Management Don Sweeney IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
And I had it with using a 74 million cap.

I suppose the it's hard to call it cap hell when you can pretty much bring your entire team back without much problem. So cap hell is probably the wrong word.

And I don't expect them to bring back the same team. I have no confidence they can move Hayes or Belesky with their current production.

Kevan or McQuaid I think can be moved, your just not getting anything back and some teams/GMs will have no interest, while some I think will.

I guess the best way to look at it is a pricey acquisition this summer to upgrade the forward or D-corps is probably unrealistic.

I think how the Spooner situation plays out is the wild-card here.

Wild-card No.2 - Do any of the Bruins NCAA talent (McAvoy, Bjork, JFK) graduated to the big club this April and do any of them make an impact.

I included McAvoy at max hit of 925 K. My roster had 8 d. Pretty sure they won't carry 8 next season.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
I included McAvoy at max hit of 925 K. My roster had 8 d. Pretty sure they won't carry 8 next season.

So i have started reading up and looking at video of this kid McAvoy. Did not pay much attention to hockey this summer. His size is eerily similar to Ray Bourque when he was a kid. They say great skater who likes to hit also. Now i am not saying the kid can be Bourque. But i have read where he can be a true number one. Like a Doughty/Suter type of guy. I have also read he has number 3-4-5 potential. I am looking forward to the WJT so i can watch him 5-6 games myself, But where do you see the kid in the NHL if you don't mind me asking ?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So i have started reading up and looking at video of this kid McAvoy. Did not pay much attention to hockey this summer. His size is eerily similar to Ray Bourque when he was a kid. They say great skater who likes to hit also. Now i am not saying the kid can be Bourque. But i have read where he can be a true number one. Like a Doughty/Suter type of guy. I have also read he has number 3-4-5 potential. I am looking forward to the WJT so i can watch him 5-6 games myself, But where do you see the kid in the NHL if you don't mind me asking ?

I see him with the Boston Bruins, as a top pair defenceman.

You say you've read where he has 3-4-5 potential? Can you give me the link to where you read that? I need a good laugh in the morning. (Especially where someone said he has #5 potential - because that's bottom pair, and I sure as heck don't see that as his potential).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

What makes you think that?

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
I see him with the Boston Bruins, as a top pair defenceman.

You say you've read where he has 3-4-5 potential? Can you give me the link to where you read that? I need a good laugh in the morning. (Especially where someone said he has #5 potential - because that's bottom pair, and I sure as heck don't see that as his potential).

I actually think it said second pairing. It was about a week ago i will see if i can find it. So top pair dman. Is his game similar to Bourques at all ?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I actually think it said second pairing. It was about a week ago i will see if i can find it. So top pair dman. Is his game similar to Bourques at all ?

Sorry, I don't make comparissons,especially to Ray Bourque

There seems to be some confusion between a players potential and where you would project them to be, on this board.

My apologies ;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I want to apologize for outing you but you go after my man Don, I'm pinning my ears back and coming off the edge. Next time be a Sweeney guy and I got your back but any time I can take out a hater got to do it.

Not personal it's business

Also McAvoy projects as a top 4 hopefully top pair

I saw Bourque entire career probably 600 games live and he's the best all around defenseman I've ever seen- had he been drafted by Montreal he's the defensive comparable to Jean Beliveau

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
I want to apologize for outing you but you go after my man Don, I'm pinning my ears back and coming off the edge. Next time be a Sweeney guy and I got your back but any time I can take out a hater got to do it.

Not personal it's business

Also McAvoy projects as a top 4 hopefully top pair

I saw Bourque entire career probably 600 games live and he's the best all around defenseman I've ever seen- had he been drafted by Montreal he's the defensive comparable to Jean Beliveau

Seeing him his whole career was a pleasure for me as well. Thats why McAvoy has me excited.Guess it is hard to compare to a legend.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Seeing him his whole career was a pleasure for me as well. Thats why McAvoy has me excited.Guess it is hard to compare to a legend.

After Orr it's Bourque

I'm a homer but I'd not hesitate to take Ray over anyone else from Lindstrom to Potvin to Stevens

Harry didn't go extra yard to surround him with a team that could win it all after 1984

Although I do think in 1990 had they won triple OT they have a great shot at winning the Cup- that was changer

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
After Orr it's Bourque

I'm a homer but I'd not hesitate to take Ray over anyone else from Lindstrom to Potvin to Stevens

Harry didn't go extra yard to surround him with a team that could win it all after 1984

Although I do think in 1990 had they won triple OT they have a great shot at winning the Cup- that was changer

Glen Wesley could have changed it. Potvin is better then Lidstrom. I think the guy is over rated. Maybe it is just me, but I like my Defensemen to hit and wear down opponents but some guys get a pass. Lids is one of them.

Sweeney sure got lucky, Thats for sure.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
And I had it with using a 74 million cap.

I suppose the it's hard to call it cap hell when you can pretty much bring your entire team back without much problem. So cap hell is probably the wrong word.

And I don't expect them to bring back the same team. I have no confidence they can move Hayes or Belesky with their current production.

Kevan or McQuaid I think can be moved, your just not getting anything back and some teams/GMs will have no interest, while some I think will.

I guess the best way to look at it is a pricey acquisition this summer to upgrade the forward or D-corps is probably unrealistic.

I think how the Spooner situation plays out is the wild-card here.

Wild-card No.2 - Do any of the Bruins NCAA talent (McAvoy, Bjork, JFK) graduated to the big club this April and do any of them make an impact.

And this is what matters. As you point out, they aren't in "cap hell" if they can bring everybody back and be under the cap. But if "everybody" isn't a very good team, then so what? And that's the problem. There's too many players I don't want back.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry, I don't make comparissons,especially to Ray Bourque

I get it. I am just excited that he could be special. Trying to get a appraisal of his game.

I will throw one out for fun but I've only seen McAvoy live a few times but here goes

Brad McCrimmon

Brad was drafted 15th by Boston and was a bull, a stay at homer but had an offensive game but he chose to batten down the hatches first

He could deliver a big hit and was a great support the play guy

He once had a +83 and ranks near the top All time

His style was what McAvoy features to me anyways - strong skater strong infront of the net

Good offense but knows his priorities

McCrimmon was a captain and McAvoy probably will wear a letter. Brad was called Sarge for a reason - just a beast

Ironically right team and right draft but different guy

Bourque went 8 and McCrimmon 15 in 1979 draft arguably the greatest 2 for 2 in NHL draft history certainly by defense

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

He will get more opportunity than others simply because of his draft position. While I honestly think the best D prospect is a toss up between Carlo, Lauzon, and McAvoy as each brings a different game and different pros/cons. Carlo has the reach, Lauzon has the offensive game, and McAvoy seems to bring a combination of the 2 but is the smaller of the 3.

I think what we need to do here is understand as a collective that chances are not in the favour of having all of these prospects pan out. If 2 of Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Zboril end up living to their potential. We are likely looking at a contending team in the near future. That is just our top-end D talent, our 2nd tier D prospects could easily become icing on the cake.

I'll crap on Don for plenty of things I think he could have done better (Icing a better team this season for example). I will crap on him for not firing Sacco. I still don't like the Hamilton trade, especially after seeing how Winnipeg handled a similar situation and came out on top. I also think he should have moved down in both drafts and picked up extra picks instead of reaching. I also think that we shouldn't have added anything last season at the deadline. Like all GMs in the league, he has some good moves, some bad moves. I think his future as the GM here lies solely right now at what he has done at the draft table. This was the one area that Chiarelli failed at miserably.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney upgrade with Backes looked like an upgrade across the board :biglaugh:

Dominic Moore on 4th line has been very good

Adding Carlo

Chiller Killer & Morrow all have all shown improvement

Czarnik was signed like Vatrano and Acciari (and Krug) as undrafted college FA

Schaller has been a nice piece

Damn Sweeney has done nuttin' buh put us in hell:devdance: cap hell

I want to apologize for being balanced on this hatchet job thread I feel a bit guilty bringing in facts but I wasn't sure where to post it

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
He will get more opportunity than others simply because of his draft position. While I honestly think the best D prospect is a toss up between Carlo, Lauzon, and McAvoy as each brings a different game and different pros/cons. Carlo has the reach, Lauzon has the offensive game, and McAvoy seems to bring a combination of the 2 but is the smaller of the 3.

I think what we need to do here is understand as a collective that chances are not in the favour of having all of these prospects pan out. If 2 of Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Zboril end up living to their potential. We are likely looking at a contending team in the near future. That is just our top-end D talent, our 2nd tier D prospects could easily become icing on the cake.

I'll crap on Don for plenty of things I think he could have done better (Icing a better team this season for example). I will crap on him for not firing Sacco. I still don't like the Hamilton trade, especially after seeing how Winnipeg handled a similar situation and came out on top. I also think he should have moved down in both drafts and picked up extra picks instead of reaching. I also think that we shouldn't have added anything last season at the deadline. Like all GMs in the league, he has some good moves, some bad moves. I think his future as the GM here lies solely right now at what he has done at the draft table. This was the one area that Chiarelli failed at miserably.

For me, this is interesting. All of the post. To Lazoun, McAvoy and Zboril, we are deep. We have others as well. Problem for me is, We need a number one guy now. We have no time to waste. We are a win now team. IMO, Sweeney has been a C-plus which can be an A in two years. I just dont want to waste Chara's last two years and some of Bergie, Krejci, and Backes last prime years. Not to mention perhaps some of Rasks best years. Sweeney has drafted fine for me, I even liked the deals that he felt he had to do for Looch and Hamilton who i dont think to highly of anyway. I dont miss him.

But it is now for Sweeney to make an NHL caliber trade for a big winger who can score 25-30 and a number 1 or 2 dman. He has yet to execute a big deal to make us better on the ice. We have the chips and flexibility. I can wait till the deadline, but i would get it done soon. Playoffs are no lock.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For me, this is interesting. All of the post. To Lazoun, McAvoy and Zboril, we are deep. We have others as well. Problem for me is, We need a number one guy now. We have no time to waste. We are a win now team. IMO, Sweeney has been a C-plus which can be an A in two years. I just dont want to waste Chara's last two years and some of Bergie, Krejci, and Backes last prime years. Not to mention perhaps some of Rasks best years. Sweeney has drafted fine for me, I even liked the deals that he felt he had to do for Looch and Hamilton who i dont think to highly of anyway. I dont miss him.

But it is now for Sweeney to make an NHL caliber trade for a big winger who can score 25-30 and a number 1 or 2 dman. He has yet to execute a big deal to make us better on the ice. We have the chips and flexibility. I can wait till the deadline, but i would get it done soon. Playoffs are no lock.

Why trade when you have two 30+ in Marchand & Pastrnak

And last I looked they have a dozen prospects

Makes zero sense

Same with D- they have arguably top 5 (I've heard higher but being conservative) D pool in the game so why not let develop

Every thing in life doesn't have to be treated like fast food drive thru

If I'm Sweeney I'm developing not trading for a big scorer or 1 D

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I will throw one out for fun but I've only seen McAvoy live a few times but here goes

Brad McCrimmon

Brad was drafted 15th by Boston and was a bull, a stay at homer but had an offensive game but he chose to batten down the hatches first

His style was what McAvoy features to me anyways - strong skater strong infront of the net

McCrimmon was a captain and McAvoy probably will wear a letter. Brad was called Sarge for a reason - just a beast

Bourque went 8 and McCrimmon 15 in 1979 draft arguably the greatest 2 for 2 in NHL draft history certainly by defense

Can Charlie jam?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'd like a youngish top-4 dman on a short deal to push McQuaid down to 3rd pairing. Tempting to wait out McAvoy & Lauzon however. I'm sure we can all agree that a Shattenkirk type in the top-4 right now would make this team instantly better. Puck moving and PP QB. I just don't think one is available at a reasonable cost. Not to mention contract status. Look at the contract Burns just signed at his age. Maybe Sweeney realizes this and his only sane play is to wait out his draft picks?

As far as the forwards go, I think the answer comes internally. JFK, Czarnik, Vatrano, some options here. Bergeron & Krejci off to slow starts. If they get healthy and pick up their games, things would be looking a lot better. I'm torn. I want a top-4 dman, but at what cost

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like a youngish top-4 dman on a short deal to push McQuaid down to 3rd pairing. Tempting to wait out McAvoy & Lauzon however. I'm sure we can all agree that a Shattenkirk type in the top-4 right now would make this team instantly better. Puck moving and PP QB. I just don't think one is available at a reasonable cost. Not to mention contract status. Look at the contract Burns just signed at his age. Maybe Sweeney realizes this and his only sane play is to wait out his draft picks?

As far as the forwards go, I think the answer comes internally. JFK, Czarnik, Vatrano, some options here. Bergeron & Krejci off to slow starts. If they get healthy and pick up their games, things would be looking a lot better. I'm torn. I want a top-4 dman, but at what cost
Don't you think though the right side will just work itself out

They got McAvoy Carlo C Miller K Miller McQuaid

Left side

Chara
Krug
Morrow
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Lindgren
Johansson

Lot of legit projects

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
Sweeney upgrade with Backes looked like an upgrade across the board :biglaugh:

Dominic Moore on 4th line has been very good

Adding Carlo

Chiller Killer & Morrow all have all shown improvement

Czarnik was signed like Vatrano and Acciari (and Krug) as undrafted college FA

Schaller has been a nice piece

Damn Sweeney has done nuttin' buh put us in hell:devdance: cap hell

I want to apologize for being balanced on this hatchet job thread I feel a bit guilty bringing in facts but I wasn't sure where to post it

Easily my biggest pet peeve with Bruins fans right now. Czarnik and Vatrano were both signed in March of 2015 by Chiarelli.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Brad McCrimmon

I hated seeing McCrimmon get traded (IIRC the hockey news had a cover with him and Bourque on it) but Pete Peters was awesome in 82/83.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Easily my biggest pet peeve with Bruins fans right now. Czarnik and Vatrano were both signed in March of 2015 by Chiarelli.

Ha ha believe what you want after all it's your belief system

and Jeff Gorton traded for Rask and drafted Lucic (that would be Chia)

I'll take Sweeney on this you can take Chiarelli who was focused on trying to get Cam to allow his job saving deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad