Dorion to get contract extension as per Bruce Garrioch

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Well, apparently Vegas wanted our 2018 first to protect Methot. Do you blame them for not doing that?

well its called negotiating.

we could have done 2nd + a prospect/pick and it would have beaten Dallas offer. do you think Vegas would have said no to more value?

Dorion let Methot go to have Burrows at 2.5 and Thompson at 1.7

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
he turned a putrid bottom six that he was the cause of into a below average bottom 6.

its not even that hard to have a good bottom 6

like hell are we really looking at his acquisitions of 4th liners as a reason to celebrate him?

You said he didn't do anything to contribute aside from hiring a coach. I pointed out other things that he did to help bring the team to where it was, and rebuilding the bottom 6 was a big part of that.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

we could have done 2nd + a prospect/pick and it would have beaten Dallas offer. do you think Vegas would have said no to more value?

Speculation on your part. No facts here at all.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You said he didn't do anything to contribute aside from hiring a coach. I pointed out other things that he did to help bring the team to where it was, and rebuilding the bottom 6 was a big part of that.

he made a shit bottom six into less shit?

we didnt have a good roster at all, and the bottom six was nothing special. if you dont believe me just look at the Karlsson on/off splits.

the whole roster got absolutely murdered when they didn't have karlsson babysitting them

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
the fact is that we let our 2nd best d go because we couldn't top an offer of a second

It was widely circulated that Vegas was pissed that Dorion wouldn't give them the first to pass on Methot, and wouldn't negotiate with them after the draft for Methot. Regardless, you're pulling that little bit completely out of your ass and calling it a fact.

he made a **** bottom six into less ****?

we didnt have a good roster at all, and the bottom six was nothing special. if you dont believe me just look at the Karlsson on/off splits.

the whole roster got absolutely murdered when they didn't have karlsson babysitting them

Agree to disagree then. That bottom 6 was solid and played its part, they weren't there to score goals in spades. The Senators' inability to score on the powerplay is what really did them in eventually.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
...dude, that is what I was saying. But you also over-estimate how often a GM scouts guys...especially the ones not projected to be 1st/2nd round picks. Odds are Murray never saw Mark Stone before he was drafted, and Dorion likely never saw (or perhaps once) Batherson before being drafted. GMs rely heavily on scouts for most picks. GMs already have a laundry list of jobs to do daily....they leave the real nuts & bolts scouting to their scouts.

You're correct, I doubt Murray even saw Mark Stone play, before he was drafted, as he was not a projected first rounder. Stone was selected in 6th round. GMs, with high first round draft selections, in an up coming draft will often travel to see projected first rounders than may be available near their draft position, in the first round.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He did not have to extend Anderson before the season.
He could have traded Ceci before the expansion draft and protected Methot.

Don’t act like he had no other options.
I agree on the Anderson deal but I've never liked Anderson.

Don't agree on Ceci. Yes he could have traded him but the return would essentially have been futures or a return that needed to be protected and no one trades young D that logs Ceci's minutes for futures

The Methot situation is way overblown. EK is struggling because of injury not because of Methot. Methot is a broken down player from too many years of hard hockey. He's played 16 games this season. There's no answer there for what ails us

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Correction, Dorion protected Karlsson, Ceci and Phaneuf (NMC) ..... and left the rest of Draft eligible D men exposed, and Methot was selected by the VGK.

BTW, the expansion draft was held June 18th, and Nate Thompson was still an impending UFA, who was not signed by Dorion until July.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
we didnt top the offer because we didn't want to due to budget constraints
not only is that a made up notion it contradicts what was out there in the real world. McPhee played all kinds of games with different teams while doing the expansion dance. We choose not to play

Applying hindsight to a situation with a woulda shoulda coulda mindset always sounds great. Flip it the other way. We traded Ceci and got some futures. We kept Methot. Methot has played 16 games. There'd be a 100 page thread on how Dorion was too stupid to see that at 32 years old and with a history of back problems and with a 4.9 cap hit keeping Methot was a bad idea.

And the irony of the situation is it wouldn't be a different crowd filling the 100 pages...it'd be the same crowd that criticizes every move the team makes

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
not only is that a made up notion it contradicts what was out there in the real world. McPhee played all kinds of games with different teams while doing the expansion dance. We choose not to play

Applying hindsight to a situation with a woulda shoulda coulda mindset always sounds great. Flip it the other way. We traded Ceci and got some futures. We kept Methot. Methot has played 16 games. There'd be a 100 page thread on how Dorion was too stupid to see that at 32 years old and with a history of back problems and with a 4.9 cap hit keeping Methot was a bad idea.

And the irony of the situation is it wouldn't be a different crowd filling the 100 pages...it'd be the same crowd that criticizes every move the team makes
Methot is done ,he is always injured now and makes almost 5 mil..He was an easy choice to let go of tbh

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
the fact is that we let our 2nd best d go because we couldn't top an offer of a second

The Senators protected a (then) 23 year old Ceci, who was selected 15th overall in the 2012 draft ......... and left an aging (then) 32 year old Methot exposed.

I don't know how many times the "Methot could have return for a 2nd round pick" myth has been debunked, but it was explained that the Senators tried to get him back from the VGN, but they were asking too much, and yes it was more than a 2nd pick for the Senators.

BTW, I doubt anyone would call Methot the Senators "2nd best D man" ...... but you can if you want, to advance your narrative ......... but yes he worked well with Karlsson, and that was his value to the Sens, and that same "chemistry" has not materialized with anyone else yet.

Also, I'd like to point out that Methot has only played 16 games this season, and has yet to register a single point, despite averaging over 19 mins per game.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
From Mark Masters piece on TSN. EK seems to like PD. Also, I see a jab directed at Melnyk in his comments.

Erik Karlsson was pleased to see Ottawa general manager Pierre Dorion earn a contract extension.
"Pierre’s been here since I got drafted," the Senators captain said. "He’s someone who always told me he’s been very high on me and he’s one of the guys who was pushing for me to get the opportunity I got when I was young and I appreciate that a lot. We’ve always been open and honest with each other so I’m happy for him. He’s going to do the things he feels he has to do to progress this team in the right direction.”
Stability at the top of the organization is key moving forward, Karlsson said.
It starts from the top. I think you need to sort that bit out first before you move anywhere else. It’s just a normal way of doing things in any organization whether in the sports business or regular business."

Reactions: Newgates59

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The Senators protected a (then) 23 year old Ceci, who was selected 15th overall in the 2012 draft ......... and left an aging (then) 32 year old Methot exposed.

I don't know how many times the "Methot could have return for a 2nd round pick" myth has been debunked, but it was explained that the Senators tried to get him back from the VGN, but they were asking too much, and yes it was more than a 2nd pick for the Senators.

BTW, I doubt anyone would call Methot the Senators "2nd best D man" ...... but you can if you want, to advance your narrative ......... but yes he worked well with Karlsson, and that was his value to the Sens, and that same "chemistry" has not materialized with anyone else yet.

Also, I'd like to point out that Methot has only played 16 games this season, and has yet to register a single point, despite averaging over 19 mins per game.

If Methot wasn’t our second best dman, then who was?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have to remember, if we're playing the hindsight game, we also have to factor in that Methot wouldn't have played those particular games in Dallas where he got injured. In Ottawa, he could've stayed healthy all year and been a force...or slipped in the shower after the first preseason game and been on LTIR for the season.

Personally, I'd love to go to an alternate timeline and see what would've happened if we did the 4-4-1 protection. Likely would've lost Pageau...but then we also have White as a possible fill-in at 3C...who knows...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We have to remember, if we're playing the hindsight game, we also have to factor in that Methot wouldn't have played those particular games in Dallas where he got injured. In Ottawa, he could've stayed healthy all year and been a force...or slipped in the shower after the first preseason game and been on LTIR for the season.

Personally, I'd love to go to an alternate timeline and see what would've happened if we did the 4-4-1 protection. Likely would've lost Pageau...but then we also have White as a possible fill-in at 3C...who knows...
I would like to use this to draft Kopitar over Lee,and Pronger over Daigle

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Yeah that is a baffling comment. Methot was our 2nd best D and it was not close. I'm sure a massive majority of Sens fans would agree.
Methot was Karlsson’s partner. Made him seem better than he was and made him much more valuable to the Senators than to any of the 30 other teams.

Many, many people thought that there was at least one internal and much cheaper replacement, so letting him go and not paying McPhee’s ransom was not an unreasonable move.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Methot was Karlsson’s partner. Made him seem better than he was and made him much more valuable to the Senators than to any of the 30 other teams.

Many, many people thought that there was at least one internal and much cheaper replacement, so letting him go and not paying McPhee’s ransom was not an unreasonable move.

I agreed at the time, but if it's any consolation, he might not have factored into this season at all, with little overlap with Karlsson's healthy season.

Last 5 games
OpponentDateGAP+/-PIMPPGSHGSShiftsTOI
NJDJAN 4000100022415:32
WPGNOV 6000-100002618:24
BUFNOV 4000120012718:23
WPGNOV 2000000023020:04
VANOCT 30000040002819:07
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Count me as one of the guilty ones who assumed our younger defencemen (and potential Methot replacements) wouldn't completely crap the bed this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad