.

Now there are many ways we can twist it, but that would seemingly indicate Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes and maybe Boqvist.

It probably wouldn't apply as much to Kotkaniemi (because he'd be doing the pushing), Hayton (ditto), or guys like Farabee, or Kravtsov.

Granted any of the second group could be who the Rangers have 9th, but it might indicate that those guys aren't the more likely choice --- especially if someone disrupts the first group.

If I can't get Zadina, Wahlstrom is probably my second choice of realistic options.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Okay with 9.

Fairly okay with 28.

26 not so much.

I feel like that's a good draft, but not necessarily a great draft.

A player I'm not crazy about, sandwiched by two players I like --- but also view as higher floor types.

I don’t see the Rangers drafting in that manner.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Okay with 9.

Fairly okay with 28.

26 not so much.

I feel like that's a good draft, but not necessarily a great draft.

A player I'm not crazy about, sandwiched by two players I like --- but also view as higher floor types.
Doesn't Noel have some really good potential? 6 foot 5 210 pounds already holy shit. How's his skating? plus he's right handed if i believe.
And Dobson at 9 would be great wouldn't it? Considered many feel he could go 4 and a RHD.
From what i hear Berggen could even be a top 20 pick.
I know there are probably safer picks at 26 than Noel but if we came away with those three especially Dobson I would be happy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Can you explain? Do you mean drafting "high-floor" types?

Yup...I think they’re looking more high ceiling. I think trading up for Kravtsov is a very real possibility. If Zadina does start to drop, I expect them to move up. I don’t see Gorton and company playing it safe. As I’ve discussed with Edge, I think the Rangers would be more content to come away with only two first round picks if they got them both in the top fifteen or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad