Do the Florida Panthers have what it takes to repeat next year?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
lost montour to seattle...also losing ekman-larsson to the leafs....

i think its gonna be hard for them to repeat next year...

Montour is a loss, but Ekman-Larsson is easily replaceable and I think they are actually improved at forward with a re-vamped fourth line.

I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to see them back in the mix.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They could make the finals again. I don't see them winning the cup tho. They will be a weaker team next playoffs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Three straight finals is only a feat done by Tampa since.... the early 80s?

It's hard to keep the engine finely tuned for that long, and Tampa was a better team than this Florida iteration.

My opinion is that it won't happen.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Making it to the finals 3 straight years is a lot to ask of a team. It’s just so mentally and physically exhausting playing that much hockey over the course of three years…. I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The D core is a question. But so was it last season. We played near 30 games to start the season with

Forsling-OEL
Mikkola-Mahura
Kulikov-Balinskis

as our top 6 and did fine

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That's great. 1 team in the last 40 years. There was no cap, no real free agency, money wasn't as big an issue 40 years ago. And 76% of the league made the playoffs, which would be the equivalent of Seattle or Calgary making it last year.

Could Florida do it? Sure. But they should at least get to the Final again? That is a tall order, no matter how good Florida is. Bob is 36 in Sept. Reinhart is a career average 30g guy(even with the Panthers prior to last year) who jumped to 60 in his UFA year. Can he do that again? Does Florida need him to do that again? Only time will tell.
Um what? You do realize Tampa went to the finals 3 straight years just 2 seasons ago right? Mostly under the same set of rules currently in place...

The Pens went to two straight twice in less less than 10 years. The Hawks and our Kings were the only ones stopping each other from 3 straight.

Is it difficult? Absolutely. Is it this near impossible scenario you're describing? Absolutely not

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Um what? You do realize Tampa went to the finals 3 straight years just 2 seasons ago right? Mostly under the same set of rules currently in place...

The Pens went to two straight twice in less less than 10 years. The Hawks and our Kings were the only ones stopping each other from 3 straight.

Is it difficult? Absolutely. Is it this near impossible scenario you're describing? Absolutely not

Not to take anything away from Tampa, but Those were 70 / 56 game seasons. One of the most commonly cited reasons for why it's so hard to get back to a third straight Finals is fatigue, and I would say that the Lightning had a bit of an edge over the Panthers there.

I do think fatigue will be a factor for the team this season, but we'll see.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Three straight finals is only a feat done by Tampa since.... the early 80s?

It's hard to keep the engine finely tuned for that long, and Tampa was a better team than this Florida iteration.

My opinion is that it won't happen.
And they did it with a shortened season

82 makes it brutal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not really about them per se, it's about who can usurp them. Quite frankly, I don't see much in this Eastern Conference that can usurp them right now. Probably Boston and NYR will threaten then again. That's about it.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It depends how motivated they are. Almost always once a team wins it all, the drive has taken a hit.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Chances of repeat is highly unlikely. Though Tampa did it in 2020-2021 so it's possible but odds are against it.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Three straight Finals in this era seems unlikely

EDIT: Actually Tampa did it, but two of those were rona shortened so there's probably a difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad