Status
Not open for further replies.

TNCHL

Yeet
Aug 3, 2014
Toronto
I can see it now - Leafs get 2nd overall pick and draft Eichel

"BUT COLLEGE BOOOYYY HURRR DURR WHY NOT ONTARIAH BOOOYYY STROME"

"The leafs should never draft another American, should've taken good ol Lawson crosse. He's the second coming of the legendary cam Neely!"

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I can see it now - Leafs get 2nd overall pick and draft Eichel

"BUT COLLEGE BOOOYYY HURRR DURR WHY NOT ONTARIAH BOOOYYY STROME"

You do realise that Leafs have pretty much no chance of drafting 2nd right?

Maybe 3rd.. and if they draft Hannifin and not Strome... watch out for Grapes. :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of the leaf's biggest problems of the past has been rushing prospects - they're taking their time with guys like Brown, and now they're also getting critizied? It makes no sense.

Not to mention the Marlies are in the playoff race, and the leafs are a mess - what an awful situation to bring a developing prospect to.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
One of the leaf's biggest problems of the past has been rushing prospects - they're taking their time with guys like Brown, and now they're also getting critizied? It makes no sense.

Not to mention the Marlies are in the playoff race, and the leafs are a mess - what an awful situation to bring a developing prospect to.

But Don Cherry says they should bring the prospects up, so he's got to be right.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Is anyone more out of touch than Cherry?

Brown is a rookie in the AHL and one of our very few promising young prospects. He's having a fantastic season in the Marlies who are pushing hard for that 8th playoff spot after a very bad start to the season. What is going to be better for Brown's development - leading the Marlies to the playoff or playing 8 minutes a night on one of the worst/most dysfunctional teams in the NHL?

It is obvious that Brown is much more important to this team's future than Bailey (at this point anyways). Bailey can turn out to be absolutely nothing, but he may turn into a find. The only way to be able to have the opportunity to know is by doing exactly what the Leafs did. This is how the NHL works.

Furthermore, with regards to the Leafs not drafting an CHL players and being "in love" with college players, let's take a look at the last 5 Leafs drafts.

CHL Players

Valiev
Gauthier
Verhaeghe
Bibeau
Rielly
Finn
Brown
Rupert
Percy
Leivo
Broll
Sparks
Ross
McKegg
Carrick
Nicholls

Out of the last 33 picks, the Leafs have chosen 16 from the CHL.

I'm all for being passionate about being Canadian but Cherry needs to do some research before speaking.
There are other areas of the world producing great players (i.e. Sweden) and the Leafs have done a pretty phenomenal job of drafting out of Sweden in those 5 years as well.

P.S. The two players Cherry says he 'read' that the Leafs are looking at out of Minnesota-Duluth (NCAA) are Leafs draft picks (Cameranesi and Toninato). Wake up big guy.

For comparison, they have drafted 8 players who are/were going the NCAA route (including Biggs since he played there in his draft+1 year before going to Oshawa). Meanwhile, the Kings, who he mentioned as being full of good ol' Canadian boys, have drafted 10 players from/headed to the NCAA. :sarcasm:

As to the bolded, if he were to do any research before giving his opinion, what would he have to rant about during Coach's Corner? :laugh:

horner

May 22, 2007
Thanks for clearing what he said.

I agree leave the kids on the Marlies, Bailey will be on the Marlies next yr.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Drafting players out of the NCAA/Europe also gives the Leafs 4 years of control before having to sign them rather than 2 years.

The extra years of control allows them to have a better understanding of the player before signing them.

Maybe Cherry doesn't know that there are 50 player contract limits that the NHL teams must abide by.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
cherry uses kings as exhibit A

lots of canadian players from canadian minor leagues !

enough with the college guys

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Well, you could make an argument that the same old Leafs culture. Rewarding guys for doing nothing, essentially. Bailey is not some grade A prospect and Brown has had a good season busting his butt all year.

It is more about the Leafs culture than anything.

You never know, If he turns into a great top 6 player well then we made a good signing. It's not about how good he is per say. It's more of the fact that if we did not offer playing time we would not have got him. Simple as that. Should we not go after college players with potential aggressively because Brown is in the AHL?

It's not a culture thing, it's business.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
cherry uses kings as exhibit A

lots of canadian players from canadian minor leagues !

enough with the college guys

Yet they wouldn't be able to win, if they didn't have a guy from Slovenia, that plays like your prototype C from Canada. But Cherry wouldn't take him, even if he was the next coming of Jesus.
Maybe we should draft just Canadians this draft and then be sorry as for last time that we had 3 1st round picks.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Well, you could make an argument that the same old Leafs culture. Rewarding guys for doing nothing, essentially. Bailey is not some grade A prospect and Brown has had a good season busting his butt all year.

It is more about the Leafs culture than anything.

Cherry is showing he doesn't have a clue of the rules or common sense with player management.

I guess by Cherry's theory, we throw away a free top NCAA prospect, just so our AHL guys can come up & play 7 mins of a meaningless game.

For those that say Bailey has done nothing, Brown has played 1 year Tier II, then 3 years OHL & 1 year AHL. Bailey played 2 years Tier II, then 1 year USHL, then 3 years NCAA & is 3 years older than Brown & more physically mature.

Bailey has put in his time, just a different route. He was one of the top rated NCAA free agents & is a Hobey Baker candidate. He is required to play with the Leafs to burn his 1st year ELC. This was a necessity to sign him. No burnt year, no deal & best of all for the Leafs, no trades, it's a freebie.

Bailey will start with the Marlies next year to gain the experience & I think Brown will get time up next year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No surprise that most on here do not have a hot clue about what Cherry is talking about!

Given vs earned!

You all praise Detroit for the way they handle their prospects.....but are now a bunch of hypocrites when Cherry points out the same thing!

He could not be more correct.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

But no ones talking about Chicago, who is as close to a modern day NHL dynasty as you may find, doing the exact same thing.

Which prospect in the minors does Chicago have doing well? On Connor Brown's level?

I'll answer that for you. Mark McNeill - 36 points in 52 games. That's their youngest guy doing well. Brown has 51 points in 64 games, leading the Marlies (which McNeill isn't doing for the Blackhawks farm team.)

You guys are making it sound like coming out of the NCAA is better then coming out of junior. It's not any better or worse, but the point is, what does this tell your prospects? That it doesn't matter how well you play, all that matters is that you have the leverage to play this season?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No surprise that most on here do not have a hot clue about what Cherry is talking about!

Given vs earned!

You all praise Detroit for the way they handle their prospects.....but are now a bunch of hypocrites when Cherry points out the same thing!

So basically, what you are saying is, that you didn't want Bailey to sign here.
it's not hypocrtical, it's applying the situation to what you have here.

You have a free agent that 1/2 the league wanted
a free agent your head of player development said would be worth having in the system
you can not put him on the marlies this season because the rules say so.
the free agent says "I only want to sign with a team that will allow me to burn a year."

so you go "nope, sorry, gonna only go with players who want to play in the AHL first, sorry."

Chicago does it/did it.
I think DeKeyser? did it (who, may I add, played with Detroit).

it's not all apples and apples here.

so no, Cherry couldn't be more correct because its either not have the player vs. having another asset in your system period in this situation.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So basically, what you are saying is, that you didn't want Bailey to sign here.
it's not hypocrtical, it's applying the situation to what you have here.

You have a free agent that 1/2 the league wanted
a free agent your head of player development said would be worth having in the system
you can not put him on the marlies this season because the rules say so.
the free agent says "I only want to sign with a team that will allow me to burn a year."

so you go "nope, sorry, gonna only go with players who want to play in the AHL first, sorry."

Chicago does it/did it.
I think DeKeyser? did it (who, may I add, played with Detroit).

it's not all apples and apples here.

so no, Cherry couldn't be more correct because its either not have the player vs. having another asset in your system period in this situation.

Wow talk about missing the point!

I said that Cherry point is bang on....we need to let players earn their roster spots....Cherry talked about all the call ups as well and not just the signing. Did you miss that?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
There is no reason to expose prospects to this ****show. They would gain nothing.

And yet we just exposed another one to it. All in all, if we weren't so frickin terrible we couldn't promise him ice time.

People still watch Cherry and actually take what he says to heart these days?? You crazy kids you.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Given vs earned!

We praise Detroit for developing properly. What exactly do you think most here are alluding to when they're saying leave Brown and others in the AHL? Detroit signed this kid named Dekeyser a few years ago and handed him a spot just like we're doing here, just like many other teams do as well. I'd say we're doing it Detroits way.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Cherry's almost done, kids. With Rogers taking over, and this guy getting even more senile as time goes on I'm not sure how much longer we'll have coaches corner. Enjoy the gig while it lasts... at least we'll always have the Rock em Sock em tapes..

(Insert cheesey 90s dance music -bum-tis-bum-tis).. "Beauty!!!!"

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
LOL....my god are you wrong!

He went 3rd overall in the NHL draft!

Yikes, it's all about reading comprehension my friend. First read the initial point, and then ready the response. All will be more clearer :)

As for Cherry. I don't think he understands that if we didn't offer playing time he would have signed elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad