Dorion to get contract extension as per Bruce Garrioch

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Are you saying a team that squeaked into the playoffs that had a negative goal differential and bottom 10 special teams wasn't a contender? Blasphemy.
You mean the team that won 11 playoff games?

The team that was one goal from the cup final?

The Sens could have bought out or retained to move Phaneuf and protect Methot.

The Sens could have spent to replace MacArthur knowing he wasn't going to be back and they could exceed the cap to do so.

They could have traded Methot instead of losing him for nothing.

They could have retained on Ryan if they wanted to move on.

They could have traded other assets to get Duchene without giving up Turris.

If they spent to the cap (and beyond) like our owner promised they would, the options were numerous to give a good team a shot at being elite.

You can look at the results of this season with horrific goaltending and pretend that our organization believed they had a bad team, but without the benefit of hindsight this team looked poised for a run.

Last edited:
Reactions: dingbatz

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You mean the team that won 11 playoff games?

The team that was one goal from the cup final?

The Sens could have bought out or retained to move Phaneuf and protect Methot.

The Sens could have spent to replace MacArthur knowing he wasn't going to be back and they could exceed the cap to do so.

They could have traded Methot instead of losing him for nothing.

They could have retained on Ryan if they wanted to move on.

They could have traded other assets to get Duchene without giving up Turris.

If they spent to the cap (and beyond) like our owner promised they would, the options were numerous to give a good team a shot at being elite.

You can look at the results of this season with horrific goaltending and pretend that our organization believed they had a bad team, but without the benefit of hindsight this team looked poised for a run.
What's your point? Management massively overestimated where the team was at and let a stretch of 20 games against some underwhleming competition blind them into not making the necessary adjustments going forward? Cause that's what I've been saying since October. I didn't need any damn hindsight, I just looked at the roster and who's behind the bench to know that this is one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What's your point? Management massively overestimated where the team was at and let a stretch of 20 games against some underwhleming competition blind them into not making the necessary adjustments going forward? Cause that's what I've been saying since October. I didn't need any damn hindsight, I just looked at the roster and who's behind the bench to know that this is one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Please try and follow along.

Management thought we were contenders. Your opinion of their strength is immaterial to this discussion

Our owner promised he would spend when we were contenders. The people he hired to run his hockey operations felt we were contenders.

Did he spend? Nope, He lied, as is his regular habit, and instead of spending brought in Oduya and Thompson, while not repalcing Methot or MacArthur.

Melnyk should have ZERO SUPPORT on these boards and the fans should stop buying tickets until this ass clown sells the team.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Please try and follow along.

Management thought we were contenders. Your opinion of their strength is immaterial to this discussion

Our owner promised he would spend when we were contenders. The people he hired to run his hockey operations felt we were contenders.

Did he spend? Nope, He lied, as is his regular habit, and instead of spending brought in Oduya and Thompson, while not repalcing Methot or MacArthur.

Melnyk should have ZERO SUPPORT on these boards and the fans should stop buying tickets until this ass clown sells the team.
Well I'm not buying any tickets until Melnyk has sold the team or is dead so you got me down for that.

The results this year have very little to do with spending though. It mostly has to do with mismanagement of epic proportions.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well I'm not buying any tickets until Melnyk has sold the team or is dead so you got me down for that.

The results this year have very little to do with spending though. It mostly has to do with mismanagement of epic proportions.
Disagree on the latter.

If this GM had the $ to open up more options (spend to cap and buyout/retain) then I firmly believe we would see a much better product on the ice.

I'm not saying Dorion has been great, but he's fighting with one hand tied behind his back and with an owner who can't help himself from interfering in his job and alienating the players and fans.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

your point of view would have some credibility if you didn't always try to downplay the success of last spring.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Do you need this to be your safe space where everyone will agree with you and reassure you everything will be okay?

not at all....I watch a lot of hockey...ya there was the whole we had a negative differential going in to the playoffs. A lot was done around the TDL last year to address shortcomings. Then we ran into a string of injuries and the results of those moves weren't evident until we were healthy which was the start of the playoffs. Last year's playoff team was a pretty strong team. We won 11 games. You believe that was luck. Good on ya for sticking to your beliefs. This is the internet. We aren't talking. We are both posting thoughts. I posted yesterday that there is a group of negative posters here that is unlike what I see in the real world when I speak to real people. You're part of that group. In the real world when I go for post game beers after I play hockey a guy with your attitude is someone everyone would play musical chairs with so they don't end up sitting beside you and then having to listen to you. That my friend is real life.

you asked about this being my safe place. That's funny. nice jab. A lot closer to reality is that this is your safe place because in real life people simply wouldn't talk hockey with you because it'd be too f***ing depressing. And I'm sorry man but sometimes the truth hurts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With all the talk regarding losing Methot I have yet to see it brought up that he has been injured most of this yr. What if we would have kept him & he got injured as he did here one yr & misses most of the yr. It almost looks now like he is on his way out of the league & we may have been lucky that LV took him when they did.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
not at all....I watch a lot of hockey...ya there was the whole we had a negative differential going in to the playoffs. A lot was done around the TDL last year to address shortcomings. Then we ran into a string of injuries and the results of those moves weren't evident until we were healthy which was the start of the playoffs. Last year's playoff team was a pretty strong team. We won 11 games. You believe that was luck. Good on ya for sticking to your beliefs. This is the internet. We aren't talking. We are both posting thoughts. I posted yesterday that there is a group of negative posters here that is unlike what I see in the real world when I speak to real people. You're part of that group. In the real world when I go for post game beers after I play hockey a guy with your attitude is someone everyone would play musical chairs with so they don't end up sitting beside you and then having to listen to you. That my friend is real life.

you asked about this being my safe place. That's funny. nice jab. A lot closer to reality is that this is your safe place because in real life people simply wouldn't talk hockey with you because it'd be too ****ing depressing. And I'm sorry man but sometimes the truth hurts.
Do you live in Ottawa? My thoughts are hardly original or rare in my area in West Ottawa. All my friends and co workers feel exactly as I do about this team and its owner and management. In real life, there is no one I know who defends this team like you and others do around here save one person who's already come around to seeing what's transpired and promptly cancelling their season seats.

Do you see the empty seats? Do you ever listen to the call in shows after the games? This fan base is disgruntled and pissed just like I am. The people who work for the Sens hate their jobs.

I really wonder if the white knights around here actually live in the city and are witnesses this dumpster fire in person like me and my group is and are instead essentially only getting a glimpse of the team through essentially team run media like Garrioch.

Seems like you're the one who's in denial over the truth. I don't care how my posts make you feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
With all the talk regarding losing Methot I have yet to see it brought up that he has been injured most of this yr. What if we would have kept him & he got injured as he did here one yr & misses most of the yr. It almost looks now like he is on his way out of the league & we may have been lucky that LV took him when they did.

Hey, I did. Two pages ago.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

Gotta commend PD for not caving to Vegas. I honestly don't think we're much better off in the standings even if we had kept Methot. He's still get injured somehow.

Just imagine having traded a unprotected pick for Marc Methot this season and being where we currently are.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Dorions work thus far. I think it is a questionable signing in my completely non-professional opinion.

That being said, he can still turn it around. We need to quickly, as if we go off the rails on this rebuild/retool, we could be in for some darker days for longer periods.

Do we know if we are going to be trying to compete next year, or are we rebuilding? I know they said we would be looking at drafting/scouting/etc, but I don't know what our plan is.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

ya Methots health gets brought up here and there

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Dorions work thus far. I think it is a questionable signing in my completely non-professional opinion.

That being said, he can still turn it around. We need to quickly, as if we go off the rails on this rebuild/retool, we could be in for some darker days for longer periods.

Do we know if we are going to be trying to compete next year, or are we rebuilding? I know they said we would be looking at drafting/scouting/etc, but I don't know what our plan is.

I just don’t see how we can effectively rebuild next year without a first-rounder. The problem is compounded by the fact that guys like Ryan, Phaneuf, Anderson and Burrows are likely untradeable. We can definitely ship out guys like Brassard, Smith and Pageau, but that’s not enough for an effective rebuild imo.

Maybe Melnyk will be willing to retain salary or pursue some buyouts? I don’t know.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

there's probably an EK signs plan and a trade EK plan. definitely they'd have both. personally I'd want to see more from EK prior to committing 8 or 9 more years to him which includes next year on his current deal.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He promised to spend to the cap when we were ready to contend.

Liar.

He said he would do whatever it takes to turn this franchise into the Mecca of hockey.

Liar.

He says "we" will have to suffer pain, but the fans are the only ones going to feel it as he slashes payroll and trades our generational player.

He needs to sell and the fans should empty the arena until he does.

You brag that you don't even go to games, what pain are you going to feel lol. Empty arena equals EVEN LOWER payroll. Way to show them!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Do you live in Ottawa? My thoughts are hardly original or rare in my area in West Ottawa. All my friends and co workers feel exactly as I do about this team and its owner and management. In real life, there is no one I know who defends this team like you and others do around here save one person who's already come around to seeing what's transpired and promptly cancelling their season seats.

Do you see the empty seats? Do you ever listen to the call in shows after the games? This fan base is disgruntled and pissed just like I am. The people who work for the Sens hate their jobs.

I really wonder if the white knights around here actually live in the city and are witnesses this dumpster fire in person like me and my group is and are instead essentially only getting a glimpse of the team through essentially team run media like Garrioch.

Seems like you're the one who's in denial over the truth. I don't care how my posts make you feel.

Your workplace must be pretty toxic I guess!

The empty seats are an indictment on fan support through hard times and I commend those that go and support their players. That is what fans should do. You know, you can complain about the state of affairs and still support your team. No one here is happy about this season, but many enjoyed the playoff run while I guess many here commiserated and missed out. Too bad for them!

Senators don't owe you or anyone of your co-workers jack shit. This is pro sports and this is a bad year. It happens, and I will try and look at the positives and many here can focus on the negatives.

It is all how people look at things. Boy, if all the Sens haters here handled real life they way this season is going, that would be freaking scary!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You brag that you don't even go to games, what pain are you going to feel lol. Empty arena equals EVEN LOWER payroll. Way to show them!
The pain of having the worst owner in the NHL making a laughingstock of the team I love.

If we empty the arena he will sell. He is the one that needs to be made to feel the pain.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Your workplace must be pretty toxic I guess!

The empty seats are an indictment on fan support through hard times and I commend those that go and support their players. That is what fans should do. You know, you can complain about the state of affairs and still support your team. No one here is happy about this season, but many enjoyed the playoff run while I guess many here commiserated and missed out. Too bad for them!

Senators don't owe you or anyone of your co-workers jack ****. This is pro sports and this is a bad year. It happens, and I will try and look at the positives and many here can focus on the negatives.

It is all how people look at things. Boy, if all the Sens haters here handled real life they way this season is going, that would be freaking scary!
The empty seats are an indictment of Melnyk.

We are not ATM's that Eugene gets to access whenever he likes.

Earn the fans support, don't embarrass them, treat them like crap, call them out and then offer a phony non-apology.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Senators don't owe you or anyone of your co-workers jack ****.

Ehhhhh that's such a bizzare thing to say. So the Sens don't owe anything to the fans but the fans owe it to them to go see games even when the team is pure utter trash?

You might wanna think that out again. Hockey is entertainment, when the public is entertained, a show, whatever that show may be, will be successful. But when the show is not entertaining to the public, the public has no interest in spending money to go see it that's simple logic right.. That relationship is by definition reciprocical.

Who in their right mind would pay hundreds of dollars to go see a bad show over and over again?

When a team is competitive, you know you might catch a good game but when the team is legitimately one of the worst in the league I certainly do not owe it to them to spend my money to go see the game when I know I most likely will not even enjoy it in the first place. That would be like buying tickets for a band that you don't like or to a movie you won't want to watch.

And don't even bring up the "true fan" bullshit. When the team is not competitive I can still watch the game from my house for free. Spending 100$ to go see the game when I know I most likely won't enjoy it is not a sign of being a true fan, it's being completely stupid financially speaking.

There are so many things to do in this life to be entertained, I can do hundreds of things instead of going to see a Sens game. There are other fun things to do so when I know the team is bad I might also want to explore those other options. When you're in the business of entertainment one thing is extremely clear: your clients are your #1 priority. They bring 100% of your earnings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The pain of having the worst owner in the NHL making a laughingstock of the team I love.

If we empty the arena he will sell. He is the one that needs to be made to feel the pain.

No he won't. He will adjust the model, and quite frankly, you are in the minority here, with your occupy Wall Street bravado. It's just hockey, bud. Crap year feels crappy, but bailing on the team you supposedly love isn't the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad