Does Marner get Boo’d?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
if that help to keep the play alive, yes for sure

a short backend pass in the perfect spot in no space between 4 defender to let matthews make a play, no its not a basic play sorry

a you really serious. Domi made a fantastic defensive play... he made a pass into space without nobody between him and robertson and robertson pass had been deflected by pitts D. Do you really comparing a short pass into pass into pass with no pressure and and missed shited pass vs a perfect lifted pass a the perfect spot between 4 defender? You're really serious?!?!?!

Domi is a excellent passer, no doubt but this one was a basic one but he's the rigjt who created it for sure.

watch matthews gm 6 goal who was in front of vasi and attract 3 D on him to create a huge screen on Vasilevskiy who never had time to see matthews shot?

gm 4 who lift stick kucherov and won a 1v2 battle on the board on rielly tying goal?

Marner cant play like matthews, he dont have Matthews body... He need to play smarter, using his stick much more, get a better positionning to be able to win the same battle. Marner if he want to have an impact, its with his speed and his ability to lift stick or be in passing lane and not with physical game because he will be outplayed for sure like Nylander, liljegren, robertson, sandin, brodie, rielly, cowan,
Agreed, in the game 6 goal, Marner is providing a screen. A screen is a basic NHL play that anyone can do. Difference between the screen play I showed by Matthews is that Tampa had possession, Matthews forechecked, threw a hit, knocked the puck loose, recovered puck, passed puck to Marner...then headed to front of net and provided screen AND tipped the puck. The play by Marner, all Marner provides is the screen. Which is still important, but he isnt the play driver on this goal. He contributes. These two plays are not comparable.

What is incresible about Matthews, on the screen goal and the game 5 gwg is that he doesnt just throw a hit... he throws hit, recovers possession, makes a play to keep possession and without hesitation is in the attack and makes a key play to score... on the screen, he gets in a tip possition in front of the net. In the game 5 goal...he literally pivots out od the hit makes a pass and without hesitation does a 180 and is on a 2-1.

On the Bunting goal... Matthews does two of three. Tampa has possession, Matthews throws a hit, disloging the puck, and tips the puck to Marner While falling.

Marner got points on all three of these plays. But these are plays all driven by an NHL superstar and top 2 player in the game with an incredible mix of strength and talent.

As I notes earlier, Marnwr and Nylander have played with Tavares about the same amount of mina in the Playoffs.

However Marner has played a whopping 253 more minutes with Matthews than Nylander.

That also means, Nylander has played 253 mins with Kerfoots and Galchenyuks...while Marner was playing with Matthews. But I guess one would expect to produce just as much with Matthews as a linemate as Kerfoot? After watching Matthews in those clips, who would you pick?

Playoffs
Marner 5v5 with:
Matthews: 439 mins
Tavares: 237 mins

Nylander 5v5 with:
Matthews: 186 mins
Tavares: 235 mins

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agreed, in the game 6 goal, Marner is providing a screen. A screen is a basic NHL play that anyone can do. Difference between the screen play I showed by Matthews is that Tampa had possession, Matthews forechecked, threw a hit, knocked the puck loose, recovered puck, passed puck to Marner...then headed to front of net and provided screen AND tipped the puck. The play by Marner, all Marner provides is the screen. Which is still important, but he isnt the play driver on this goal. He contributes. These two plays are not comparable.

if Marner dont help to screen by attrack 3 tampa D with him to screen vasi, Matthews would never score. and just before the screen him and jt forecheck force tampa d to make a mistake and gave the puck back to toronto. You dont need.

What is incresible about Matthews, on the screen goal and the game 5 gwg is that he doesnt just throw a hit... he throws hit, recovers possession, makes a play to keep possession and without hesitation is in the attack and makes a key play to score... on the screen, he gets in a tip possition in front of the net. In the game 5 goal...he literally pivots out od the hit makes a pass and without hesitation does a 180 and is on a 2-1.

gm5 gwg is Bunting who made all this possible... he made mcdonaugh lost the puck and create a speed fight between mcdonaugh and matthews for the puck... Yes Matthews hit mcdonaugh and bring him back the puck but the job had been done by bunting. Both marner and matthews finished whats bunting started

on Matthews screen, this play happened because of both forecheck of Matthews and Marner who froze the D and Matthews been able to steal the puck. If matrhews would be alone, it would be a easy pass and nothing would happened. How both playes forced a turnover.

a goal in playoff a rarely a result of only 1 player who driving it...

On the Bunting goal... Matthews does two of three. Tampa has possession, Matthews throws a hit, disloging the puck, and tips the puck to Marner While falling.
Same story if Matthews would be alone, it would be an easy exit for tampa for the fact marner cancelled the only option left, Matthews been able to steal the puck

Marner got points on all three of these plays. But these are plays all driven by an NHL superstar and top 2 player in the game with an incredible mix of strength and talent.

As I notes earlier, Marnwr and Nylander have played with Tavares about the same amount of mina in the Playoffs.

However Marner has played a whopping 253 more minutes with Matthews than Nylander.

That also means, Nylander has played 253 mins with Kerfoots and Galchenyuks...while Marner was playing with Matthews. But I guess one would expect to produce just as much with Matthews as a linemate as Kerfoot? After watching Matthews in those clips, who would you pick?

Playoffs
Marner 5v5 with:
Matthews: 439 mins
Tavares: 237 mins

Nylander 5v5 with:
Matthews: 186 mins
Tavares: 235 mins

And why Nylander didn't play with Matthews in playoff? they was awful together and was outplayed. Tje only goal theu scored together without marner is boston gm 7 when carlo felt on the ice and gave up a free 2v1.

His production by 60 played with Matthews in playoff is basically his worst with any player. This season it was the 1st time leafs been able to find someone ( domi) to play with matrhews outside of marner to split them

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just because you are spending a lot of time and effort posting stats but ignored this, I figured you may want to respond but may have missed it, it'll be fun to see why primary points matter sometimes and don't other times.

Oh, I want to play this game.

Marner fans love to point to stats when they favor Marner, but avoid applying the same standard when they don’t.
For example:
2024:
  • Domi primary assists (5v5): 1.43/60
  • Marner primary assists (5v5): 1.13/60
  • Domi 5v5 points: 2.73/60
  • Marner 5v5 points: 2.68/60
So by that logic, Domi isn’t just a better playmaker than Marner, but a better scorer too? Please advise.
A better way to assess Marner’s playoff value is to actually watch the goals and see who the real play driver is versus who’s riding coattails. Meghan Chayka’s research shows play drivers don’t always get the primary assist, and sometimes aren’t even credited for a point. I’ve done this before for goals in the playoffs and more often than not, Marner isn’t the key driver.
Why are you using primary assists and then all points (there is no need to answer, I know why)

5v5 primary points/60:

Matthews: 2.58
Marner: 2.02
Robertson: 1.93
Nylander: 1.90
Domi: 1.89

Thoughts?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The more I rewatch games, the more mistakes by Marner, especially on goals against. Some posters keep insisting he's a defensive expert, but I honestly can't think of a worse defensive player on the team.

Case in point: Game 2 vs Boston. Marner was the weak link on both goals against, completely losing his coverage and allowing Boston to score easily both times. Thankfully, the Leafs won 3-2 thanks to Matthews and Domi, but the $11 million man, Marner, was responsible for both Boston’s goals.

Boston's 1-0 goal on the power play: Marner is caught standing flat-footed and upright. A cross-crease pass happens right under his nose, and his man scores with no resistance.

1726361679136.png

Boston goal #2
Marner isnt paying attention and Pasta sneaks behind him for the easy goal.

1726361732102.png

@Dekes For Days if you dont believe the stills, here is the video (below) looking forward to hearing you explain again how he defended these correctly

@thusk and @notbias watch these plays and tell me your thoughts.

So Ive watched game 2, Marner was the reason for both goals against in a 3-2 win, ive watched all of 4 and he was a big reason for 2 of those goals in a 3-1 loss, and he was a reason for the game 7 ot winner. Ive yet to even watch.Games 1,3,5,6 and hes racked up an incredible list of bad defensive highlights. We also have the video of him avoiding the hit.

Not to mention 6 gwg against mess ups dating back to Montreal series.

And people still want to call this guy great defensively? What?! Hes single handedly losing playoffs for this team and hes bwing paid 13% of cap to do it.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
@Dekes For Days if you dont believe the stills, here is the video (below) looking forward to hearing you explain again how he defended these correctly

This is now the second time you've tagged me since claiming that you're not going to talk to me anymore. At least this time it's to post the video you promised 10 days ago, right? Nope! It's a completely different video, that doesn't even work in Canada. I have no interest in explaining plays to you again anyway. Been there, tried that. You didn't acknowledge what happened or accept that you were wrong the last time, and no matter what anybody says, you will never accept Marner for the great defensive player that he objectively is.

Reactions: francis246

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is now the second time you've tagged me since claiming that you're not going to talk to me anymore. At least this time it's to post the video you promised 10 days ago, right? Nope! It's a completely different video, that doesn't even work in Canada. I have no interest in explaining plays to you again anyway. Been there, tried that. You didn't acknowledge what happened or accept that you were wrong the last time, and no matter what anybody says, you will never accept Marner for the great defensive player that he objectively is.

Its not a matter of you not wanting to explain. Its that you are not capable of explaining away the obvious truths that are on video.

Very hard to spin black and white evidence. Fact is fact and your lack of willingness to create a competent and rational rebuttal is proof in fact that you simply are not capable of such a feat.

Sometimes it just is what it is dekes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Its not a matter of you not wanting to explain. Its that you are not capable of explaining away the obvious truths that are on video.
Very hard to spin black and white evidence. Fact is fact and your lack of willingness to create a competent and rational rebuttal is proof in fact that you simply are not capable of such a feat.Sometimes it just is what it is dekes.
The truths are on video. They already show him to be wrong. I tried to go the extra mile at his request last time, and gave a detailed and thorough explanation of why and how he was wrong, but he's not interested in why he's wrong. What is the point of wasting my time again? Quite frankly, the very nature of the discussion is a waste of time, because we have much better ways to evaluate defensive performance than microanalyzing clips and stills.

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
the season needs to start so we can have something new to talk about, Marner included.

The same points from both sides, with neither really caring to have their views changes

Reactions: robertmac43

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The truths are on video. They already show him to be wrong. I tried to go the extra mile at his request last time, and gave a detailed and thorough explanation of why and how he was wrong, but he's not interested in why he's wrong. What is the point of wasting my time again? Quite frankly, the very nature of the discussion is a waste of time, because we have much better ways to evaluate defensive performance than microanalyzing clips and stills.

Youre not convincing many jurors here. The vast majority support what is plain to see. The polls suggest a departure in the support for Marner.

It doesnt matter how you slice it. Nano Micro Macro analysis. It is appropriate to conclude Marner struggles in the playoffs. Even AI quantum computers agree.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
the season needs to start so we can have something new to talk about, Marner included.

The same points from both sides, with neither really caring to have their views changes
I'm tired of the same old rerun that ends in failure so I want to see a 1-2 of Matty and Willie down the middle.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Nylander Jarnkrok
Patches/Robbie Tavares Marner
Dewar Kampf Reaves

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Marner cracking 100 points this year is more likely than not if he's healthy. Unfortunately, that production isn't meaningful in any way and shouldn't be an argument for an extension unless you've been pleased with this era.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I'm tired of the same old rerun that ends in failure so I want to see a 1-2 of Matty and Willie down the middle.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Nylander Jarnkrok
Patches/Robbie Tavares Marner
Dewar Kampf Reaves
I hear you, I’m also tired as hell of losing in game 7 of the first round, it’s gotten to the point that I don’t really feel sad anymore, prior years it would ruin my month or even the offseason, but this year I was fine after a day or two. I expected this

As for the 1-2 punch, I doubt very much that it works, nylander at Center, especially with those guys won’t work. I’d give him a try with Marner on his wing, otherwise it’s not a plan that’s going to work, you’d have better odds at trying domi 2C instead

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
WHat video did I not show? @francis246, who is a Marner supporter, posted the YT video of a blogger who breaks down the PK play and that blogger said exactly what I said...Marner is at fault for the PP goal against for playing his coverage wrong. You responded the blogger was a kid who knows nothing, didnt you?

Recall you said Marner defends the play correctly and the B made an incredible pass. You said Marner having his stick on the left side of the Bs player instead of the right side....was the RIGHT defensive play on this PK.

Attachments

• 1726423647142.png
    1726423647142.png
    662.1 KB · Views: 2

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
The mental gymnastics used to attack Marner on here is beyond ridiculous. He is an elite player period. He has more points in the playoffs then any other player on the team.

He will be awesome again this year and a good coach will keep him away from the best shut down players come playoffs.
:help:Hahaha.

Reactions: ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
WHat video did I not show?
The videos of all of the plays that you posted stills of, that you said you would post 11 days ago.
Recall you said Marner defends the play correctly and the B made an incredible pass. You said Marner having his stick on the left side of the Bs player instead of the right side....was the RIGHT defensive play on this PK.
No surprise that you got pretty much everything I said wrong. Further proof you don't listen, and this is a waste of time.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The more I rewatch games, the more mistakes by Marner, especially on goals against. Some posters keep insisting he's a defensive expert, but I honestly can't think of a worse defensive player on the team.

Case in point: Game 2 vs Boston. Marner was the weak link on both goals against, completely losing his coverage and allowing Boston to score easily both times. Thankfully, the Leafs won 3-2 thanks to Matthews and Domi, but the $11 million man, Marner, was responsible for both Boston’s goals.

Boston's 1-0 goal on the power play: Marner is caught standing flat-footed and upright. A cross-crease pass happens right under his nose, and his man scores with no resistance.

View attachment 907014

watch the replay carefully 1/2 second sooner liljegren had his stick in that passing lane. He change his stick of side and the half-second Marner need to react, the puck was on geekie stick. It was just a perfect timing pass

1000004189.jpg

Boston goal #2
Marner isnt paying attention and Pasta sneaks behind him for the easy goal.

View attachment 907015

Pasta was Benoit guy... he completly missed his coverage, become completly out of position and put their teammate in trouble. Marner cant covering mistake of everybody.

@thusk and @notbias watch these plays and tell me your thoughts.

So Ive watched game 2, Marner was the reason for both goals against in a 3-2 win, ive watched all of 4 and he was a big reason for 2 of those goals in a 3-1 loss, and he was a reason for the game 7 ot winner. Ive yet to even watch.Games 1,3,5,6 and hes racked up an incredible list of bad defensive highlights. We also have the video of him avoiding the hit.

Not to mention 6 gwg against mess ups dating back to Montreal series.

And people still want to call this guy great defensively? What?! Hes single handedly losing playoffs for this team and hes bwing paid 13% of cap to do it.

none of those 2 goal was about marner...

ot goal if you understand hockey, you should know than the first foward driving in offensive zone is D responsabilities... So it was all about rielly missing his 1v1 and samsonov frozen, Marner did exactly what he should.

Just funny how you trying to attribute everything happening on the ice when marner is on to marner fault... Leafs player missing his coverage = marner fault for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Practically fine but optically bad is like the tagline for most of these Marner criticisms, so that's ironic.
Nylander's job is not to stand in the defensive zone and completely miss the only attacking player and goal-scorer, as the closest defensively-set forward, and then disconnect his controller when he does notice.
Rielly's job is not to stand in the defensive zone and completely miss the only attacking player and goal-scorer, as the closest defenseman, and then fail to disrupt the shot.
Rielly's job is not to be first into the offensive zone, double back into the offensive zone when we've never actually gained the zone, and then be 4th man back on a goal against.
Matthews' job is not to fall down in center ice and fail to pick up the puck flipped to him.

Besides, you blame Marner for doing his job and his role when things don't work out perfectly, so why not everybody else?

The flip to neutral ice happens dozens of times a game on both sides. It's a common play, that only became a turnover because Matthews fell. The zone entry happens regardless, and while Marner isn't quite able to squeeze off an attacking player with way more momentum that shifts to the side at the last second and whips the stick out of his hands, there's a heck of a lot more to the eventual goal than a slowed down player wide on the boards in a 3v3 situation.

This "individual play" argument is just a way to cherry pick and craft a misleading narrative while ignoring the bigger picture.
But since it's so important to you, let's quickly look through the 2022 Tampa series.

In game 2, Matthews gives up the puck at the offensive blueline, and Tampa gets an odd man rush and scores the GWG. Nylander watches the goal scorer skate past him.
In game 4, Tavares fails his opportunity to cut off the player coming down the boards, and then fails to get in the way to block the shot, and they score.
In game 4, Rielly pushes up to center ice at a bad time, and lets a player get past him for an odd man rush and they score.
In game 4, Nylander fumbles the puck at the offensive blueline, and they get the puck and score.
In game 4, Tavares loses the puck in his feet in the offensive zone, and they grab the puck and score.
In game 6, Matthews scrums with a player mid-play instead of getting the puck right next to him. Tampa picks up the puck and Marner intercepts and passes it back to Matthews, which he also misses, and they score.
In game 7, on the series-winning goal right after Marner sets up a great chance, the puck comes back, and when it is in contention at our defensive blueline, Matthews turns up the ice for offense instead of getting back, and they score.

And that's just quickly looking at the things that happen within 5-10 seconds of a goal in one series, not 8 years of scouring every second of play for a perceived mistake.

Oh wait, we get to count basic penalties too!
Well Nylander took a tripping penalty in game 2.
Tavares took a hooking penalty in game 4.
Nylander took a holding penalty in game 5.
Rielly took a tripping penalty in game 6.

Get the tar and feathers ready! Before you notice that these kinds of things happen to every single player in the league. Hockey is a game of mistakes.

Marner is our best playoff producer, and yet you criticize his production because you've picked out some arbitrary games where Marner contributes to just as many goals as other core 4 members, but doesn't get rewarded for them with points to the same extent.

Marner is one of our best defensive players, who gets great defensive results and allows few goals against, and yet you criticize his defensive play because you've uniquely targeted him for every time a goal is scored while he's on the ice, while dismissing the same from everybody else, and the contributions from other linemates.

Marner is our best net penalty player through this era, and averages taking the 47th most penalties, and yet you criticize a fluke puck over glass penalty from years ago, while dismissing penalties from everybody else.

You never actually answered - If we're so worried about penalties, why are we going after our best net penalty player through this era and not the 46 players that averaged more penalties taken? If we're so worried about defensive miscues, why are we going after one of our best defensive players who rarely gets goals scored against them, instead of the many worse defensive players who bleed goals against? What exactly is the distinction between game 4 (which is Marner's best) and game 5? You acknowledged the stats are faulty, and the source of the discrepancy has already been identified, yet you keep referencing them.

Marner makes mistakes, but Marner's not doing anything unique. You just want to criticize Marner, and things tend to stick out for one individual when you focus so heavily on just one individual, with a pre-existing negative perception.

Ive bolded this statement of yours in the above post:
The flip to neutral ice happens dozens of times a game on both sides. It's a common play, that only became a turnover because Matthews fell
1) See the attached photo, with the puck circled. It clearly shows Matthews ahead of the puck and skating away from it, while a Tampa player (who just came off the bench) is between Matthews and the puck, skating towards it. Note that Matthews hasn’t fallen yet, even though you claimed his fall caused the turnover.

Using your understanding of physics, please explain how Matthews, moving away from the puck and being 10 feet ahead of it, was supposed to get there faster than the Tampa player, who is both closer to the puck and skating directly towards it.

#2) You seem to believe this was not a pass and a dump. Even if it wasnt a pass (which it was), do you think dumping a puck directly in front od rhe opponents bench was a wise decision on Marners part?

Attachments

• 1726433618416.png
    1726433618416.png
    522.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ive bolded this statement of yours in the above post:
1) See the attached photo, with the puck circled. It clearly shows Matthews ahead of the puck and skating away from it, while a Tampa player (who just came off the bench) is between Matthews and the puck, skating towards it. Note that Matthews hasn’t fallen yet, even though you claimed his fall caused the turnover.
Using your understanding of physics, please explain how Matthews, moving away from the puck and being 10 feet ahead of it, was supposed to get there faster than the Tampa player, who is both closer to the puck and skating directly towards it.
#2) You seem to believe this was not a pass and a dump. Even if it wasnt a pass (which it was), do you think dumping a puck directly in front od rhe opponents bench was a wise decision on Marners part?
So now you're responding to month-old posts to post more misleading stills and descriptions and repeat discussions we've already had multiple times. The puck is not dumped "directly in front of the opponent's bench". The puck is cleared to center ice in Matthews' direction. He overskates it a bit, and then falls as he turns to receive the puck coming towards him. He's the one in line to receive the puck (which you seem to forget is still in motion, going faster than the players) until the fall, and the fall is what allows the opposing player to pick up the puck right behind the center line, where Matthews was before the fall. Note that Matthews actually is already in the process of falling in your still. You can see both legs forward and him off balance. You just chose the most misleading split second before it was obvious.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
So now you're responding to month-old posts to post more misleading stills and descriptions and repeat discussions we've already had multiple times. The puck is not dumped "directly in front of the opponent's bench". The puck is cleared to center ice in Matthews' direction. He overskates it a bit, and then falls as he turns to receive the puck coming towards him. He's the one in line to receive the puck (which you seem to forget is still in motion, going faster than the players) until the fall, and the fall is what allows the opposing player to pick up the puck right behind the center line, where Matthews was before the fall. Note that Matthews actually is already in the process of falling in your still. You can see both legs forward and him off balance. You just chose the most misleading split second before it was obvious.
"Matthews was in line to receive the puck"? "Matthews overskated it" Was he supposed to be a mind reader, predicting the speed the puck would come off Marner’s stick? Also, what does "in line to receive the puck" even mean? I’ve never heard anyone say that before. But sure, if he was in line, the first in line was the Tampa player. Was it a pass or a clear? Are you saying it wasn’t a pass, but Matthews was still supposed to receive it? This is gold.

Okay, let’s say it was a clear. Why did Marner choose that spot to clear the puck? See the attached photo. The basic rule in the NHL is never clear it up the middle. Marner literally chose to send it over two Tampa players (red arrow), instead of going boards and out like any other smart play (yellow arrow). "Boards and out", you know, that thing coaches constantly preach? The only logical reason to go over two players is if he was trying to pass to Matthews.

It doesn’t matter if you want to argue it wasn’t a pass (it clearly was). Either way, both decisions were dumb. The smart play was boards and out, but Marner went for the hard, tricky option as usual. He hadn't learned from the flip he did against Montreal that went out of play, resultinfg in a penalty and cost the Leafs the series. But hey, it would’ve been ‘Magic Marner’ if it worked, and that’s all that seems to matter to Mitchy — because we all know how much he cares (about himself).

1726452505636.png

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
"Matthews was in line to receive the puck"? "Matthews overskated it" Was he supposed to be a mind reader, predicting the speed the puck would come off Marner’s stick? Also, what does "in line to receive the puck" even mean? I’ve never heard anyone say that before. But sure, if he was in line, the first in line was the Tampa player. Was it a pass or a clear? Are you saying it wasn’t a pass, but Matthews was still supposed to receive it? This is gold.

Okay, let’s say it was a clear. Why did Marner choose that spot to clear the puck? See the attached photo. The basic rule in the NHL is never clear it up the middle. Marner literally chose to send it over two Tampa players (red arrow), instead of going boards and out like any other smart play (yellow arrow). "Boards and out", you know, that thing coaches constantly preach? The only logical reason to go over two players is if he was trying to pass to Matthews.
Generally, when a player flips the puck out to neutral ice, the players skating up ice attempt to go where it is going to drop. You do not have to read minds to understand trajectory. In this instance, Matthews overskated that area by a bit, but the puck is still going towards him, not the Tampa player. As he turns to receive it, he falls, and that allows the Tampa player coming off the bench to pick up the puck from where Matthews was.

The puck is right up against the boards, and Marner doesn't have much time, making a "boards and out" play (which requires an angle) difficult. Matthews and that area of the ice is also pretty open when Marner is making that decision, while the near side boards in neutral ice were covered by a Tampa player. The general rule is about passing up through the middle of your zone, which didn't happen. It was flipped up high and out to neutral ice, and when doing that, you don't really want to lift it in line with the boards, as that puts you at high risk for an over the glass penalty.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner cracking 100 points this year is more likely than not if he's healthy. Unfortunately, that production isn't meaningful in any way and shouldn't be an argument for an extension unless you've been pleased with this era.
Had they beat CBJ and TTOE and had a decent showing in the 2nd rounds I think we’d be in a different mindset. But they didn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad