Management Don Sweeney

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Meh, with the voting. Chris Drury was better than Sweeney? I’m not so sure.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I loved the Nash trade at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 on the concussion thing I know, but Nash looked lethal to me once he came over. Sadly we know how it ended.
He played well. Loved the the snipe goal against the leafs. I never liked the trade ... too many red flags. concussion and playoff poor performance history plus he was on the decline. IMO it wasn't a risk taking.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He played well. Loved the the snipe goal against the leafs. I never liked the trade ... too many red flags. concussion and playoff poor performance history plus he was on the decline. IMO it wasn't a risk taking.
I think that's definitely a fair position to have taken at the time.

Of course, unlike mine, it also has the benefit of being the right one.:laugh:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Sweeney should not overthink things on July 1st.
This would be the year to stand pat. He has 21 million or so to spend.
I would keep Ulmark to play out his final year, perhaps move him at the
trade deadline , depending how the season is going.
Make one big move and try to sign a centremen, either Stephenson or trade for
Necas. That is about it.
They would be set in net, On D. also Forward group needs help but with portrois back,
lysall another year under his belt, Merkulov as well, you need to see what you have.
By adding STEPHENSON your stronger up the middle of the ice and have cap room for trade deadline
moves. See how season plays out.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"a 42-member panel that included all 32 general managers, five NHL executives and five media members"

So there are more voters than just the 32 GMs. Don got 7 votes in total. How does Ty know who voted for him? Would be interesting to see who the execs and media voters are.
Another fluff piece by a writer who wants to keep his access.

Sweeney got 7 votes in the top 3.

Only 4 GM's got more first place votes.

Hard to turn this into anything other than respect from Sweeney's peers.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Babajingo

Sweeney got 7 votes in the top 3.

Only 4 GM's got more first place votes.

Hard to turn this into anything other than respect from Sweeney's peI
I guess I shouldve been more descriptive. My bad.
The title was "

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney earns kudos from fellow GMs"​

My point was there was more than fellow GMs voting.. Semantics, I guess. You are correct though :)

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Check list:

1. Address coaching issues, check.
2. Continue to discuss contracts with in house FA's and UFA'S. Decide who stays and who goes.
3. Aggressively explore trade possibilities.
4. Do due diligence regarding FA possibilities.
5. Do due diligence in preparation for the draft.
6. Aggressively target desired FA's with appropriate contact officers.
7. Evaluate development camp and player progress.
8. Explore all undrafted and unsigned players worldwide for hidden gems
9. Continue exploring trade possibilities and depth acquisitions NHL/AHL
10. Reevaluate current rosters

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I found his first few years to be a bit wonky but he`s consistently signed or re-signed players to deals that allow the B`s to make other moves and it`s pretty clear that he goes for it as best as he is able to each year

I think if I had a complaint it`s the lack of grit and physicality he`s got on the roster

He`d be unemployed for about a dozen seconds if and when he`s fired by the B`s at some point
Total agreement.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
There’s only 8 active GMs in the league who have had tenures longer than 5 years. It’s becoming a shorter and shorter shelf life.
Head coaches have the lifespan of mosquitoes at this point.

Look at Seattle, for example.

I loved the Nash trade at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 on the concussion thing I know, but Nash looked lethal to me once he came over. Sadly we know how it ended.
I hated that deal from the very beginning. Even I could see that Nash was one concussion away from the end of his career. Which basically proved to be the case.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
"a 42-member panel that included all 32 general managers, five NHL executives and five media members"

So there are more voters than just the 32 GMs. Don got 7 votes in total. How does Ty know who voted for him? Would be interesting to see who the execs and media voters are.
Another fluff piece by a writer who wants to keep his access.
Do you know anything about Ty Anderson? He has a famously prickly relationship with Don Sweeney. Perhaps the criticism is relatively mild, but he and KPD are about the only ones who question Sweeney, and they do it to his face.

Specifically, Anderson wrote a piece about 2 or 3 years ago criticizing Sweeney for talking a lot at press conferences but saying next to nothing of value.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Do you know anything about Ty Anderson? He has a famously prickly relationship with Don Sweeney. Perhaps the criticism is relatively mild, but he and KPD are about the only ones who question Sweeney, and they do it to his face.

Specifically, Anderson wrote a piece about 2 or 3 years ago criticizing Sweeney for talking a lot at press conferences but saying next to nothing of value.
Ty is one of Sweeney’s biggest defenders - very similar to you

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Lol wut? You could not be more wrong about Anderson.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Lol wut? You could not be more wrong about Anderson.
Maybe I am. But I've seen him several times on Bruins beat forward/poke the bear podcasts. He doesn't seem like a lickspittle to me at all.

As I said, I couldn't find it to post today, but I read the article twice in the past where he takes Sweeney to task for talking a lot of crap at those press conferences but actually saying nothing at all of substance.Which of course is a GM's prerogative.

Reactions: EverettMike

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Never have seen a fan base more obsessed positively or negatively with a GM in my life. Maybe he should come out with a line of polos or something, would prob outsell the jerseys

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad