Don Cherry's rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Paying your dues.

He felt Leafs should be giving Connor Brown a chance instead of letting Bailey just sign out of college and be inserted to play.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I can see it now - Leafs get 2nd overall pick and draft Eichel

"BUT COLLEGE BOOOYYY HURRR DURR WHY NOT ONTARIAH BOOOYYY STROME"

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Love Cherry but he is past his due date. Leafs should be accumulating the best talent available regardless of where they were born. They should also develop them properly not rush them to the NHL? Don should fade into the sunset. He has no idea f the CBA and why Bailey signed here.
Bob Cole s not far behind.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
I was just thinking about that the other day when Bailey arrived, wonder if it pisses any of the guys busting their ***** in the minors held back while a guy gets a crack at an nhl job straight out of college (probably for the best given our current situation though)

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He was annoyed at the fact Leafs management chose to sign another college free agent instead of giving a prospect like Brown a chance, and then referenced the Leafs top line being -100 and college developed to pour salt on the wound

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
He's an idiot. If the Leafs didn't give Bailey a spot in the NHL they wouldn't have Bailey period. The other guys are better off in the AHL anyway. Although the players may not see it that way, that's how it is.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Is anyone really surprised? In Don Cherry's world, where you come from is more important than how good of a hockey player you are.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I was just thinking about that the other day when Bailey arrived, wonder if it pisses any of the guys busting their ***** in the minors held back while a guy gets a crack at an nhl job straight out of college (probably for the best given our current situation though)
Of course it bothers them. Anyone that thinks it wouldn't is clueless.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Probably not. Or at least none of the guys who have a real future here. Bailey is 23 and paid his dues in college instead of the other guys who paid their dues in junior and the minors.

Same end goal, different paths. Bailey likely doesn't have nearly as much room as these guys to prove they can play either though.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Don't worry. If they had called up Brown and was playing him with this dismal Leafs team, Cherry would be ranting that the Leafs were ruining him by playing him 13 minutes in a bad atmosphere.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I'm all for rewarding players but at this point it's in Browns best interest to not be in this dumpster fire. He's going to play with the Leafs eventually obviously.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is anyone more out of touch than Cherry?

Brown is a rookie in the AHL and one of our very few promising young prospects. He's having a fantastic season in the Marlies who are pushing hard for that 8th playoff spot after a very bad start to the season. What is going to be better for Brown's development - leading the Marlies to the playoff or playing 8 minutes a night on one of the worst/most dysfunctional teams in the NHL?

It is obvious that Brown is much more important to this team's future than Bailey (at this point anyways). Bailey can turn out to be absolutely nothing, but he may turn into a find. The only way to be able to have the opportunity to know is by doing exactly what the Leafs did. This is how the NHL works.

Furthermore, with regards to the Leafs not drafting an CHL players and being "in love" with college players, let's take a look at the last 5 Leafs drafts.

CHL Players

Valiev
Gauthier
Verhaeghe
Bibeau
Rielly
Finn
Brown
Rupert
Percy
Leivo
Broll
Sparks
Ross
McKegg
Carrick
Nicholls

Out of the last 33 picks, the Leafs have chosen 16 from the CHL.

I'm all for being passionate about being Canadian but Cherry needs to do some research before speaking. There are other areas of the world producing great players (i.e. Sweden) and the Leafs have done a pretty phenomenal job of drafting out of Sweden in those 5 years as well.

P.S. The two players Cherry says he 'read' that the Leafs are looking at out of Minnesota-Duluth (NCAA) are Leafs draft picks (Cameranesi and Toninato). Wake up big guy.

Rufio65*

Unfortunetly this is business. A shame Cherry doesn't understand that.

Well, you could make an argument that the same old Leafs culture. Rewarding guys for doing nothing, essentially. Bailey is not some grade A prospect and Brown has had a good season busting his butt all year.

It is more about the Leafs culture than anything.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Lol everyone knows part of the Bailey deal involved burning a year off his ELC and other teams were offering the same deal without question.

Besides the paycheck (which I know would be really nice for the AHL guys to get) it's really not much of a reward to play with this group of losers. You would be better off playing on the Marlies with a true team mentality and players that actually want to win games.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
There is no reason to expose prospects to this ****show. They would gain nothing.

Exactly. I'm glad Brown is staying where he is.

Don Cherry has been senile for years now. This team is doing the best thing it's done in years: Tank.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Keeping C. Brown and Nylander down in the Marlies is one of the smartest things management has done this year.

No point bringing them up to get slaughtered in this garbage mess that is the Leafs. Let them have some consistency and develop chemistry. They know they'll be here next year. They know they're the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis