Speculation: Don't look now, Hawks 2 points from the 5th place in the lottery

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
This team has overachieved. There's so much to be desired with defense and goaltending.

It's just that Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome are so unreal they've somehow dragged a team that was in the basement into a wild card spot in about a month's span.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Why tank now? Do not mortgage the future for rentals this year, but do go for it now that you're in a playoff spot.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
If you haven't noticed, Toews and Kane pretty much told all of us to shut the hell up with the tankathon talk.

Well ya, they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't want to win.

Bowman wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't trying to create a sustainable, long-term elite team. Getting demolished in the POs this year is not that way to do that.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Bowman wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't trying to create a sustainable, long-term elite team. Getting demolished in the POs this year is not that way to do that.
Well, Bowman screwed that up when he traded Manning for Drake ... and Schmaltz for Strome.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
It'll be nice for them to make the playoffs only for the virgins to get their feet wet in the playoffs. I am particularly interested to see if Cat can step up his game when the opponents are allowed that extra check or 2 without the referee whistle.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
We need Crow to be back, our PP to be as elite as it's now and everybody to stick for the defensive system if we want to upset some team in first round. Don't add if it's not a hockey trade which'll benefit us in long-term.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
We need Crow to be back, our PP to be as elite as it's now and everybody to stick for the defensive system if we want to upset some team in first round. Don't add if it's not a hockey trade which'll benefit us in long-term.

Migi, would you roll with Crow/Ward or Crow/Delia in any potential playoff series?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Migi, would you roll with Crow/Ward or Crow/Delia in any potential playoff series?

If Rockford is in playoffs, most definitely I’d put Delia there. If Crow is healthy, Delia wouldn’t start a single game in NHL playoffs. AHL playoffs are good games for rising young goalie to get mentally ready.

If IceHogs aren’t in playoffs, obviously I’d like Delia to get the feeling of playoff atmosphere.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
As of now does anybody know who they could face in a hypothetical round 1 matchup with the WC1 ranking?
The west is anything but predictable right now, but if the season ended today, the WC1 would play the jets and go through the central division.

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
Considering that if I remember right at Christmas their playoff odds were I believe about 1.5 percent, quite amazing.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
This team has overachieved. There's so much to be desired with defense and goaltending.

It's just that Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome are so unreal they've somehow dragged a team that was in the basement into a wild card spot in about a month's span.
i agree...at this point just dont mortgage the future at all and see if they continue to drag these guys into the playoffs.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Avs looked pretty solid against a slumping Jets team last night. It's going take a better Hawks team that we have witnessed lately to beat them.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Because we're just gonna lose in the first round and miss out on a potential franchise cornerstone.

Hughes or Kakko would be nice to have, but what's the biggest hole on this team? Defense.

There's no guarantee they'd even be in a position to draft either one. If you get either one, and even if they lived up to their hype, it doesn't solve the defenseman problem.

Now, if Dahlin was available this year instead of last year, then there'd be more of a dilemma in my view on whether to tank or go for the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned, they've made so much headway and have had such an incredible turnaround that I think they should keep working towards the playoffs.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Having one of top two picks is now a pipe dream, they would have to go on a monumental losing streak. They might as well go for the playoffs.

Reactions: Rooh

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even if we bottom out and end up last overall, we'd still have a mere 20% chance at first overall and only half a shot at top three.

When we stunk more, I got it, whatever. Now? Ultimately our odds will be bad regardless where we stand as a lottery team, so let's try to actually do something this year and build off from that next year.

And who knows? Ultimate Trollhawks would be the last team in and going on a run or finishing 15th overall and then win a lottery.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL

Making it and losing in the playoffs is a FAR better way to end the season than to lose on purpose to get a better draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs USA
    France vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Canada
    Norway vs Canada
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $501.00