Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don’t look at just one thing. Both can skate both can shoot but Tkachuk is a winner with winning habits. I like winners so as of the end of last season I think tkachuk is the better player. Matthews has potential, but it’s hard to overcome his lack of compete.

Winning habits. He’s won a memorial Cup, two Eastern titles and a Stanley Cup. I really like that. It’s not a fluke.

lol oh all of a sudden winning a memorial cup matters now and makes you a winner? Remind me who his line mates were

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s amazing we have all these super elite players like selke finalist/100 point pacer Marner and the “best goal scorer in the last 20 years” and yet we’ve only won one round in 8 years.

How can this be???!
I don’t forget what I’ve watched for the past 60 yrs. They’re good players, but when they don’t put forth the effort to win. That Nylander play in a game 7 down a goal with 3.5 minutes left was head scratching. That’s who they been and how they’re judged.

We’ve all watched Team Canada play down a goal in crucial game and the effort and determination is inspiring. These guys don’t play that way.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
It’s amazing we have all these super elite players like selke finalist/100 point pacer Marner and the “best goal scorer in the last 20 years” and yet we’ve only won one round in 8 years.

How can this be???!
I think it's the white vertical stripe on their pants. All their kits would look much better without it, even the Bieber ensemble. Such an oversight and now look where we are.

Getting goalie'd by Korpo is a consideration, but it's mostly the white vertical stripe.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
lol oh all of a sudden winning a memorial cup matters now and makes you a winner? Remind me who his line mates were
Yes, a history of winning gets you the winner label. I don’t think it’s a fluke that he has his name on the Cup.

Marner was on his team, but we don’t know what happened to him. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a different beast it’s not a fluke that Leafs have only one series win.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, a history of winning gets you the winner label. I don’t think it’s a fluke that he has his name on the Cup.

Marner was on his team, but we don’t know what happened to him. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a different beast it’s not a fluke that Leafs have only one series win.

We know what happened and it’s not hard to identify. Hockey is a team sport. You win and lose as a team. To try and single out one players as the reason a team loses is stupid. Point, blank, period.

Nothing has happened to Marner, he’s still the same guy he was in junior but that team
Was the right mix of guys. In Toronto it’s probably not the right mix and yeah I’ll concede they probably have to change up the group. But I have no doubts that any of our core could go on and have success on other teams are first line guys in the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
2018 - Game 7 choke job
2019 - Game 7 choke job
2020 - Game 5 choke job
2021 - Game 7 choke job
2022 - Game 7 choke job
2024 - Game 7 choke job

We’ve changed the players around these gutless pukes for years now and the results have been the same but people want to blame secondary scoring and depth? I’m sure this will be the year that all changes with Tanev, OEL and Stolarz in the fold LOL

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Winning habits. He’s won a memorial Cup, two Eastern titles and a Stanley Cup. I really like that. It’s not a fluke.
A Memorial Cup? Oh that tourney where Marner led all scorers with 13 points in 3 games. Yeah Tkachuck had 6 points. Pff points don’t mean squat apparently. lol!

Reactions: francis246

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is the floor. Tough to expect the better player to take less although taking a discount would be great.
Nylander is the ceiling. Tough to expect the weaker player to take more and taking a discount would be great.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Maybe Marner just needs a change of scenery where he is not relied upon as much.
I suspect that a change of scenery, specifically not playing with the best goal scorer in the league, may not improve his stats.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
My perspective is perhaps a little different from most, I'm English, lived here most my life and only visited Toronto once (for a Leafs game) so i've not lived it and breathed it like many of you guys. Football/Soccer is my first love. I found hockey in my late teens as a Nottingham Panthers fan then needed more and the Leafs became it...

But man, I know these guys are millionaires, but I feel a little sorry for Mitch. I've followed the Leafs for about 15/16yrs, so a lot of it has been rubbish, Mitch was a part of a new era, with some mad talent, so i'm grateful for him elevating the Leafs again. He's definitely underperformed in the Play-Offs, but he's not the only one and the pressure of playing in Toronto is evident. I feel like he's being ran out of town a bit and it's sad to see.

Maybe moving is for the best, the cap saving could be a game change for re-distributing the money better. I don't blame Mitch for having a NVM, agents run most shows now sadly and act solely in the best interests of their client. Sure, I wish he'd left a little on the table to increase the team's chances of winning and therefore his in conjunction, but it's hard to criticise not doing so too heavily.

When he goes, which I imagine will be next summer in free agency, i'll have loads of good memories of a prodigious talent who played for his hometown team and lit it up for a long time. I hope he doesn't get boo'd.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

How can this be???!
I was kind of wondering the same thing. All these super skilled hard working players and the best GM in Dubas and yet still only 1 round win…….must be all on the coach or just maybe it’s all bad luck…………..or COVID’s fault.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

How can this be???!
GettyImages-1503639313-scaled.jpg

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I don’t look at just one thing. Both can skate both can shoot but Tkachuk is a winner with winning habits. I like winners so as of the end of last season I think tkachuk is the better player. Matthews has potential, but it’s hard to overcome his lack of compete.

That is not what is defined as an intangible. Those are team accomplishments.

intangible (noun)
: something intangible: such as
: an asset (such as goodwill) that is not corporeal
: an abstract quality or attribute

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Oh Oh Oh .. I know ..I know....

2015-16-Championship-007-1024x831.jpg

Did you know Marner was the Memorial Cup’s most valuable player and leading scorer with two goals and a dozen assists in four games?

Intangibles!!!!?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I was kind of wondering the same thing. All these super skilled hard working players and the best GM in Dubas and yet still only 1 round win…….must be all on the coach or just maybe it’s all bad luck…………..or COVID’s fault.

You think this sort of shit helps players focus on winning?

You suck, you suck, you suck, he tells them you want to be glory hounds, go be glory hounds.... if this is the sort of stuff he says in front of cameras what is he saying privately when the cameras are not rolling? These guys are elite athletes, they know when they are getting their ass kicked, you dont need to remind them, if they have not corrected on their own, it is the coaches job to say, hey this is what they are doing to you, do this, this and this to counter balance it. Your job as a coach is to get their minds free of negative thoughts and ready to play hockey and not focus on the negative. If the player is doing something structurally that can be corrected , tell him how to correct it and move the f*** on. That Pasta stretch play in OT that won them the last series, it was 100% talked about in the intermission. They knew they were going to do that because they saw something in the game that told them the weak side will be open. Keefe sure as shit didn't see it until the puck was in our net.

Win one for the Gipper speeches dont work, the team didn't didn't need motivation, they need a coach to do the X's and O's. The Leaf's in the last 8 playoff rounds looked like a team with out a game plan and they were just shooting from the hip, calling audibles at will, lets try whatever comes to mind. The 8 playoff rounds they lost all had the same DNA, they were outcoached, out strategized. If you are an X and O's type guy, watch the game closely for the moment the other coach adjusts to Keefe's game plan, all of a sudden what was effective is no longer effective and the Leafs just keep doing the same shit over and over and over and over again to complete failure. Keefe is a one trick pony, he has zero clue how to adjust, he is not a X and O type coach. That famous quote from Keefe, it's not verbatim but you'll get the point, where he was asked are you worried about line matching and his response was we dont line match, the other team will need to line match us... seriously? That came out of the mouth of a NHL coach?

Being coached by Keefe is like trying to swim the English channel with a 50lbs backpack full of rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
We know what happened and it’s not hard to identify. Hockey is a team sport. You win and lose as a team. To try and single out one players as the reason a team loses is stupid. Point, blank, period.

Nothing has happened to Marner, he’s still the same guy he was in junior but that team
Was the right mix of guys. In Toronto it’s probably not the right mix and yeah I’ll concede they probably have to change up the group. But I have no doubts that any of our core could go on and have success on other teams are first line guys in the playoffs.

You'd think reasonable people would understand that point. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. I guess there is a level of immaturity in every fan base.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That is not what is defined as an intangible. Those are team accomplishments.

intangible (noun)
: something intangible: such as
: an asset (such as goodwill) that is not corporeal
: an abstract quality or attribute
Ahhhh….It is a team game, that’s precisely what we’ve been saying for years.

I’ve seen a team that had four players making ~50% of the cap, and they never win. Then I compare that group with what I’ve witnessed for 60 yrs and can easily see the difference.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Who singled out one player? Why did you bring up Marner when I was giving my reasons why I’d choose Tkachuk over Matthews, right now?

• Haha

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's a hell of a nice scapegoat campaign y'all got goin on Keefe :laugh:

Wasn't even a Keefe fan at all (quite the opposite) but y'all really are pinning Mitch's playoff choking on him :laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who singled out one player? Why did you bring up Marner when I was giving my reasons why I’d choose Tkachuk over Matthews, right now?
Regular influence programming just running its magic.

Repeat the nonsense of "why you guys only blaming one player" when nobody is doing any such thing and you'd be shocked how many people cling onto it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why yes, you stated Tkachuk was a leader and referenced the memorial cup. I simply stated that going by point totals, Marner was more than twice the leader Tkachuk was in that tourney.
If I had a choice to pick either Tkachuk or Matthews to fill out the last spot on a team to play for a Cup today, I would take Tkachuk. When you compare resumes, they have similar point totals over the past three yrs, but the difference, imo, is Tkachuk has won and displayed that he’s willing to sacrifice to win.

What does Marner have to do with any of that?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00