Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s 12 + in Toronto on a shorter term deal. In the better markets he’s 11+ on a long term
I'd pay to see what he can get on the open market. Willie getting $11.5m makes me want to puke as much as Mitch getting $10.9m 5 years ago did. It will be deja vu if the Leafs pay Marner more than Willie. At that point I hope they sell lots of jerseys for Pelley.

• Haha
Reactions: Al14

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
You could say that having a relatively easy first round has helped teams get to the finals.

With the East looking like it’ll be the weakest it’s been in years more teams may jockey for favourable positions, a la Boston, last season.
Easy first rounds are a big boost but can be tricky to find. Dallas finished first in the West and had the hardest path.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So its negotiating time, will he take 11+ and leave, or settle for 11 and stay?
I don’t think 11 is enough to stay in the Leafs market. It’s up to him, but I wouldn’t blame him for leaving if that’s the offer.
12x4 or 13x8

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Easy first rounds are a big boost but can be tricky to find. Dallas finished first in the West and had the hardest path.
Boston intentionally fell to 2nd last year to give themselves a chance at winning a round and hope that TB could upset FL, which was a ticket to the SCF.

I can’t see Florida having the energy to win the East this year so it looks like a bad team will be the SCF.

This is what over expansion and poor management does to the product. By now we should be seeing a changing at the middle, but we’re left with crap. Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Philly and NJD should be replacing TB, Tor, Car, and challenging Bos, FL for the East conference title, but they can’t, and Carolina or Rangers could actually make the SCF.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don’t think 11 is enough to stay in the Leafs market. It’s up to him, but I wouldn’t blame him for leaving if that’s the offer.
12x4 or 13x8
I’d just go with the advantage he wants to stay here. He claims he does. If the guy truly is a fan and wants to play for us and he already lives here , there is no way he leaves for less than a 10% raise. If he does, well than he wasn’t a real fan anyway and just chasing the cash.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’d just go with the advantage he wants to stay here. He claims he does. If the guy truly is a fan and wants to play for us and he already lives here , there is no way he leaves for less than a 10% raise. If he does, well than he wasn’t a real fan anyway and just chasing the cash.
He may want to stay, but it just costs more as the discount horse left the ranch yrs ago.

It has nothing to do with being a fan. That wore off yrs ago.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He may want to stay, but it just costs more as the discount horse left the ranch yrs ago.

It has nothing to do with being a fan. That wore off yrs ago.
Well good luck to him, but not when he is playing against us. lol! He isn’t worth a penny more than 11. He can determine the length of the deal 1to 8 years. I’d offer as much as allowed as a signing bonus and front loaded. It would be interesting to see another team top that offer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well good luck to him, but not when he is playing against us. lol! He isn’t worth a penny more than 11. He can determine the length of the deal 1to 8 years. I’d offer as much as allowed as a signing bonus and front loaded. It would be interesting to see another team top that offer.
He’s worth what he’ll get. Most other markets can simply say it’s not Toronto. That’s a big selling point.

Why they haven’t traded him is mind boggling. Their options are overpaying or letting him walk, which is poor asset management.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
$11m is not enough to stay here after he milked the Leafs for $66m and shit the bed every April? I'd applaud him if he turned down $11m and left.
Exactly he knows he robbed us on the RFA deal and that’s also the only reason I’d give him the 11. After all offering less than he currently makes would be a nonstarter.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
$11m is not enough to stay here after he milked the Leafs for $66m and shit the bed every April? I'd applaud him if he turned down $11m and left.
He’s making 11 million AAV this year and you’ think he’d stay for the same?

If he makes 15 million or 10 million he’s still the same player.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
9 mill tops is all he is worth
And, IMHO, even $9M is TOO MUCH.

For his REGULAR season efforts scoring points while avoiding contact, $8M would be all that I would pay !!!

Now, if he could duplicate his point scoring prowess in the playoffs, I'd accept paying him $10M AAV. Any more than that is a HUGE OVERPAY IMHO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s making 11 million AAV this year and you’d think he’d stay for the same?

If he makes 15 million or 10 million he’s still the same player.
Yup. I'd sign him at the right number but what I think and he thinks is the right number are miles apart. As you say, they should have traded him. Now they are left with overpaying to keep him or walking for nothing. You know they do not have the stomach to let him walk for nothing so they will repeat the same mistake they made with Willie. At that point, I have to force myself to get off this trainwreck.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yup. I'd sign him at the right number but what I think and he thinks is the right number are miles apart. As you say, they should have traded him. Now they are left with overpaying to keep him or walking for nothing. You know they do not have the stomach to let him walk for nothing so they will repeat the same mistake they made with Willie. At that point, I have to force myself to get off this trainwreck.
Not trading him isn’t really a big deal after all I think we would get a lesser player back anyway. Trading him for picks and using the 11 million on UFA’s would be better but that is the gamble

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm already OFF this train wreak.

I already don't buy any Leaf merchandise, nor do I accept Leaf merchandise as gifts.

I will not pay a dime to watch our Leafs play. Even when GIFTED Sens tickets, when our Leafs are in town, I outright reject them. I won't contribute anything to the Sens, including when our Leafs are playing them.

When I was coaching minor hockey and was looking for a 2nd team to cheer for, the Sens blew their chance by not sending their players to attend one of my teams practices as was promised. f*** the Sens and the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly he knows he robbed us on the RFA deal and that’s also the only reason I’d give him the 11. After all offering less than he currently makes would be a nonstarter.
That's a pretty big assumption.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's a pretty big assumption.
We could have been brutal with him but we weren’t. What did we buy for the 66 million 1 UFA year. lol! We were robbed if he doesn’t realize that somebody should explain it. What were his options? Play year to year for 4 years on an arbitrators decision or go to the KHL. We were more than fair with him, time to reciprocate or move on.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We could have been brutal with him but we weren’t. What did we buy for the 66 million 1 UFA year. lol! We were robbed if he doesn’t realize that somebody should explain it. What were his options? Play year to year for 4 years on an arbitrators decision or go to the KHL. We were more than fair with him, time to reciprocate or move on.
He signed the deal that was negotiated just like the rest.
From all appearances the team seems happy with his performance at that rate.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He signed the deal that was negotiated just like the rest.
From all appearances the team seems happy with his performance at that rate.
That’s great, if he feels he owes us nothing I have no animosity as you said it was negotiated. New round upcoming and I feel it’s a safe bet nobody is topping 11 million upfront as a signing bonus, I may listen to the NMC conditions… lol!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not trading him isn’t really a big deal after all I think we would get a lesser player back anyway. Trading him for picks and using the 11 million on UFA’s would be better but that is the gamble
It’s an even bigger gamble with Treliving at the helm. He’s setting up to waste the Cowan years, if Cowan actually turns out as hoped.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm wondering if Mitch realizes that yeah he can sign for 12 million a year and have to pay 1 million to a security firm to keep the angry rabid fans and media away. Or he could take 11 million and cut out all the bullshit.
He'll still need security and a good PR staff but taking a discount would go a long way to buying some goodwill from some of the fans who want him gone for as little as a bag of pucks.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That’s great, if he feels he owes us nothing I have no animosity as you said it was negotiated. New round upcoming and I feel it’s a safe bet nobody is topping 11 million upfront as a signing bonus, I may listen to the NMC conditions… lol!
We don't know what he 'feels' but he obviously slots in a bit above Nylander.
If he takes less as the more valued player, it will just make Nylanders deal look that much worse.
As a good teammate I don't think he'll want to add that extra pressure to Nylander.

• Haha
Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We don't know what he 'feels' but he obviously slots in a bit above Nylander.
If he takes less as the more valued player, it will just make Nylanders deal look that much worse.
As a good teammate I don't think he'll want to add that extra pressure to Nylander.
Unlike Mitch who probably thinks he owes us nothing, we are rewarding William because maybe he outperformed his past contract. Thankyou William good job.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad