Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hughes or Kakko would be nice to have, but what's the biggest hole on this team? Defense.

There's no guarantee they'd even be in a position to draft either one. If you get either one, and even if they lived up to their hype, it doesn't solve the defenseman problem.

Now, if Dahlin was available this year instead of last year, then there'd be more of a dilemma in my view on whether to tank or go for the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned, they've made so much headway and have had such an incredible turnaround that I think they should keep working towards the playoffs.
You don't draft for need.

2019 Draft pick will not fill 2019 problems in the 2020 roster.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017

Drafting one of those two would be nice, but this team won't be back on top until better play from its defensemen.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

There’s nothing wrong with drafting the No. 1 player at a position on your board if it is a glaring need. I bet Edmonton wishes they took Sergachev instead of Puljujarvi. And a lot of people laughed at Montreal for taking Kotkaniemi but they seem happy with it. There are always exceptions to the rule and the Hawks are in that position this year.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
There’s nothing wrong with drafting the No. 1 player at a position on your board if it is a glaring need. I bet Edmonton wishes they took Sergachev instead of Puljujarvi. And a lot of people laughed at Montreal for taking Kotkaniemi but they seem happy with it. There are always exceptions to the rule and the Hawks are in that position this year.
Hindsight...

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Drafting one of those two would be nice, but this team won't be back on top until better play from its defensemen.
With all the young guys? Just be patient.

No pick this year will improve the team D that much. BPA, not by position

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
With all the young guys? Just be patient.

No pick this year will improve the team D that much. BPA, not by position

Hughes or Kakko would simply be a nice luxury that won't solve the team's most pressing need.

Right now I'd take a caliber defenseman over either of them, especially if this playoff push is for real.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Well peeps, with a win tonight we leapfrog Minnesota back into WC2.
man-lost-all-hope.jpg

Summarizes this weekend.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
For those all aboard the tank train...

~20ish games left so still some time to fall in the standings. Ottawa (a.k.a. Colorado) and LA have the 1 & 2 spots pretty much locked down. Without help from the lottery, the Hawks are probably picking at best 5th. Probably finishing right where they did last season.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
yea i would think we are looking at about 8-10. kaliev turcotte broberg dach all in that range. dont hate it

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
4-5 weeks ago this team was toast, now after 2 tough loses some people are throwing in the towel. knee jerk reactions as usual here. Dallas is hurt, Minny has sold off, still plenty of games left- just make smart hockey trades that help today and tomorrow.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
4-5 weeks ago this team was toast, now after 2 tough loses some people are throwing in the towel. knee jerk reactions as usual here. Dallas is hurt, Minny has sold off, still plenty of games left- just make smart hockey trades that help today and tomorrow.

I'm as optimistic as anyone on these boards, but I think those 2 games pretty much sunk us. It was always going to be an uphill climb and the games against the teams they are chasing were close to must wins. You mention Dal and Min but Col is 4 pts ahead of us with a game on hand as well. There's only 19 games left. The NHL standings always seem closer than they actually are because of the 3 pt games. It's just so hard to gain significant ground.

On Jan 19th the Hawks had 39 pts and were 6 pts behind the Avs and Ducks for WC2. After going 10-4 in the last 14 games, they are 5 pts in back of WC2. They have hoped over a couple teams in that time to be fair, but in relationship to the playoffs, things really haven't changed much.

I hope they win out and get back in it, but I highly doubt it unfortunately. I'd only deal with the idea of improving next years team.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Some already threw in the towel and didn't believe this team was really a playoff team to begin with.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm as optimistic as anyone on these boards, but I think those 2 games pretty much sunk us. It was always going to be an uphill climb and the games against the teams they are chasing were close to must wins. You mention Dal and Min but Col is 4 pts ahead of us with a game on hand as well. There's only 19 games left. The NHL standings always seem closer than they actually are because of the 3 pt games. It's just so hard to gain significant ground.

On Jan 19th the Hawks had 39 pts and were 6 pts behind the Avs and Ducks for WC2. After going 10-4 in the last 14 games, they are 5 pts in back of WC2. They have hoped over a couple teams in that time to be fair, but in relationship to the playoffs, things really haven't changed much.

I hope they win out and get back in it, but I highly doubt it unfortunately. I'd only deal with the idea of improving next years team.
I agree as well, just saying how crazy this team is that once people "jump off" this team seems to keep rising from the dead. Just make smart hockey trades that help now and tomorrow, we are still right there but lost some ground..we clearly are not buyers but we certainly will not be selling much either but riding of some spare parts it seems.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Hawks are 18-1 if you have the over in the first period. That's pretty much says it all in regards to the season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This thread has gone quiet.

6pts back of DAL, no games in hand. 19 games left.

Hawks have gained 1pt in wildcard race since Dec 30th.
(record in that time period (10-7-2))

It's looking really bleak.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Our postseason chance is essentially multiple teams collapsing and us going on a tear or two to end the season.

The 2018-19 season is dead, Jim. All that's left is a final nail or two.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Looking very much like it'll be Dallas and Colorado for the two WC spots.
Miracle do happen but they're obviously rare.

Hawks would need to go around 11-4-4 to end the season to even have a shot.
11 road games (two in San Jose, one in Toronto, last game of the season in Nashville)
8 home games (including one against WPG and one against StL)

Does not look promising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad