Speculation: Post Draft 2024 Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What agenda is that? I must have forgotten it lol
I could perhaps found a better word but I think I saw a few skeptic comments of yours about Sennecke that seemed a bit too pessimistic right out of the gate. Haven't been here all day, so might as well misunderstood smth, idk :)

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I could perhaps found a better word but I think I saw a few skeptic comments of yours about Sennecke that seemed a bit too pessimistic right out of the gate. Haven't been here all day, so might as well misunderstood smth, idk :)
I mean... personally I wouldnt have taken him third, but I also understand the need and some places had him as a late-riser akin to Hischier (bit later though)

I was just commenting on the ranking he had as I was reading Anaheim's talk about it - I peruse most teams forums in any sport when news happens

Anaheim has never been poor at drafting since ive followed the drafts so; Im sure itll work out

As for an anti-Duck agenda, to be open and honest while Im here, I do think Zegras ends up moving because he wants to be a center and I believe in Carlsson and McTavish more

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean... personally I wouldnt have taken him third, but I also understand the need and some places had him as a late-riser akin to Hischier (bit later though)

I was just commenting on the ranking he had as I was reading Anaheim's talk about it - I peruse most teams forums in any sport when news happens

Anaheim has never been poor at drafting since ive followed the drafts so; Im sure itll work out

As for an anti-Duck agenda, to be open and honest while Im here, I do think Zegras ends up moving because he wants to be a center and I believe in Carlsson and McTavish more
I feel like thats is kinda a misconception... i think hes more comfortable at center... but i think hes willing to do whatever he needs to do to make the team better.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I feel like thats is kinda a misconception... i think hes more comfortable at center... but i think hes willing to do whatever he needs to do to make the team better.
It could be and even if its not sometimes these guys change their mind because they like the area or team too much

I thought I remembered reading about it when he was drafted (since I followed Jack and he played the line behind him for the USNDTP; that he preferred center and felt it was what allowed his game to open up, much like Jack said

I also could be misremembering - but either way hes a great player or would get great value back

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Really like the draft as a whole. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of mixed reactions for the #3 pick, the other picks were really good. Time will tell of course, and a good number of players from this class will not sniff the NHL.

Reactions: darkwingduck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Just got back from the draft (I was in WiFi hell).

Wow, that was an experience I will never forget. The graphics and presentation were unreal. Only criticism I have is they let some picks drag on too long, but that's pretty typical.

Was it impressive on TV?
The visuals looked unbelievable

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fans always think they know better; Devils fans have been bitching for four years now that we dont draft any centers anymore, when in reality most teams wouldnt when they have two 1st overall picks playing 20 a night and you can find bottom-6ers in free agency or trade often

Sennecke will be very good - just wonder if it was worth it to pass on Demidov

It's not just Demidov, but there was also C Lindstrom, if we're focusing on forward prospects.

Sennecke's got elite skills, but he was only able to put it together in his last 12 regular season games and the playoffs. From scouting reports, Sennecke's late burst coincides being paired with Calum Ritchie. Is it that or is it Sennecke becoming accustomed to his body or both? Prior to being paired with Calum, Sennecke's D+0 season looked stagnate.

His 1v1 game reminds me a lot of Kent Johnson, 5th overall pick in the 2021 draft. Both possess elite skills. Johnson, imo, has the most elite skill in the 2021 draft, but he couldn't play the team game well enough to surpass McTavish. Years later, it's proven so as Johnson is only considered as a winger.

Sennecke is taller (+2") and heavier (+14 lbs) than Johnson. Also, Sennecke's reach and odd ability to stay on his skates when bending like Gumby or Inspector Gadget is a trait that Johnson doesn't have.

The risk is the small sample for Sennecke. It isn't like McTavish for a few reasons: 1) Mac did it against men, 2) Mac did it at the WJC-18s, and 3) the OHL was shutdown. With Sennecke, he played similarly for the past 1 & 3/4th seasons and then the huge offensive burst.

SenneckeOHL
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
D-1
61​
20​
35​
55​
0.90​
-7​
Playoffs
5​
1​
-6​
-5​
-1.00​
-2​
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​

Sennecke2023-24Feb-Mar
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
First 9
9​
5​
2​
7​
0.78​
-2​
Last 12 games
12​
7​
15​
22​
1.83​
19​

The saving grace here is that Anaheim already possesses a lot of offensive forwards where Sennecke can be that elite complementary piece on a line like he was with Calum Ritchie. But there's a lot that needs to go well between now and being in the NHL like adding on necessary weight, playing defense, and working harder on defense (THW).

In choosing Sennecke, Anaheim avoids any potential back injury concerns with the beefier Lindstrom and still retains the PF type in Sennecke. Also, Anaheim might view Sennecke's speed and length more of a plus to Demidov's skills when projecting to the NHL level. But all this is projection and we won't know for another three to four years or more b/c the end goal is seeing who they will be in the NHL. Anaheim is betting on Sennecke having the higher upside.

Ducks fans just hope Verbeek won't ruin Sennecke by rushing him to the NHL.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's not just Demidov, but there was also C Lindstrom, if we're focusing on forward prospects.

Sennecke's got elite skills, but he was only able to put it together in his last 12 regular season games and the playoffs. From scouting reports, Sennecke's late burst coincides being paired with Calum Ritchie. Is it that or is it Sennecke becoming accustomed to his body or both? Prior to being paired with Calum, Sennecke's D+0 season looked stagnate.

His 1v1 game reminds me a lot of Kent Johnson, 5th overall pick in the 2021 draft. Both possess elite skills. Johnson, imo, has the most elite skill in the 2021 draft, but he couldn't play the team game well enough to surpass McTavish. Years later, it's proven so as Johnson is only considered as a winger.

Sennecke is taller (+2") and heavier (+14 lbs) than Johnson. Also, Sennecke's reach and odd ability to stay on his skates when bending like Gumby or Inspector Gadget is a trait that Johnson doesn't have.

The risk is the small sample for Sennecke. It isn't like McTavish for a few reasons: 1) Mac did it against men, 2) Mac did it at the WJC-18s, and 3) the OHL was shutdown. With Sennecke, he played similarly for the past 1 & 3/4th seasons and then the huge offensive burst.

SenneckeOHL
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
D-1
61​
20​
35​
55​
0.90​
-7​
Playoffs
5​
1​
-6​
-5​
-1.00​
-2​
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​

Sennecke2023-24Feb-Mar
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
First 9
9​
5​
2​
7​
0.78​
-2​
Last 12 games
12​
7​
15​
22​
1.83​
19​

The saving grace here is that Anaheim already possesses a lot of offensive forwards where Sennecke can be that elite complementary piece on a line like he was with Calum Ritchie. But there's a lot that needs to go well between now and being in the NHL like adding on necessary weight, playing defense, and working harder on defense (THW).

In choosing Sennecke, Anaheim avoids any potential back injury concerns with the beefier Lindstrom and still retains the PF type in Sennecke. Also, Anaheim might view Sennecke's speed and length more of a plus to Demidov's skills when projecting to the NHL level. But all this is projection and we won't know for another three to four years or more b/c the end goal is seeing who they will be in the NHL. Anaheim is betting on Sennecke having the higher upside.

Ducks fans just hope Verbeek won't ruin Sennecke by rushing him to the NHL.
The same way he ruined Carlsson and Mintyukov by rushing them?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I dont think mintyukov was rushed at all, he was nhl built the moment he was drafted, and i think he was prob underrated in that aspect.

Sennecke is harder to tell on, hes a late bloomer.... so i think you prob want to give him time to grow/build muscle and learn to use his body. 1 year of juniors (is he screwed due to bday in terms of AHL time?), i feel like 1 more year in juniors dominating and then a year in AHL would be best route for him... but im not sure the cutoff for him if he can even play in AHL his d+2 season... which prob makes it kinda awkard for him.

Carlsson prob was rushed a bit, but id prob say thats pretty debatable.

Can you point to a few specific threads, I would love to lurk and scoff.
they already have a poll up
who is better Michkov or Demidov lol

Also a poll for
michkov + yakemchuk
vs

reinbacher + demidov

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Meh, Leo had a solid rookie season for an 18 yo. He would have more points if his line-mates didn’t have their head up their asses for most of the season. Which I put a lot of blame on injuries.

Minty was also having a solid season before he got hurt.

Still a better all around season than Mr. -44 . lol

Folks, it’s not all about points or McDavid would have won the cup and not Barkov.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I whole heartedely agree. Some people don’t agree, and I don’t understand them at all.

I think Verbeek is executing the rebuild plan very well. However the hardest part imo is successfully transitioning out of a rebuild and into a contender. Otherwise you are Arizona (Utah) or Buffalo. It remains to be seen if Verbeek will be able to do that.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Meh, Leo had a solid rookie season for an 18 yo. He would have more points if his line-mates didn’t have their head up their asses for most of the season. Which I put a lot of blame on injuries.

Minty was also having a solid season before he got hurt.

Still a better all around season than Mr. -44 . lol

Folks, it’s not all about points or McDavid would have won the cup and not Barkov.
Every player is different. There is no formula that should be followed. Some are NHL ready, some need more time to develop. Predicting doom for every prospect that is supposed rushed isn’t accurate.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think Verbeek is executing the rebuild plan very well. However the hardest part imo is successfully transitioning out of a rebuild and into a contender. Otherwise you are Arizona (Utah) or Buffalo. It remains to be seen if Verbeek will be able to do that.

This. Verbeek’s best move is he picked a definitive direction. Something Murray seemed to struggle with.

I think the Strome contract was horrendous but the Vatrano contract was a home run. He’s been average at best in free agency imo. I dislike the Kilorn deal more than most here though.

Draft wise, he’s made 2 very ballsy, risky decisions. Time will tell if he’s right.

I also think he should have gone out of his way to squash the Zegras noise.

Like NB said, the toughest move is transitioning from a rebuild to a playoff team. We’ve been one of the worst teams in the league for 2 years now. Time to take a step. His biggest challenge now is not handicapping us with bad contracts.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
This. Verbeek’s best move is he picked a definitive direction. Something Murray seemed to struggle with.

I think the Strome contract was horrendous but the Vatrano contract was a home run. He’s been average at best in free agency imo. I dislike the Kilorn deal more than most here though.

Draft wise, he’s made 2 very ballsy, risky decisions. Time will tell if he’s right.

I also think he should have gone out of his way to squash the Zegras noise.

Like NB said, the toughest move is transitioning from a rebuild to a playoff team. We’ve been one of the worst teams in the league for 2 years now. Time to take a step. His biggest challenge now is not handicapping us with bad contracts.
Especially since we have a f*#& ton of cap space and the free agent market is looking to be pretty barren, this is arguably the most dangerous point in the rebuild. It's really hard to thread the needle to improve a very young team without ending up signing some very questionable contracts.

If we do pull off a miracle and snag someone like Marchessault/Stamkos/Pesce/Roy/etc., you know the contract is going to be awful to sway them over here. Is it worth it to try and get out of the dumpster, or do we just stay the course and hope some of the youngsters take a leap?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Especially since we have a f*#& ton of cap space and the free agent market is looking to be pretty barren, this is arguably the most dangerous point in the rebuild. It's really hard to thread the needle to improve a very young team without ending up signing some very questionable contracts.

If we do pull off a miracle and snag someone like Marchessault/Stamkos/Pesce/Roy/etc., you know the contract is going to be awful to sway them over here. Is it worth it to try and get out of the dumpster, or do we just stay the course and hope some of the youngsters take a leap?
But can the youngsters even take the leap without the right veterans showing them good habits, or protecting them from playing minutes they're not ready for? Honestly, I don't know the answer, but it's a tricky question.

The Strome and Killorn contracts, which I know are questionable at best among Ducks fans, were made for that purpose. To provide veteran leadership and stability. Does the team need more? I think it's probably worth it to bring in one or two more veterans to make the team better and to help the kids develop, even if those contracts aren't great. But it's a risk, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad